Foundation type

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just AMHA... lol I'm so confused now LOL I'll msg a friend of mine who is big in the mini's here
default_smile.png

Concerning Foundation and Classic ponies there are big differences in each pony and bloodline. To be quote a "foundation pony" the pony must have all "A" ponies to the 4th generation. By the way the registry decided they would no longer put "A" or "B" designation on the papers...I personally would like to see the foundation and classic ponies shown square at the shows, BUT they all insist on parking out in one degree or another. That I can't do anything about....I like to see a more distinct difference between a Foundation pony and a Classic pony at the shows. What I see is Classics being shown as Foundations and Moderns shown as Classics. There are of course exceptions to the rule here as I am not saying they are all being shown wrong(again in my opinion).. I have some examples of what my perception of a Foundation pony should be with more body structure and more bone in the legs. Now these pictures are not ponies in the show ring, but standing natural or semi-natural. They might be lacking in neck and a prettier head, but what I am trying to show you is the basic body structure and leg bone.

=========

This first pony has the right amount of bone and body I like and what I consider MY ideal Foundation style pony. This pony is however not considered by the registry as a Foundation pony because his dam is a "B" pony which means her grandsire was a Hackney. This pony is an example of an extreme Foundation pony yet his great grandsire was a Hackney. Does he look like a Hackney..No

Untitled.jpg

This second pony is also what I would call a Foundation pony and I am looking at the bone in the legs.

Untitled-5.jpg

This third pony is also a Foundation pony and although I don't like the way the pony is posed, it has the correct body structure and bone that I like. This pony could also be shown Classic.

Untitled-4.jpg

Okay now I need to post another one because it said I had posted too many pictures, so here is the next post

Last edited by a moderator:
This fourth pony is also a Foundation pony and has good body structure and leg bone. This pony could also be shown Classic

Untitled-3.jpg

This fifth pony is also a Foundation pony and has good body structure and leg bone. This pony could also be shown as a classic.

Untitled-2.jpg

This sixth pony is also a Foundation pony and has good body structure and leg bone. Again is stretched out. This is as far as I would like to see a Classic posed and but would rather see both Foundation and Classic squared up, especially squared for the Foundation classes and absolutely NO stretching what so ever.

Chili.jpg

This 7th pony is also a Foundation pony and could also be shown as a Classic, BUT this is the way I would like to see them be shown. Completely square. This shows their true conformation and would do away with the body flaw I feel is most seen and needs to be nipped is the slopping croup. Standing parking out hides this conformation fault and and others. The neck can be stretched slightly, but not too the extreme snakiness on the surrent show Arabians of today.

Untitled-1.jpg

These are just a few examples of the ponies I consider to be of the Foundation type and what I would like to see more of in the show ring. This doesn't mean that the pictured ponies don't need conformation help in the body or legs. Again I was just trying to point out the basic body structure and bone in legs which I am not seeing much of in the show ring.

Also again this post is only My Opinion...

Thanks,

Jenny

Last edited by a moderator:
what a great example Jenny, thank you for explaining, so with regards to my mare being foundation stock... I know its probably different for Australia... but is it due to the 4 generations A?

she is a heavier set mini to the type that are like here at the moment... but its very interesting about the foundation and classic. We do have classic classes here but haven't heard of foundation...

gorgeous ponies by the way
default_smile.png

I disagree that a stretched pose hides conformation faults. In truth it emphasizes some, particularly hind legs that are poorly set on or a poor croup.

what a great topic, has helped me alot with my mare... I never knew what foundation meant before now so thank you,

on my mare's papers it says she is foundation stock... but we are in Australia... so could it mean the same thing? or could it have a different meaning? sorry for being a bit dumb about it... here is a pic of her might help you decide
default_smile.png

she is in total paddock condition and these are all natural photos no show photos as I haven't shown her yet... (still deciding if I will or not lol) what do you think?

View attachment 10833

View attachment 10834

View attachment 10835

View attachment 10836

View attachment 10837

View attachment 10838
I think your mare is very nice..I would have to know her full registered name to know if she is Shetland. You say she is 36" then her AMHA papers would not hold up as they only go to 34". Does she have ASPC/AMHR papers? She is of the foundation/classic type. Are you going to show her?

Blessings,

Jenny

I think your mare is very nice..I would have to know her full registered name to know if she is Shetland. You say she is 36" then her AMHA papers would not hold up as they only go to 34". Does she have ASPC/AMHR papers? She is of the foundation/classic type. Are you going to show her?

Blessings,

Jenny
Thanks Jenny, her registered name is Raylee Park Classic Touch, she is 36" but is classed as a small horse over here in Australia
default_smile.png
very confusing but we used to have an AMHA over here as well, they are now no longer... she was only ever registered AMHA that I am aware of, I am registereing her under my name in another australian registrar.

I would like to show her... I don't know how she would go as she is a bit heavier then the ones that are in the show ring at the moment... but I could maybe show her classic...
default_smile.png

I'm going to do some performance with her as she loves to jump and its alot of fun, but she isn't ready yet so maybe next year.

Thank you for your lovely words on my girl, she is a character for sure
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back