Genetic Testing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Fortune

Reaction score
I want to test my mare for red & agouti. She is a bay & I know she has agouti & just dont know if she is hetero or homosygous. Im also not sure if I should test for anything else (tobiano & Lwo) She is mostly solid, but has a bald face, two blue eyes & three socks. She also has sabino roaning through out her body. I know another mare almost identically marked who foaled a beautiful loud lwo filly. So it made me think about having her tested for LWO. Also could the three socks be from tobiano, or could it be something else? Splash maybe? Im still learning so if this doesnt make sense please let me know. Thanks

Lorna

Do you know what color her sire and dam were - if one was a sorrel or chestnut then she has to carry the red gene - if both were bay or one bay, one black then you might want to test to see if she is homozygous black with the red/black test. If one was bay and the other black then she can't be homozygous for Agouti. I wouldn't bother with the tobiano but I would certainly test for lwo- most think only an overo frame patterned horse carries lwo but this is not this case although frames certainly seem to have an abundance of lwo not every frame has it. I know a solid sorrel registered quarter horse that has tested positive for lwo!

I would certainly test for lwo- most think only an overo frame patterned horse carries lwo but this is not this case although frames certainly seem to have an abundance of lwo not every frame has it. I know a solid sorrel registered quarter horse that has tested positive for lwo!
Sorry to disagree with you, but Frame and LWO are the same thing. ALL Frame horses are LWO carriers and ALL LWO positive horses carry the Frame gene. What confuses people on this is that all LWO carriers do not visually SHOW the Frame pattern, but they are capable of producing it in their offspring.

Latest posts

Back