former post- weanling that lost a hoof

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionafarm

Reaction score
I posted earlier about a foal I had that had been injured and lost a hoof. I thought I would update everyone on her progress. I know several people thought she should be put down, but I am definately happy that I did not consider that.

"Flashlight" ( her name) is doing great! I have kept the leg wrapped and padded and Flashlight began putting weight on it. She developed a nice little calus on it and soon began walking on it. My husband said why not just leave her out in the yard, she won't go anywhere-- so I did and she when flying out and ran laps around my truck. Now whenever I leave a gate open a little she is out and running. The vet came to check on her and was amazed to see her go flying past him. Since that " foot" is a little shorter, I was putting padding under it when I wrapped it. But I saw the thread about the build a bear shoes and told my neighbor who brought out a build a bear shoe today and so now she is trying that out. At first it was like when one puts a boot on a dog for the first time. First she held it up , then she discovered the shoe strings and you all know minis and shoe strings. But then she put weight on it and suddenly she was off up the ramp out of the barn. She went over to the mares paddock and they are all up against the fence so she can show it off. Very stylish!!

This is the sweetest filly, and love watching her. She is a fighter who came through a lot and will obviously live a long happy life.

If I ever figue out how to post a picture maybe I can try to do that someday.

Oh Bonnie I'm so thrilled your little sweetheart is doing good
default_biggrin.png

I AM SO GLAD to hear about your filly! I had a colt born this year whose momma stepped on him and the same thing happened to him. His hoof did grow out a bit but fell off. It was soft, but healed well and you cannot tell it now. These little guys are so resilient........I just love them !

That is great news. Please do post a picture. I'd love to see her in her new shoe
aktion033.gif

Soooooooooo glad she is doing well! Sounds like she is very full of herself,,,and special! Thanks for the update.

That's terrific! They really are incredibly resilient. We have an older mare who dislocated her femur a couple of years ago...long story, surgery and long recovery but she pretty much rules the place now lol. If you find the build a bear shoe isn't enough for her, we added a couple of inches to our mares shortened leg with an aluminum plate and a buld up of SuperFast. It gives her a good rigid base to walk on, and has made all the difference for her.

Jan

It's amazing how much love for life minis can fit into their little bodies. I'm so glad to hear your filly is recovering!
default_aktion033.gif

All I can say is
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

People told us to euthanize our Gabriel too........ It's always best to go with your gut.

I'm just so glad you went with yours and things are going so well!

Such a great outcome!!! I am so happy for her and you.
default_yes.gif
Never under estimate the gut feeling!!!

Julie

Victory Pass Stable

Maine

That's terrific! They really are incredibly resilient. We have an older mare who dislocated her femur a couple of years ago...long story, surgery and long recovery but she pretty much rules the place now lol. If you find the build a bear shoe isn't enough for her, we added a couple of inches to our mares shortened leg with an aluminum plate and a buld up of SuperFast. It gives her a good rigid base to walk on, and has made all the difference for her.

Jan

[/quot

It looks like she could use a little more of a build up for that leg to do away with the limp. What is Superfast? How did you do it?

SuperFast is an epoxy type material used to repair or build up a damaged hoof. It sets up and dries quickly, can be rasped & worked on like a regular hoof. Your only problem would be figuring out how to attach it if she has no actual hoof. Janell Jensen (Magic Shoes) built ours and my farrier has refined and adjusted it along the way. The aluminum shoe is glued directly to the bottom of Artie's hoof, which has contracted quite a bit. The 2" of SuperFast extends below the shoe and he has recently added a half shoe to the bottom of it to keep her from rolling her foot over. I'll try to get a picture and post. If your filly's foot has calcified enough at the bottom to attach something to it might work. It's been literally a lifesaver for our mare!

Jan

Latest posts

Back