Furminator

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatCreekFarm

Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]I searched the forum and didn't find anything on "furminators"
default_smile.png
I had this (deshedding) product recommended to me on my latest trip to the vet supply store. The little one was $30 or so, and I thought that was pricey for a cat and dog brush... but now I'm wondering if it might be worth the price? I would be using it on two med-long hair cats and 3 dogs - a smooth jack russell, corgi-heeler mix and smooth fox terrier.
[/SIZE]

I'm tired of vacuuming and immediately afterward, more fur! ! Sometimes I feel like we are swimming in fur around here (and two of the dogs aren't even full-time house dogs) :no: I brush and brush with "regular" pet brushes, and it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference :eek:

Also, will it help reduce cat's hairballs? :smileypuke: (sorry) Oh, and they also had them for horses ($50). Would also welcome any input regarding furminators used on equines - I'm getting two li'l donkeys soon and will be looking at deshedding them next Spring.

default_thumbup.gif
: or
default_thumbdown.gif
: ??

we have two pembroke welsh corgis. there are 3 things i cannot live without. #1-my groomer. #2-the furminator. #3-animal dyson vacuum!!!

i highly recommend the furminator. i bought it when it first came out. it was pricey back then at $50.

i take my dogs to the groomer about every 6 weeks. they get bathed and "carded" (hand stripped). i've been doing this for about 4 months now and there is a very noticeable difference in the amount of shedding.

I LOVE the furminator..I have a persian cat and would be lost without it....I bought my off of Ebay and the cost of the blue small Furminator was only $15.00...so check there. If you want a demonstration video, go to their website or YouTube.

Yeah Furminator! :aktion033:

Thank you SO much for your feedback :aktion033: I just had this feeling it might be well worth the $$$
default_wink.png
: I'm going for it (but will check eBay first- thanks for that tip!). I will probably wish I had gotten it a looong time ago. I just spent nearly two weeks of daily grooming with a little rescue doggy (she was a mess) - clipping, brushing, etc. every day. Something like the furminator would have probably helped us both out a lot
default_yes.gif
:

I like the Furminator a lot but you must use it carefully or you can damage the coat. I also have one for my horses and there is nothing better for shedding those stubborn winter coat remnants.

My son has a grooming business and they use the Furminator. When I got my Corgi pup I picked one up off eBay knowing that I would have a use for it later. I tried it out the other day on the neighbor's shepard/malemute mix and the thing is going to be worth every penny of the $38 that it cost me. It is amazing. I have used shedding combs and brushes in the past, but they cannot touch this.
default_yes.gif
:

Well, I guess I'll be the only one to bash it....but

I bought one (actually 2, because they sounded sooo good), and so did my friend who owns & shows her Cardigans as well....and I bought it just around the time Moxie started blowing coat. So I thought great, I can try it out right away.

Honestly imo, it sucks! I was very glad I purchased them at 'show special prices' (and yes, I saw how much they are in pet stores
default_wacko.png
: )....but my trusty Greyhound comb worked WAAAYYYYYYY better to get the hair out than the furminator did (and faster!!!!)...and yes, you have to be careful using it or you will wreck the coat...another thing I didn't like about it....(the furminator WILL NOT de-mat a coat.....just so you know)

I tried it out on my Mom's St Bernard...the comb was still far better (though I have since found an even better comb for her coat)...and when I got home, I found out my sister had just bought one from a store...and I asked her, she didn't really think it was that great either....

Just my honest opinion....

~kathryn

Thanks again for the reports - the good and not-so-good.. lol. I appreciate it! Earlier today I did buy a small and a medium off of eBay. Not bad prices but not cheap either. Now that I know a little more about the product, I don't think it would have helped me with the little rescue doggy as she was matted horribly and had TONS of burrs and stickers on her. (In a few months she should have a coat that is good as new though.) It should really help with the rest of the gang around here! We don't go to shows but I understand what you are saying about wrecking the coat, so caution will definitely be used
default_yes.gif
:

Can't wait to try it out! :aktion033:

I have the large yellow one for my German Shepherd.

Ive used greyhound combs, undercoat rakes, slickers, chedding blades, etc and the furminator is hands down the best. However, the furminator isnt for every type of coat. I beleive they have the types of coats that it wont work on listed on the website.

I've never heard of it.

Jerry's junk yard doggy Devin has been shedding for months. He's part shark and part serial killer. My house is a mess from him. I am sweeping and mopping sometimes up to two or three times a day. I brush him up at the barn and it still never stops. I was thinking of body clipping him.

He's been wearing the boy's tee shirts in the house. Helps a lot.

I am a certified and professional dog groomer.. and well, I recommend it to very few breed-types.. Mostly I recommend a metal grooming comb with a fine tooth and course side.. lift a section of the hair up and comb out the undercoat section by section.. it's a waste of money.. in my opionion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the large yellow one for my German Shepherd.

Ive used greyhound combs, undercoat rakes, slickers, chedding blades, etc and the furminator is hands down the best. However, the furminator isnt for every type of coat. I beleive they have the types of coats that it wont work on listed on the website.
That's the thing....Moxie is a Cardigan Corgi and they told me it works great for Corgis. My sister's dog is a Rottweiler and my Mom's dog is a St.Bernard....they are ALL on the list that 'works' for the furminator....

And yes, I too have used a wide variety of brushes, slickers, combs, etc, etc, etc, trying to find something that works best for the dog.....the comb I use on the St is not the same comb I use on Moxie, or the Rotti....and my mutt (who has a fairly short coat, but when she sheds I really wonder where it all comes from) a rubber curry works best for her....

So yes, I agree it depends on the coat....but those are 3 completely different breeds which it really didn't work that great on (all with completely different coats) and I am not the only corgi person who has used it and been disappointed....

I just wanted to make sure she had enough info to make an informed decision....I just went by what I had heard in ads, and by the people selling it (I know...always the first mistake), and was very disappointed with them....

~kathryn

The Furminator is just a stripping knife or #40 blade with a handle, plus a fantastic advertising campaign. I haven't bought into it, because I include deshedding with my grooms that need it for no additional charge and therefore cannot "upsell" the Furminator's deshedding program. What I use to deshed (including quality shampoo, leave in creme rinse, high velocity drying, curries, combs and stripping knifes) works great. I've found that for the best results, most dogs need a thorough deshedding every month or so. Even using the Furminator, you all should be washing and drying your dogs beforehand as working on a dirty coat can do damage, just as overuse of the Furminator will stress your dog's coat and skin.

Kathryn, I think the reason you were so unimpressed with the Furminator is that you show and expect different results than most pet owners. When pet owners want deshedding, they want as much undercoat out as possible and then some, which may leave the coat with a flat, glossy look, while most show dog owners want most of that undercoat body left intact, but managable.
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back