Gardasil

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steph_D

Reaction score
I apologize if I offended anyone with my question. I'm leaving the link up that I'd posted, but I'm leaving. Like I'd said, I wasn't condeming anyone, just asking for opinions from parents like myself.
default_no.gif
I'm leaving the original link up so people can be informed.

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
I lost my best friend because of HPV. So, I am very aware of how bad HPV can be but when the doctor tried to give my 14 year old daughter the vaccine, I told her no way.

The doctor was very mad at me but I wouldn't be bullied into it. From what I've read this vaccine is certainly not without risk. To each their own, but it wasn't for me or my daughter.

My daughter has had all 3 shots - I had to weigh heavily the risk but in the long run it was worth it to me and I feel very comfortable with my decision.

Personally, I find it a very scarey thing.

Just think.. 1st of all it hasn't been out that long and we are having the large % of a generation vaccinated.

Not taking in consideration the side effects to the girls being vaccinated my concerns are what could be the effects to the future generations (their kids) from it?

Is this one that can increase birth defects?

Before hearing about all of the reactions and side effects, I was still very cautious about this vaccine. My main concern was that they hadn't tested it enough to know what it's going to do to these women 20, 30, 40 years down the road. It *might* prevent cervical cancer, but at what cost? I'm not condeming anyone for getting their daughter the vaccine, but I do like to hear their reasoning.

I'm not condeming anyone for getting their daughter the vaccine, but I do like to hear their reasoning.
I do not have children and I do not plan to have children, but, I can imagine that a parent's reasoning would be to try to prevent disease. PERIOD. Why else would you get any vaccine? To prevent whatever the vaccine is for! PERIOD. I don't have to make this decision, but, if I were a parent, I would weigh the risks and the benefits before making my decision. Honestly, I don't think that there is a right or a wrong answer to this one. Why is it bad for a parent to want to protect their child? Why would a parent want to risk their child's health (by getting the vaccine and it potentially being dangerous or by not getting the vaccine and leaving their child unprotected)? Good parents ask themselves these kinds of questions everyday. Sending your child to school is a requirement, but sending your child to school is also a risk. They COULD get kidnapped at the bus stop, they COULD die in a schoolbus crash, they WILL be exposed to germs, there COULD be a fire at the school. Good parents try to protect their children by teaching them NOT TO talk to strangers, NOT TO act out on the schoolbus (because it could distract the driver), TO wash their hands often, TO "stop, drop, and roll", etc.

Goodness Angela. I didn't mean to offend you. I have 2 daughters and I have weighed the risks of this "vaccine" against the risks of HPV and it's just not worth it to me. That's MY and my husband's opinions and we stand by that decision. I saw the story on the news about a girl in Kansas who now has lupus after getting the vaccine. Would she have gotten the HPV virus? My guess is probably not but now she is a VERY sick girl because of this vaccine. IMO they put this out way too fast, like HPV was an epidemic when many had never heard of it.

Like I said, I didn't mean to offend you. I'll go crawl back under my rock now and stay out of your hair
default_unsure.png

Where did I state that I was offended? YOU DID NOT OFFEND ME AT ALL. I thought that I was just participating with a different point of view. My bad! If you read my post I did not make any attacks or snide remarks. I simply tried to encourage those for or against the vaccine to take a step back and weigh this issue as they might weigh any other issue.

I think that you offer a fantastic point of view also, especially:

IMO they put this out way too fast, like HPV was an epidemic when many had never heard of it.
I think the speed at which they put this "on the market" and the shortened study time is a very, very valid issue/concern (FOR ANY MEDICINE or treatment).

Next time, don't be trying so hard to get your feelings hurt.
default_wink.png

I'm not condeming anyone for getting their daughter the vaccine, but I do like to hear their reasoning.
I do not have children and I do not plan to have children, but, I can imagine that a parent's reasoning would be to try to prevent disease. PERIOD. Why else would you get any vaccine? To prevent whatever the vaccine is for! PERIOD.

That is exactly why i chose to get my daughter the vaccines - after discussing it with her. I am very confident in my decision. Agreed that this is not like many other childhood vaccines where choosing to not give them can effect not only my own child but others around them. To me that did not make it any less important.

We never do vaccines, drcarley.com is a great website for everything on that.

I believe if my daughters were that age, I would have them vaccinated. Yes, there are going to be some reactions, but at what percentage compared to the percentage that could die?

Speaking of how quickly they are using this drug, how many are going to rush out and get the swine flu vaccine? It has barely been tested at all. Don't need flaming, just giving you a little food for thought.

