gas prices /show turnout

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katie12

Reaction score
Just wondering how the gas prices are impacting showing this year? I have heard AMHR shows are down with entries. Also so many farms going out of business this year. I know every year are some but lately there are alot. I was thinking of getting back into showing but I wonder right now might not be a good time.

I guess it depends on how much love you have for the fun of showing your minis.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Just wondering how the gas prices are impacting showing this year? I have heard AMHR shows are down with entries. Also so many farms going out of business this year. I know every year are some but lately there are alot. I was thinking of getting back into showing but I wonder right now might not be a good time.
I just returned from the Western Championships in Reno and the entries looked normal to me with four full days of classes. Entries from all over the western states.

Gas prices are taking a toll over here, and we would normally have half the distances you would travel.

Diesel has just topped 99p( $1.88) a litre = $8.40 a gallon.

Of course other things, such as cost of living, etc, has to be taken into account, but, I reckon in any language, that is pretty expensive!!
default_sad.png

I have not done as many shows as I initially thought I would this season, but it has nothing to do with gas prices... Since showing is a "luxury" and an extra from the word go, to me, if I want to go to a show, the gas prices are not a factor. To me the big expense truly is my time into the horses, and time away at the show.

I don't think gas prices are putting farms out of business. There is a very serious drought out west and hay is scarce and very expensive when found. A friend in Nebraska has sold down because of the continueing hay shortage.

Good Morning,

Yes, gas prices are having some reflection on the horse shows and their numbers. My observation has been that most horse show people who show over 5 shows a year, pick which shows they want to attend due to working on Hall of Fame points on their horses. Some of these shows only have one horse in a class and it isn't cost effective to attend a less attended show than one that has always maintained higher numbers or shows that have been around 10+ years.

Our club, the ASPC/AMHR Club of North Texas host three shows a year. Our annual Daffodil Dandy show in the Spring (300 horses) our June Jubliee show (280 horses) and our annual Halloween spooktacular show in October will have close to 300 horses as this show for us here in Texas is the first show of the new show season of 2007.

You ask how that can be when we are still in 2006? Well, anything after the AMHR National Miniauture Horse show which is the cut-off show for the current show season is a new show for the next year. We have a record turn-out for our Halloween show since people can start qualifying for the AMHR National show again next year.

When you look at the show calendar on the ASPC/AMHR Registry site, there are some shows out there that only do one show a year. You need to look at these shows and support them even more to help them either get their numbers up or maintain their numbers. This is especially true for those Area's that have a hard time with having any type of a show in their area ie. Area III, Area VII and sometimes in Area 1. Area's IV, V and VI usually have great turnouts and Area VIII is coming along pretty well themselves.

How do I know? I'm also the chairman of the ASPC/AMHR/ASPR Triple A Amateur Program and I handle all of the High Point Amateur Awards for our local shows across the Nation. I'm seeing more new people attending these shows now.

Our gas prices aren't going away and we all have to assess what our goals are for each Miniature or Pony that we show and have to make good use of our time and money.

Karen Shaw

Entries have been up from last year at the two shows we've attended so far, and gas is currently 1.15/litre here.

We just had our AMHR HAME show last weekend and classes were larger than last year.

We have 5 of us who show together so that helps on gas prices. we split the truck gas into 5 units and go from there. we have a new stock trailer that can very easily fit 11 minis.

we also chose to show in 3 shows per year and stick to those within 3 hours of us. we do hope to add a 4th show next year.

jennifer :saludando:

I do not show, but fuel prices are certainly affecting my travel. I live in the middle of nowhere and in previous years, thought nothing of making a 3 hour trip to Dallas or Tulsa on the weekends. We have certainly cut down on that and are trying to make every trip count for as many purposes as possible.

When you say you are "thinking of getting back into showing", if that means buying a horse(s), the time to do it is when many are selling out. More to choose from and lower prices.

We've gone to one open show so far this summer. We are planning to show in the WCMHR Championships next month. If we weren't already here in Williamston, where these shows are, I don't know that we would show at all this year. :no: Its been tough for me.

Like Kendra said the 2 shows so far there have been more people attending then ever. We also thought that the price of fuel and everything else including entry fees going up would lower the amount of horses or farms showing up but didn't seem to stop them which was great as we had some huge classes for a change..

I show "R" and we are very lucky here in Oklahoma to have 4-5 shows a year that are within 3-4 hours of Oklahoma City. The NW Ark club holds two of their shows in Claremore wich is about a 2 1/2 hr drive for me. The Miniature Horse & Pony Breeders of OK had two show this year and they hosted the Area 5 show this year (they usually have 3 shows a year). The Area 5 show was in Shawnee which is 45 minutes from home and the other two show were down in Ada Ok which is about an 1 1/2 drive for me.

I have not traveled outside the state in the last couple of years, especially this year since doing chemo in early spring.

The fuel prices are $2.89 for gas and $2.99 for diesel at the store on the corner from the house. I have been traveling with a friend this year and we split the fuel costs and that helps both of us and we don't have motel costs since her trailer has a living quarter. If I was traveling by my self I might have to rethink going to more shows than was needed to qualify for Nationals.

Talked with Larry Parnell last weekend and he said that so far only 2 Area shows have had more than 100 horse entered, one was Area 5 that had 159 horse and I believe he said the other was Area 8 that had about the same size entry. He was also saying that the entry for "R" Nationals might be upwards of 2000 horses this year. If so, that will be another big jump from last years 1700. Our local shows seems to be holding their own as far as numbers.

Gas prices hit us in 2 areas - showing is only one..

The one that has affected me more is in the cost of transporting ponies. A lot of people who show and breed are in the west or far mid-west, and most just can't afford to buy a pony from Ohio then transport it to Texas or Washington or California! :no: I can't tell you how many sales have been "final" until someone gets a transportation quote.

It's also easier to sell horses for a good price to homes that will generate more sales if you can show the "big" shows like Congress or Nationals. Let's face it - the people who can afford to pay a reasonable price are usually at those shows. But a lot of people just can't afford the expenses when the shows are so far away. I try to select just one or two ponies to send to Congress each year with someone else and save the expense of going myself - but that's no fun!
default_sad.png
I know there's been talk of this before .. and it will probably never happen ... but rotating show areas would be more fair. Many professionals are going to go where the show is no matter what, though of course they have to pass the cost on to their clients. But for many amateurs, the distance is not not do-able and having the opportunity to show at a big show at least every few years would generate more interest.

(Also, choosing show grounds that don't cost a fortune would help .... $65 for a stall at Congress this year .. yikes! We have a beautiful show ground in this area (no, it's not central) with covered and indoor arenas that charges $25 ... come on down! LOL)

While I'm on a roll! :lol:

.... for ASPC and AMHR, more emphasis on Area National shows - such as AMHA does - would help give people other "big show" choices. Get rid of the 1 judge system, and go to at least a 3 judge system. Require more classes and make it at least a 3 day show. I don't know what other areas do, but the class selection in Area II National Show when it's held in Ohio STINKS :new_shocked: Mostly the required halter & driving classes. Where are the obstacle, jumping, liberty, and more interesting driving classes that bring out new people and keep youth involved? Where are the incentives for showing geldings? Someone just bought a pony from me and wants to train it for walk trot for their grandaughter to show in Ohio.... but try to find a show that has a walk-trot class in this area! If we don't keep people interested and draw new people in, especially youth, a lot of us are all going to be out of business despite gas prices because we won't have anyone to buy our horses or ponies. JMO
default_unsure.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back