Gestation Guesses from these pics of mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wtgr36

Reaction score
We bought this mare on April 19th 2009. Previous owner said she was bred and due in February, and that this would be her 5th foal according to owners before they bought her and her colt in late 2007.

She had a positive Wee Foal test taken at what I thought was 120 days gestation according to their calculations.

http://s995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/wtgr36/Foaling/

Would love any iinput from anyone out there....feel free to comment or ask questions.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely not what you want to hear but I'd be questioning if she was pregnant. Her udder should be developing more than that and if her milk has never been sticky (maybe it was sticky and went beyond that into the skim milk type already) She just doensn't look very pregnant to me. So she's either really close to foaling (without much of an udder) or she's not going to foal at all. That's my take on her. Have you felt the foal or seen it moving. You should definitely be able to see/feel it if she's that close to foaling.

I hope that she is going to give you a foal and i am wrong.

Definitely not what you want to hear but I'd be questioning if she was pregnant. Her udder should be developing more than that and if her milk has never been sticky (maybe it was sticky and went beyond that into the skim milk type already) She just doensn't look very pregnant to me. So she's either really close to foaling (without much of an udder) or she's not going to foal at all. That's my take on her. Have you felt the foal or seen it moving. You should definitely be able to see/feel it if she's that close to foaling.

I hope that she is going to give you a foal and i am wrong.

Thank you for your response. I am really questioning if she is in foal or not. I've been testing milk for a few weeks. Thought I saw movement after she ate a few times about a month ago and prior to that a few times but could be wrong. I'm thinking that I should be seeing major movement now if she is due when they said she is. The window is closing, as she could have gotten in foal as late as early April, so I'm guessing she's not. I appriciate your time responding.

Yes, the movements you see 2-3 weeks before delivery are very obvious. It is the movements of the foal getting it's head and feet correctly aligned and pointing in the right direction. Your weefoal test had just one line and no traces of another? I know I've had the second line be very faint and it was still a nonpregnant result (2 lines = nonpregnant). When I've had a trully pregnant result there is not a hint of anything in the area where the second line would be.

amanda

not to hijack the thread but why is she able to milk he if she is not in foal ?

Just curious.

Loreen, Your pretty girl does NOT look pregnant. She may have slipped the fetus early on......?

Minimom, It's not uncommon for a broodmare who has had several foals to carry liquid in her bag year round.

Copyoflbsb.jpg
This was her positive test, definately one line, not even a trace of a second line, that is why we thought maybe she was in foal. Thank you for all of the information. I knew as time progressed, she most likely wasn't in foal.

I have 2 mares that US in foal. My first mare has a belly like your mare but then here is a picture of her 30 days before she foaled the last time.

May1623.jpg

She foaled within 30 days of that picture. She now has about the amount of bag as your mare and there is not a lot of movement. I don't know if she slipped the foal but I never saw anything in the pasture. Actually both my mares should be due by the end of this month as I believe April was when I separated them from my stud. I did put Jan 1 to Dec 30 on the stud report though because there could have been a time or two that he got back in with the mares. He has already broken the fence 3 times this year. I don't know. Maybe the breeder has your due dates wrong. I know I must have mine wrong.

I have 2 mares that US in foal. My first mare has a belly like your mare but then here is a picture of her 30 days before she foaled the last time.
May1623.jpg

She foaled within 30 days of that picture. She now has about the amount of bag as your mare and there is not a lot of movement. I don't know if she slipped the foal but I never saw anything in the pasture. Actually both my mares should be due by the end of this month as I believe April was when I separated them from my stud. I did put Jan 1 to Dec 30 on the stud report though because there could have been a time or two that he got back in with the mares. He has already broken the fence 3 times this year. I don't know. Maybe the breeder has your due dates wrong. I know I must have mine wrong.
Thanks for the pic and response, I also never saw anything in pasture if she slipped it....Good luck with your Mares!

Latest posts

Back