Gabriel "in training"!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHGal

Reaction score
These are pictures from Christmas break....bear with me, there are a lot of them! But, I did downsize them to ~100 kb, so shouldn't upload slowly.

Ok, ok I lied, some of them are from Thanksgiving break--you know, the ones that I lost...well, I found them(most, anyway).

Julie is usually very careful not to let humans 'hug' her or in any way threaten her escape route(we think she was messed up by previous owners)...so this was a big step for her! She was very excited to see me home!

f0a11405.jpg

Dan, before the rains came and he looked like a mudball! The pictures of Pippin didn't really turn out that well...so no pics of the now 2 yr old! Oh well...actually, the pictures that did turn out are of a nose, or a couple of hooves, or a bunch of mane--not exactly what I want to show you!

f0a113fb.jpg

And Fascination, first, in my soft collar and reindeer antlers, with a good friend's sleigh bells on! This was for our Christmas Drive.

f0a0f8f1.jpg

Then, Fascination in her new carriage(Jerald A that we have been using for three years, but were borrowing), with her new leg wraps on! They are mostly show/fun wraps, but do provide minimal protection and stay well. She looked a bit like a poodle!

Working on our lengthened walk:

f0a0fa88.jpg

Just cruising!

f0a0fa80.jpg

And working on our trot work..relaxing and stretching that upper neck down to the bit. I took it easy, but she came back right away to where we had left off.

f0a0fa7a.jpg

Of course, I had to get out Ref and 'torture' her too...so I rode her! She got nice new no-turn bellboots for Christmas! She really prefers driving, but allows riding(eew). I think I was looking down at my new gloves for some reason...wierd, but anyway:

f0a08d6a.jpg

I have more, but it is all of Gabriel, so shall leave that for the next post. As you can see, I really enjoyed working with the horses this break!

And da baby!

First ground driving lesson. He'd been lunged for a while before we got him, so he knew the basics and had had a surcingle on. Only had a bit in a couple of times, once with reins attached. So, for all intents and purposes, first time. Whoever raised him though(he went through an auction to get to the next owner, who gave him to us, so don't know) did an excellent job! I started him in a rubber D-ring snaffle, but he will soon have to move up to a bigger(wider) bit.

Not quite sure about the whole thing...

f0a11303.jpg

This bit stuff is confusing!

f0a085ba.jpg

Since Gabriel had already been for 'walkies' outside, a bit of his first lesson(up and back the property line) and most of his second lesson was outside on the neighborhood streets. This was also because the usual arena was pretty slippery and yucky, due to rain. I had faith in him, however, and it paid off.

Hey, this is actually pretty cool!

f0a113e6.jpg

Walking down the street....(once he figured out it was ok for me to be behind him and that the bit was a good thing, he took to it just fine!)

f0a113ea.jpg

Ahh....butt scritchies! This was his favorite part of the whole drive. He also already had all his voice commands down pat.

f0a113f0.jpg

For his final ground drive, since Mom wanted to drive Shog before I left again, we walked around the block with both of them. Gabriel grounddrove, and Shog drove. Shog was SO happy, and Gabriel looked at the carriage and basically ignored it, no matter where he was in relation to it(of course it helps to have the head gelding pull the scary thing, right?).

f0a113f5.jpg

Then, waiting for the gate to be opened, I drove Gabriel up alongside and stopped him...stood like a pro. Of course, then he thought, hey, lets nibble on my friend here. Bad idea, Gabriel....Shog told him off and then they stood there nice and quiet.

f0a1100e.jpg

Conspirators!

f0b1a4f2.jpg

A wonderful way to end an excellent session!

f0a113f8.jpg

I am very excited about restarting him and hitching this summer! He's still a growing boy...his butt keeps shooting up, though his withers are almost there!

Last edited by a moderator:
He is going to make one really great harness horse- I love the way he is already going!! He was born for this, you know.

NOW no excuses you get back out there and you take pictures of the Pippin- he isThe most important horse on the place, after all!!!
default_yes.gif
:

:aktion033: i love looking at people horses ,thanks for sharing,they are gorgeous horses,
default_wub.png
:

NOW no excuses you get back out there and you take pictures of the Pippin

Yes Pippin, Please!

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

Wow really neat pictures and you have some very beautiful big boys!

The butt scrachies picture reminds me of a little buckskin I have around here...
default_whistling.gif
:

Thanks for shareing!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing those great pics!! Now I can't wait for the spring to hook up again!

Uwww, I can't wait to get home tonight and be able to see the pictures instead of just reading the captions! They sound great. I'm so glad you got out with the horses again; I'm sure they missed you.

Leia

Great Pics! You have some very beautiful horses!
default_wub.png
: They all seemed to have missed you very much!

BTW I love Fascinations leg wraps! Were did you get them?

Latest posts

Back