Gelding is Meowing....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildoak

Reaction score
One of our geldings got into the cat food this afternoon. I don't know how long he had access, or how much he ate - it's a big Rubbermaid tote we fill for all the barn cats. He seems fine, acting normal, just a little concerned since cat food isn't exactly on the prescribed diet LOL. Is there anything harmful in it for horses?

Jan

Don't know if it is harmful, but might want to watch if he chases mice
biggrin.gif

Depending on how much he ate, it probably won't hurt him. I know my horses love it and I can't leave the cat bowl around where they can get into it! You might want to give him some Probios and maybe a little mineral oil if you think he got more than just a few bites.

I don't think it will hurt him unless he ate a massive amount, say over a pound of it. Cat food doesn't contain much in it for harmful ingredients - even the meat products are in such minimal quantities. However I would suggest keeping an eye on him and like Becky said, maybe give him some Probios or mineral oil just to keep things moving on out into his litter box....
wink.gif

I bet the next time you call him for dinner, iof you yell... Here Kitty, Kitty! He will come. I would give him oil if her ate more than a few moutfuls and watch him. My girls always grab a mouthful almost every day when I am not looking!

Although funny I do hope he didn't gorge himself on it. Colic signs may not show up for hours so you may want to check with your vet and maybe have him tubed to be on the safe side if you think he may have gotten a large amount.

Well, he survived the cat food......hasn't been chasing mice or climbing trees
biggrin.gif
so I think we are out of the woods. I was concerned since I don't know how much he ate, but apparently not enough to hurt him. My guys are always stealing a bite of dog food from the bowls LOL, cat food just isn't generally within reach.

Jan

Glad to hear he is doing alright! They find ways to scare us, ( or make us appreciate when things are going well!!) Bad little horsies.

Jan,

I'm glad to hear he's doing fine, but I think someone did have a problem with a horse eating cat food. I think Clara Woodson (Walter on the forum?) had a filly the other year that got into cat food and ended up with kidney problems?

I'm glad to hear that your boy is doing fine.

There is a reason as to why Cat food is for Cats, Dog food is for Dogs, and Horse food is for Horses, and that is that these foods are specifically designed for these animals!!!!!!

Cat biscuits WILL swell when added to water, so if eaten in large amounts by a horse, will most likely cause an impaction.

It's best to always keep the feeds separate, as to not only make a mistake and give the wrong feed, but to stop them being able to access it. We do it with our horse feed, as we know too well what can happen if our little friends get into that.

saludando.gif
Nicole

Latest posts

Back