From stall to large pasture...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingminihorses

Reaction score
My mare has been stalled for almost a month, being fed twice daily with hay always available. The stall turns out into a small paddock area outside but there is no grass, just dirt. Would it be okay if I turned her out into a pasture? There is shelter in the pasture and the grass isn't very green right now so would she founder or colic since she would have so much to eat? I am just worried that if she eats to much she might founder...is that a myth?? Thanks for any replies, I have always wondered this...
default_wacko.png

If she were mine, I would be very careful about putting her on the pasture when she wasn't used to it. Start out with very short times or even hand grazing her for 15 minutes or so. Very gradually build up the time over a few weeks, and maybe you can never leave her out there all the time. I have had big horses both founder AND colic from eating too much grass when they weren't used to it. So maybe I am more cautious than you need to be, but I would much rather be safe than sorry.

Yes just start her out slowly. It is bad if they overload their digestive system with so much grass all at one time. But if she is able to eat small amounts at a time and gradually build up to it, she will probably be fine. I have heard a lot of members here mention that some mini's just can't be on grass all the time so just be careful and keep an eye on her.

I'm in that position now-my 2 minis came on Dec 23 from a dry lot......I gradually increased their pasture time from 10 minutes on a lead rope, to now 4 hours free grazing on an acre of grass. It's work to keep on a schedule for all of us, but I'd rather that than colic or founder. Their stalls are 10 x 10, they move around alot inside, when they go out they run for about 30 seconds then get to munching grass. Every day we increase their time out. Have to keep an eye on their bowel movements, too.

Latest posts

Back