To be honest, I'd be worried that the vaccine hasn't been around long enough to know any long term effects it could have. But then again, I don't get flu shots or any of the other "hype" vaccines that people are scared into getting by the government. The thing that I've always wondered is...how do they know that they are preventing things from happening?

If I remember right, Gardasil is the vaccine that claims that it will prevent most young women from developing cervical cancer? Well, how do they know that the majority of those girls who get the shot, would have ever gotten the cancer to begin with? It's not necessarily fair to say that you're preventing say 20 girls from getting the cancer, when chances are, 15 of them wouldn't have gotten the cancer even without the shot. Same with the flu, whose to say that those who get the flu shot, would have ever gotten the flu that year if they hadn't gotten the shot? I guess it's one of those things where people would rather feel like they're "protected", regardless of if that protection is really needed? Maybe instead of spending millions of dollars on trying to find a preventative for those who "may" need it, they should spend that money on finding a cure for those actually affected.

Kind of a strange arguement, why get vaccinated as you may never get the disease anyway.

Do you have home owners insurance, why? Your home may never be damaged in a storm or fire. Do you have car insurance, why? You may never be in an accident. Do you have health insurance, you may never need a surgery or expensive treatment.

Do you vaccinate your dogs for Rabies, your horses for tetanus? There are very few cases of rabies in animals nation wide, very few cases of tetanus but I sure as heck would not want to take the chance of my animals being one of them.

A vaccine to prevent a particularly deadly and often undiagnosed cancer...nothing short of a miracle!! I would get them myself if I was in that age group.

If I remember right, Gardasil is the vaccine that claims that it will prevent most young women from developing cervical cancer? Well, how do they know that the majority of those girls who get the shot, would have ever gotten the cancer to begin with? It's not necessarily fair to say that you're preventing say 20 girls from getting the cancer,

Well I have to wonder then do you choose not to vaccinate your horses and dogs and cats since the odds are theywill nto come down with anything anyways? If so that is fine not making you wrong - it is your choice but I do wonder what the difference is - and if my child is one of the 20 using your numbers then yes it is worth it to me.

I am aware of the side effects of vaccines- Raven had siezures after her first Whooping Cough vaccine she was just a little tiny baby. It was very scary. However we choose to continue on with her vaccines leaving that one out. Granted a bit different as her getting a common disease we vaccinate for well not getting one can effect others not just her.

Another thing of intesrest about flu shots- when I got mine this year and yes due to health problems I get them every year as does my daughter not due to hype but to the simple fact that with 2 chronic lung diseases and a auto immune disease the flu could be deadly for me....

Anyway did you know that most regular flu vaccines thru the years have of course mixed strains in them and the the swine flu portion has been in many years. WHat is new is a vaccine strictly for this strain not the concept or actual vaccine itself. At least that is what I was told when I got the shot this year.

I wasn't bashing anyone for their preference to get vaccines for themselves or their children, I was merely pointing out my concerns and my opinion. I feel very strongly that each of us has to make the best decision for us and our families in all situations.

After reading up on Gardasil and cervical cancer, I learned that the vaccine is meant to fend off sexually transmitted viruses (HPV), which is good because I don't believe that a shot can prevent actual "cancer", why else wouldn't we have a vaccine to prevent breast cancer, ovarian cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, etc?. (There is no cure yet to stop our bodies cells from becoming abnormal due to all the genetic, behavioral, environmental and life style factors we face daily.) I still fear that Gardisil hasn't been around long enough for the FDA to know what kind of affects it can have on those young girls getting it. It kind of reminds me of birth control. A new type comes out and they push it on everyone saying how good it is, but less than 10 years later, the FDA says that they were wrong and they warn people of the risks of it's use (Yasmine, Nuvaring, and the patch for example). But at least with birth control, it's only in your system for a short time, it's not something that's meant to last indefinately. Gardasil has only been around for about 3 years, I sure hope we don't hear bad things within the next 7.

By the way, to answer some questions...yes I have home owners insurance, auto insurance and healthcare. All of those are things that at some point in time, I will most definitely need it's services. It's not a 50/50 chance that I may/may not need them. I do vaccinate my dogs with the shots that the law requires. As for my horses, the only reason I get their shots is because I have no idea what some of them are and I have followed everyones recommendation on getting them. My cat's don't usually get vaccinated.

I have a daughter who is getting to an age where this decision needs to be made and it scares the cr*p outa me.

I'm reserving my decision for a bit, since she's 12.

Ma---

Back