Frustrating driving today....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivin*me*buggy

Reaction score
We have had a beautiful weekend weatherwise. Yesterday I was tied up with the vet as horses had shots and teeth done. The vet was having a tough time getting her last angle how she wanted it. I have used this same vet for the last 10 years without a problem. We tried to get Buck's wolf teeth out when he was 3...she couldn't get them. I am kicking myself that I didn't have her try yesterday as I think they must be bothering him, or els e she left some sharp spots in there from floating....

SO here's where my day went south....I warm Buck up, harness and hitch. I lead him away from where I hitch, so he can stand while get in....the last 2 times we have driven he has been bad at this point. He will start to back up. I get after him- he stands and I get in. This time as I led him away from the post he took a few steps and leapt up in the air and reared. I yelled at him, and made him stand. Checked his harness for anything pinching- couldn't find anything. I ground drove him from behind to sort of assess where this was going. He'd do ok, tho was tense, but when asked to whoa then move off he'd act up a bit at the start then settle..I hopped in to see where we were mentally and drive at just a walk. He'd kinda cock his head to the side (right) from time to time and do some head shaking too- which isn't the norm for him. We worked in some trotting. He just couldn't seem to get it together today, all his bending was terrible.

At 2 different times I got out to check for anything pinching as well as to work on his behavior with me mounting the cart and he was good-tenser than in the past- but good. I think it's got to be his mouth. He was just not himself- it was a downer of a drive. I guess I will call the vet tomorrow and discuss it with her. Stinks as I just paid over $400 yesterday for shots and teeth on my 2 minis.

So in the meantime Wish is waiting at th gate. Yup- she's undone te electric fence gate (which is off) and waiting for her turn. Oh Miss Wish I tell her, I am not having a great day here....but her pleading look makes me say ok, what the heck. I go to fetch the Frontier and discover a flat. Oh just my luck....but I have had the cart 11 years and never a flat so I try not to complain. I haven't used it in a week s maybe it's a slow leak...I air it up and get Wishy harnessed. As I pull the cart up to put to, it makes that stupid flat tire sound. Grrr. Well, I didn't want to hitch her to the Hyperbike that was still out from Buck and my wooden cart had stuff parked in the way so I just ground drove her for a half hour. She was really really good, which is just what I needed after Buck.

So that's my day...I gotta fgure oout how to get Buck straightened out and get this tire to the bike shop for a new tube.

I hope some of you had beautiful drives today.

Angie

You didn't ask, but just a thought. If I understood you correctly, you were driving on the same day as the vet worked on his teeth then maybe he had a sore mouth.

I always figure the first time I hitch up for the spring it maybe a rough ride. I sometimes think they want to see just how far they can push the limits of my patience. Also have to take in the weather. If they've been inside because of bad weather, they will be crazy to just run and jump (sorry, not in harness - but you get the picture). If it's really windy then they sometimes get nutty just as though someone were chasing them. "Reading" horses moods is difficult, fun, interesting, and never easy.

There are days like that. While Dusty was still figuring it out, I got so frustrated. I frequently wondered: is it him? is it me? Will it ever work?

IT was such a pleasure to get my reliable trooper out and have a pleasant drive, instead of a heavy teaching session once in a while.

I waited a day after the float to drive. My vet is going out of town at the end of the week. She did think maybe his mouth is sore so to give him the rest of the week off and drive this weekend, then call the office on Monday. I think it is his teeth still, though I acknowledge that his mouth may be sore. I knew from driving him this spring that his teeth needed doing as he was a little fussy. I wonder if while floating him his wolf teeth got aggravated...who knows...I just know my boy isn't right. He is usually very solid and takes up nice contact, not hollowing his back and shaking his head. Poor fella, we'll get it right.

Glad I have Miss Wish as my back up...

Angie

Last edited by a moderator:
after having a speculum in their mouth holding it open some will have a sore mouth ( TMJ ) . It may take a day or 2 for them to feel better. I would not drive the day a dental was done . Was he sedated for the dental ?

Hi Elizabeth,

yes he was sedated for the dental. I will try him on Sat to see if her is better.

Thanks,

Angie

drivin*me*buggy said:
I hopped in to see where we were mentally and drive at just a walk. He'd kinda cock his head to the side (right) from time to time and do some head shaking too- which isn't the norm for him. We worked in some trotting. He just couldn't seem to get it together today, all his bending was terrible.
I'm sorry you had such a terrible drive!
default_sad.png
That's really frustrating. I know after my boys have their teeth done I don't let a bit anywhere near them for at least two or three days as they always seem sore and like they're adjusting to the changes in their mouths. I wouldn't think it was likely his wolf teeth unless she was purposely banging on them as generally they are small and not touched in regular floating but he could have one edge that isn't sitting right, the ligaments in his jaw and poll could have been sore, or he could have remaining sensitivity related to the sedative. That or he could just be ticked about anyone touching his mouth after all that!

drivin*me*buggy said:
SO here's where my day went south....I warm Buck up, harness and hitch. I lead him away from where I hitch, so he can stand while get in....the last 2 times we have driven he has been bad at this point. He will start to back up. I get after him- he stands and I get in. This time as I led him away from the post he took a few steps and leapt up in the air and reared.
I'll give you that his current issues probably have physical causes but I feel like I've got to pipe up and ask why you lead him away from where you hitch. This would generally be considered poor practice- you should either get in the cart as soon as he's hitched and then ask him to step away from the post or harness him up then lead him to where the cart is and hitch up in the open where you don't have to step away from anything.

I ground-drive with the cart attached sometimes too (mostly to let Kody warm up a little more without straining his injured back) but was reminded how unsafe it is by my gut reaction of "Bad news, bad news!" when I saw someone at a show last weekend doing so with a very large, very hot Shetland. The fact my gut said I should be getting away from that horse before something went wrong was a sound reminder that we're courting trouble even with the smaller equines. If they're too hot for me to be in the cart, then they're too hot to be in the cart at that point. Period. (And yes, I still do it. For a few minutes only, with a calm horse, usually with help to grab the horse's head, and only from right behind or beside the cart.) It drives me crazy seeing mini trainers double-lunging a hot horse in a cart!
default_new_shocked.gif
If that horse were to duck and whirl...
default_no.gif

Anyway, give Buck a few days to settle, palpate his mouth and see how he reacts to simply wearing the bridle then try again. If he hasn't settled by then I would absolutely call the vet back out and make it clear that you aren't planning on paying a big bill to fix something she didn't do right in the first place.
default_nono.gif

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Leia,

Thanks for the reply. The reason I lead away from where I hitch, and it is only a few steps, is because where I tie and harness and hitch is the corner fencepost by the paddock. I don't like to ask them to do a lot of lateral moving of the cart right off the bat, and I don't want to be catching a wheel on the fence post. So I generally lead them over a few steps, whoa stand and get in. Then we can move straight off. I agree, I don't like ground driving with the cart attached. In this case I felt it was best, and it was only maybe 50 feet, as I was also looking for anything pinching. I like getting in for one thing-to make them work more, but I also had the hyperbike, so needed to make sure he wss standing to get in.

When the vet tried for his wolf teeth when he was 3, she said she'd come back and do them for free. Doubt she remembers that unless she made a note in his file. She has always been good to us and caring about the horses...I can feel a sharp edge to the right side though.

Sigh,between the weather and now this ...
default_sad.png

Angie

Back