Gelding Contract

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwoodsnanny

Reaction score
Can someone post what they include in a contract when selling a colt that must be gelded before papers are sent? I am selling a colt but want to be sure to put gelding in as part of the sale since I reduced the price based on the colt being gelded. If you dont want to post it here can someone send me an example of the language to [email protected]? Thanks in Advance.

Nita

I generally include something stating below the price and then in the sale terms that the price reflects a discount as a gelding and also gelding is full responsibility of the buyer and all reg. papers and necessary paperwork will be provided within 30 days following proof of the gelding being shown. Paperwork &/or transfer will not be provided prior to horse being gelded. The buyer understands that the gelding procedure and all veterinary associated costs are the buyers responsibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is a done deal but, for future reference, I either castrate them myself or offer to have it done, if I have kept the colt entire for a reason.

The other "trick" up my sleeve is to put a sum on top of the purchase price that is refundable on proof of breeding.

I find this is a better motivation to geld than selling at a discount price.

Once they have moved the colt out of the county (or even the country) you have little chance of enforcing a breeding embargo.

Granted holding the papers is some motivation, and always a good idea to have a contract explaining the papers will not follow until there is proof of gelding, that covers you in case they sue you for the papers!

Holding onto the money, though, that is what usually does it for me
default_wink.png

We hold papers and money until proof of gelding is provided including signature of vet who performed the surgery, and then I'll send them their refund and papers..

Back