FYI to all who buy Strategy from TSC

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrs

Reaction score
Just an FYI to anyone who buys Strategy from Tractor Supply Company.

We started buying our strategy from TSC soon after they began selling it. Something about it seemed different to us. We also began to notice a difference in our show horse. Yesterday we went to a feedstore here & bought our feed. As soon as we lifted the stategy bags out of the truck we noticed a difference. Opened a bag & there was the strategy we know & love. Color was darker, pellet was smaller & denser & the smell was even different. My husband called Purina this morning & they've already received several complaints. All complaints are forwarded to the plant/mill that TSC uses.

We will be buying from our local feedstore from now on.

I buy my strategy at TSC, but it seemed to vary even when I was buying it over at my local feed store. I think a lot of purina products are like that though. It was a long time until I noticed a slight difference in batches of the feed.

I just love the new bags to, perfect for handling with gloves
default_rolleyes.gif
default_rolleyes.gif

I just returned a bag I bought at TSC in Dixon , Ca. The smell was off,(I stick my nose in every bag of anything I open) the pellets were not uniform in color (some very dark, some almost white) and I did offer a handful to one of the horses, and he wouldn't touch it.

I went to my regular feed store,not 5 minutes away from the TSC store, bought a bag of Strategy and it is perfect,usual smell and color, horse gobbled it up.

Odd that they would get their Purina feed from different suppliers? I usually don't shop at TSC but they had a sale ad, and it was 2 dollars a bag cheaper. I will stick to my local Family owned Feed Store.

I have noticed in the past that sometimes the color of the pellets will vary slightly from batch to batch, but it always smells the same.

Sue

Last edited by a moderator:
As a employee at TSC here in Michigan, take a look at the experation dates on the bag's seam or ask someone to check the dates. They maybe close or already past their experation shelf date AND YES they can come off the truck this way too. As the equine knowledgable person at my store and the handler of ALL livestock and pet feeds. This is one of my biggist things I always keep a eye out for. If I see any bags that are expired or close, I always open a bag for customers to see as a example and mark all outdated bags down to $4 per bag. I have seen over the years on this fourm about bad batchs of feed coming from TSC from other states and it always makes me very proud that I have hardly no complaints on our feeds at our store. (knock on wood) And I must be doing my job very well to catch any issues before they hit someones barn.

Also, you may ask to see inside the bags as well to see if they are up to your expectations as well. I cut into several bags a week for new customers and folks who would like to see the feed before buying. I have no problems doing that as they are the customer and want them to be happy with their purchase.

Hope this little info helps out a little and good luck as I know not every TSC is the same when it comes to how they run their stores BUT we will do what ever it takes to make the customers happy as Customer Satisfaction is #1!

I went to a Purina seminar where they were really pushing Strategy. The man claimed that no matter where in the country you buy a Purina product it will be exactly the same. No matter the mill it comes from. My thoughts were "allrighty then". He stated that out of 10 train car loads of ingratiates they will refuse 6-7 of them and send them down the road to "the other feed mills". Again insisting that no matter where in the country you buy a Purina product they will all be the same. I think you guys need to be talking to Purina about the differences you are getting so they can get their story striate.

Purina is not and hasn't been a fixed formula feed, so what you get in California can be different than what you get in FL, the Percentages of fat, fiber, protein etc will be the same, but it may not be the exact same mix of ingredients they use a least cost formula, what ever is cheaper. The fixed formula feeds are usually $$$$$

Karen

Latest posts

Back