Gelding procedure went fantastically

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Specialk

Reaction score
The vet came to geld Paxton and I was so nervous. I had Swat, antibiotics, and painkillers lined up if needed. I was planning to walk or lounge him for swelling. I was ready for an ordeal.

The vet was amazing. Paxton was sedated and down in mins. Cleaned and disinfected. The vet made an incision and then the extraction. It was over in a minute and no blood anywhere.

He then removed his wolf teeth, which I didn't know was the plan, but was a good thing. He popped them oil while he was laying down. Then we had to wake for he to get back up. he was up in minutes. I slowly walked him back to his pen. He got a foot in and started eating grass like nothing happened.

No bleeding or anything dripping. I put petroleum jelly on the insides of his legs. Next day, nothing. No discharge, no blood, just a faint incision mark. Hardly any swelling that I could see. By the third day, he looked like a horse gelded a year ago. The blood from the surgery was caking and peeling off. But nothing else.

This vet needs a serious award for such a great job. All the worrying is over.

Glad it went smoothly for you. Continue to watch for swelling for several days after, just to be safe. It's common for vets to take out wolf teeth while they are already out for gelding.

Whew! I always dread a gelding. I've never had a problem, but one hears of others. Glad yours went smoothly. It is so much easier to have geldings! Easier to pasture, easier to socialize with other horses, easier to work with.

Yes, good that he took the wolf teeth. If you intend to drive, they would be in the way.

I haven't had to geld in a few years, but the charge was under $100. How does it run in Nebraska?

I should never type things late at night, autocorrect is not my friend.

Just got the bill, the gelding procedure was $145, including a $20 trip charge

That's a pretty good price. I've seen charges into the 100s for a basic gelding procedure before adding in trip fees.

Latest posts

Back