gelding not eating...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Dan

Reaction score
Hmmm.... my young gelding who is 3 yrs old. He's not eating... well barely eating! He's not acting colicky as he's eating grain and grass (when he colics he drops as soon as he sees his feed) but not hay, he tries too, but just spits it out and gags, I tried grass a few minutes ago ate a bit and spit it out again, I called bthe vet a few hours ago and she suggested soaking hay and updating her tommorow, I soaked hay just now and won't eat just paws it. The vet was just out not but a week ago and floated his teeth. He is shedding caps so is it that?? Could his teeth hurt him??? he's running around and playing pooping peeing and drinking. He dose have a tendancy to chew on twigs so I'm afraid he's got one stuck in his tracea, the vet said if she comes out shell check. I'm just worried it could be more.so should I call again or sit it out has anyone ever had this problem???

I bet something is still going on with his teeth...... Call the vet and stomp your feet too!

Hmmm.... my young gelding who is 3 yrs old. He's not eating... well barely eating! He's not acting colicky as he's eating grain and grass (when he colics he drops as soon as he sees his feed) but not hay, he tries too, but just spits it out and gags, I tried grass a few minutes ago ate a bit and spit it out again, I called bthe vet a few hours ago and she suggested soaking hay and updating her tommorow, I soaked hay just now and won't eat just paws it. The vet was just out not but a week ago and floated his teeth. He is shedding caps so is it that?? Could his teeth hurt him??? he's running around and playing pooping peeing and drinking. He dose have a tendancy to chew on twigs so I'm afraid he's got one stuck in his tracea, the vet said if she comes out shell check. I'm just worried it could be more.so should I call again or sit it out has anyone ever had this problem???
Could be a number of things. I would also wonder if there is an infection from the tooth floating? That happened to me once (tooth root in the sinus), so just a thought. Also, maybe the tooth floating still needs some adjustments? Equine dentist?

Maybe allergies? Can you try some Tri Hist? The gagging reminds me of maybe some mucous or swelling in the throat or esophagus or even the trachea that is affecting swallowing (again- from experience). Mix the Tri Hist in a little pudding and squirt it in. Just another thought. Oh, say, put your hand on the front area of the throat and gently push- gently! If it creates a gagging, then I would bet allergies or something causing the trachea or esophagus to swell.

Good luck. I would have your vet take a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks so much guys,, Ill see about the gagging with his throat I just checked on him from the house and he seems to nibbling on something I'm not sure tho. I am about to go check again and pick out any poop in the barn. Keeps the responses coming please tho as I would deffinatley be interested in others ideas and quite possible past experiences. Thanks.

Dan and one gaggy gelding in new york :^)))

Well I checked on him, he was eating normally, went and umped some manure at a freinds place tossed them some hay back not to eating and gagging I'm at a loss, I tried the allergy test nothing.... now is it possible he does have a tooth problem and is just eating when he gets hungry enough???? Do horses do that????

If horses have food round the clock, they will stop eating periodically.... however, will NEVER gag on food unless something is wrong!!! We lost a full sized horse to choke many years ago and it was not fun let me tell you. However if he is able to drink AND swallow water (it's not coming back out his nose?) then at least that is a good sign.

Something is wrong here, and I would insist that the vet come out and do a thorough exam to see what is going on. You dont want to wait until you have a REALLY sick horse with much more problems and a much higher vet bill!!!

K guys this is my last update for a while:promise lol. So I got up looked out the window and my little butt head

is eating gag free figure that. Any suggestions why he goes on. And off??? I'm not to worried th

Quik edit as too I just saw hgs post: yes he's drinking and swallowing and I doubt he's choking as he keeps going on and off with gagging and eating gagging and then eating, everything normal but that ugh sigh it was a lot easier when I had rabbits as youngin. But not nearly as fun or interesting. Dan.

I agree horses are much more fun than rabbits... been there, done that. However, there is something wrong that is making him gag off and on... that is just not normal. And dont mind your posts!! Better to post what you are seeing and perhaps someone will hit on an idea that might be it.

Can a horse possibly be allergic to grass or something in particular and cause swelling, like in a person- of the throat? Maybe when he quits eating the swelling starts to go down? Dont know, just throwing ideas out there.....

I would be wanting someone to check for an abcess or something else that might be going on in his mouth or something.

