Fun Poll - What do you do with your Horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use your horse for primarily ?

• Driving in CDE or other like events.

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Show in sanctioned halter classes

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Show in sanctioned driving or other preformance classes.

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Family pets and/or friends.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Breeding stock primarily.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Volunteer work.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Other, please explain in a post.

Votes: 2 3.0%

• Total voters

JWC sr.

Reaction score
I thought it might be fun to know what folks used the horses they own for primarily. It seems there is a wide variety of uses that we never think about. LOL
default_new_shocked.gif

Have fun with this one!!!
default_aktion033.gif

We do a little bit of everything short of breeding at this point and time although we did breed for some years

I couldn't really answer the poll because we do ALL of these things with our minis!!! If you don't believe me, check out our website!

We show halter and performance in AMHA, PtHA, and AMHR, we breed, we do CDE (American Driving Society events), we do volunteer work with them, and of course we love them as pets! And it isn't just one or two that do these things, MOST of the adults will do just about everything!! Well, OK, we don't breed the gelding.

In addition, we invite 4-H Clubs to the farm to show what you can do with minis, help students from the local Ag Science School with their SAE requirements (and their new mini!), host Equine Science classes, and participate in fundraising demonstrations (driving). Two of our minis have participated in the Massachusetts Equine Affaire - one spending all day in the booth and the other participating in the Miniature Breed Demo.

To love on,and some halter show stuff occsionally. She is learning to pull a cart so hope to do CDE someday? Where she stays, there are three other minis. Two do serious CDE stuff and pleasure trail carting.

Lildrummer

I couldn't really answer properly, as there is really not a'primarily' for me, because....

I have always been an admirer of an 'all-around' horse; when I showed APHA and PtHA after I 'began' in registered horses with QH's, in the mid-fifties-that's always what I wanted...a horse that had the mind, conformation, and athletic ability to 'do it all." I felt the same way about my minis; wanted an 'all around' horse. To that end, with minimal ability to travel and show, I 'made' two AMHA Champions,both geldings, also w/ numerous ROMs between them, and a Top Ten Honor Roll for ME, in the category of Showmanship, along the way--all this w/limited ability to travel widely or often.

I trained all of the horses I've shown in breed shows, WHOLLY;also bred several of them, though I no longer breed. I especially liked to 'create' horses for Driving, including Roadster, and a personal favorite, Obstacle Driving.We also did Showmanship and Hunter(though I was good at it, I don't really 'love' Showmanship--it has became too 'stilted' for my taste.I've never cared a lot for Halter,though I did show there with success; nor was I much interested in 'fluff' classes like Liberty.(FWIW, I felt the same about ridden 'Equitation' classes(became increasingly stilted, 'fakey', IMO); always felt it was a better 'test' of horsemanship if you stayed well with a good cutting horse(I've ridden both 'inside' and 'outside, real-world' cutters), or sat deep and didn't interfere with, a good horse or mule, coming straight UP, or straight DOWN, a steep rugged mountain, rounding up goats; or running a good, CONTOLLED, barrel pattern, or having a good goat tying run, for that matter--just for a few examples!)

I'll just say I 'had my fill' of the breed ring, so don't show there any more. I am very interested in CDE, and its 'principles', though will likely never be a 'genuine' competitor...there are none anywhere near me, and I am just not really able to be gone for days nowadays, for several reasons. I enjoy the occasional clinic on the subject, though, and like to practice the principles and procedures!I also enjoy trail driving, and the occasional parade, often complete w/ 'homesteader' outfit with my pair or a single!

Of my 6 minis, 5 drive(one is green, but has been hitched and driven lightly); the 6th is a 'small'-30.25"- who satisfies my 'need' for a 'cute pet'and nursing home visitor(a practice I 'pioneered' in my area.) On top of that, though, this nice little mare is of quality conformation, has my favorite bloodlines,and would undoubtedly be an excellent broodmare prospect for producing quality 'smalls'- so,the best of all worlds!

Margo

The poll only lets you choose one...we do all classes at shows halter driving obstacle jumping etc..we used to go to nursing homes schools and other functions but the last few years we just found it's less time comsuming to have a bus come out to the farm with seniors or school kids in early June let them walk around and mingle with the horses and then they leave and l didn't have to go anywhere..

I had to make a decision based on what I train for. I do as many breed shows as I do CDE's in a year and enjoy both, but I train my horses primarily for ADS-style driving at the expense of winning in the breed shows at first so I guess CDE must be my primary thing!
default_biggrin.png
Like Margo and Mary, I very much enjoy an all-around horse who can do it all.
default_wub.png

targetsmom said:
...MOST of the adults will do just about everything!! Well, OK, we don't breed the gelding.
default_new_shocked.gif
Good, good, because I don't think you'd have a lot of success with that.
default_laugh.png
He might enjoy trying though.

Leia

Carriage driving is awesome! We show in ADS pleasure shows and CDEs. We also do anything else that has to do with carriage driving like Arena Driving Trials, Horse Driving Trials, and trail driving. I love obstacle driving!

Myrna

I voted rated halter as it is my favorite class by far, however I also show heavily in rated driving with my horses too. I only show AMHR, but I hit many shows each year. I love the thrill of the show ring competition!
default_wub.png

I voted for sanctioned performance classes, but 'all of the above' would've worked well too!!

I have driven them and plan to again. But they are also my best friends and help to keep me sane. I bred a few times but the stress of foaling I never want to do it again. I consider it then I think about how truly stressful it is and I don't need any more stress in my life.

They are however my forever companions and friends and when I am gone they will belong to my daughter and her hubby forever.

Latest posts

Back