Get ready, NE states..WINTERS COMING!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Can't stop now (formerly Dragons Wish Farm)
Reaction score
Just finished the local news here in NC, and saw something on the weather I thought I'd share. Even though there is a possible hurricane developing to the south, won't visit us because of large low pressure to west. However, as it (I think his name is Stan) moves north and out to sea, a stong high pressure over Canada looks to force a pincher type trajectory directly into the MD/PA/NY area.

If that's not enough for you, the opinion of meteorologists here is that it COULD BE A HISTORY MAKING STORM!!! :-(

I suppose I noticed it because I'm a transplant from MN/ID and spent the day working on winterizing. We caulked some leaks, I gave Casper his (probably) last bath of the year, prepped a fall flower garden to move my potted roses into.....and then fell out!!!! LOL

SOOOOOOO...out of a desire to warn my northern friends.....call me Chicken Little.....'cause I think the sky's a fallin'!!!!! COOOOOO KA ROOOOOOO KA ROOOOOOOO!!!!! ;-)

We had a storm here in New England last Halloween and lost power for 9 days. It was an experience for sure, its amazing how we take things like a hot shower for granted.

Thanks for the heads up it's certainly something to watch.

Don't send it to Vermont!!! I'm enjoying our unseasonably warm weather but one year, we did have a blizzard on Halloween.

They still have it on the same track this a.m.......so I'd prepare just in case. Be sure to have longies ready to wear under those Halloween costumes!! LOL Oh, by the way, got his name wrong....it's storm Sandy.

I am 15 minutes by car to the NY border. I am NOT ready for winter or snow! I am getting much too old for this crap, lol. I personally think bears are a lot smarter than humans. They hibernate the winter away. Wish I could too.

I've been wearing shorts and tee shirts all week hahahah.......hit me.
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Sandy is still headed north. This will be a blustery, overcast rest of week here in NC, with tropical storm watches over the weekend. Pretty overcast rught now, but still warm...we've been doing shorts and tees here too!!

Right now, they're predicting landfall in NJ mid-week, category 1, blizzards possible.....I'm sorry y'all..... :-( .......if it makes you feel better, it will be high in 50's and lows in 30's for us.....

I will definitely be bedding stall deeper and purchasing sweaters this weekend!!! LOL

I'm almost ready, still need to take a trip to the store for sodas, but I think I've got everything else I need.

In a fit of pique, I did the following to prepare for this weather, since after this weekend it will be YUCKY (read this as overcast, highs mid 50's-lows mid 30's) all next week.

Put all potted roses, petunias, gardenias, violets, violas and mums into flower beds.

Raked pasture, cleared drains in ditches (since last rains were so heavy ditches flooded), and burned all pine needles and branches.

Went around exterior of house and made a weatherization list (only need to insulate water line), and made a grocery list.

The only.....issue....we have is the bathroom. Stepped out of the shower Wed. and the floor broke through!!! :-O My husband pulled the vinyl up when he came home for lunch, and we discovered the whole floor is ROTTEN!!! GRRRRRRRRR This is a leased property and the owner is in Kuwait/Spain the next 6 weeks, so guess who pays for repairs??? Fortunately,we have a very good relationship with owner, so there will be no problems with reimbursement.

Saturday I'll pick up extra shavings for Casper, get the rest of the groceries and we should be good to go on basic supplies. Sunday we pick the floor repair supplies, and Sunday and Monday the repairs get done.

We'll keep our prayers going that Frankenstorm will just blow on out to sea and you folks up north will get to heave a sigh of relief...Julie

Back