Thanks HG. So I brought horses in for the night he seemed to be eating grain slower than usual, but he ran for his bucket like normal happy as a clam no depression or anything. He took a draw of water, didn't eat his hay right away but quickly started to gobble it up. They are not out to pasture, our hay is all very nice soft leafy green grass hay. The sellers also raise minis so they know a bit of the the nutritional needs of minis... plus I always enjoy seeing the foalies. But back on track, I am calling the vet in the AM as she needs an updat and hopefully will come out and do a checkup, plus I need to discuss a dewroming routine and there's not much I can do alone at this point I'm just hoping its a minor root problem or needs a flot touch up. I love this forum. Especially cuz no mini horse people are around here so I'm all. Alone on my little horse island. Dan.

last update: I always give the horses a quarter flakew of hay when they are brought in, that was at 8:30 I just went to feed at 10:15 ish and thes was still cleaning up his hay. He ate grain some gagging and turning his head from side to side (new one there)but polished it all off I gave him his whole ration of hay and grain so he can eat when he gets hungry. I am def call the vat asap tommorow morning now I'm going to bed good night thanks to everyone more advice is greatly appreciated. Will update after vet possible appnt if not phone call.. probably won't be till early evening tho. Dan. Also drank half buxket of five gallon bucket, still swallows, amybe to wash down feed¿??? Dan.

Let us know, poor guy- there is definitely a problem. Hopefully the vet will be out and take a good look and find the problem. If not, I would find another vet!!!! Something is certainly wrong! Keep us posted!

Ok vet came out, thought it was simply loose caps loosened when she floated his teeth, he was like inhaling hay cuz he didn't finish his breakfast, and then lo and behold he's back to not eating, no gagging which is good I guess so I'm guessing they'll need to be pulled, which I've heard is recommended anyway but at least now I know why, then he was eating again and then none so seems like he eats when his motuh doesn't hurt, but will call vet again for her opinion. Dan.

Ok vet came out, thought it was simply loose caps loosened when she floated his teeth, he was like inhaling hay cuz he didn't finish his breakfast, and then lo and behold he's back to not eating, no gagging which is good I guess so I'm guessing they'll need to be pulled, which I've heard is recommended anyway but at least now I know why, then he was eating again and then none so seems like he eats when his motuh doesn't hurt, but will call vet again for her opinion. Dan.

Hmmmm....Did she not pull out the loose caps? Why not? I had a similar issue with Royal in October/November. He, all of a sudden could not eat (I say couldn't, because he was wanting to
default_no.gif
). His face was also "swollen" from the caps pressing out. I called the vet and he knocked them out and did a float and he was eating in 10 mins
default_laugh.png

This is sounding STUPID........(not you, Dan -- the VET)

Perhaps ANOTHER vet is in order here???

In the meantime, I'd be feeding him soft feed and beet pulp.........AAARRGGGHHH. It's not HIS fault he can't eat, he obviously WANTS to! :arg!

A cap did falll out of his mouth this morning I watched it fall and the vet felt around and only felt one that was loose so perhaps more are loose after words I'm not sure I'm calling again in the morning, his face is not swollen and I love my vet, she's awesome, she's been my geldings vet since he's been a wee foal and his mothers since she came up to NY from OH as a wild un trained three year old, and has worked on our llamas for even longer probably 30 yrs or so and I've known her for about six-seven years and has been here to always answer my frantic phonecalls and really trusts my opinion and will base treatment and condition levels just from my opinion even on the llamas, I must say I'm quite honored. His loose cap he either swallowed or it fell out when he was eating but I will definatley call again as I hate watching him spit his feed out, its not his fault, my vets fault, nor my fault, it happens naturally, if there's a problem, she will find it and fix it I never ever underestimate her intelligence or strength she's simply amazing. Dan.

Update: it appears all his caps have fallen out naturally. It is to my understanding there are four?? Well another fell out this am only in his grain bucket, if the vet succesfully knocked the one she felt yeasterday loose then this shoudl number three, and it appears number four fell out as well as now he's eating fine for everything treats hay and grass and has all day! I need to call to update the vet later tonight. Just soo refreshing to see him eating fine. Thanks to all. Dan and one happy horse in new york :^))))

So no more gagging, head shaking, spitting out food, etc...???????? I hope not, though Miniv, I have to agree with you on some things............ Our equine dentist would have removed the caps right then if they were that loose... why wait til the spit, swallow or gag them out?

I find an occasional tooth in the feeder, LOL but not always. Sometimes they are just gone... and never found.
default_smile.png
Hope your boy is good to go now!

Yep eating normally everything back to normal its just such a releif he can eat now :^))))

Latest posts

Back