Found a lump on my mare. . .

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
Hey guys!

First of all, some information about my mare -----> 2005 model 31.25" miniature mare and a maximum of 205 days pregnant (second pregnancy - first foal was born 4/24/2010 lost to red bag)

I was feeling for foal movement and I have been doing this every few days. Tonight I found a lump double the size of a quarter about 3-4 inches away from her teats and it isn't the "milk bag lump" - it's just in front of it by about an inch. It is soft, doesn't move and is slightly squishy. Pressed on it and it doesn't hurt her, doesn't even flinch. Great appetite, drinking plenty, running and bucking and is her normal self. Hasn't been from an injury as she has been in the stall for the past two days due to inclement weather.

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks!
default_saludando.gif

I don't know what it is called, but my gelding had something like that. It was round like a sausage, about 1" by about 2.5". I had the vet look at it and he said to watch it. If it gots lots bigger or caused pain then it would probably have to be removed, but it never did cause a problem. It did get slightly bigger some years and not on some years. He died from something else last year at the age of 11 and I found it when he was about 4. An old pony person looked at it and said he would just let it be unless it caused pain and became an issue and that is what we did.

sounds like an umbilical hernia , I had a mare with it years ago , had it stitched up just to be safe

Possibly Edema? Its a fatty lump that forms just foreward of a mare's bag.

My mare had a small lump like that. We took her to the vet and he said it was mastitis (sp?) She was not in foal and hadn't been in two years (our choice) It looked like it was growing bigger everyday for three days until we got her to the vet. It was about two inches by then. The vet taught my husband how to "milk" her (he wasn't thrilled and neither was she) and prescribed sulphur tablets. I don't know if that is what it is but this may be another possibility you could explore.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back