Forever Bags

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie/Azariah

Reaction score
I have a maiden mare who started bagging up February 17.... Bag is huge... but still not showing any signs of discomfort, I cannot express any milk... nothing AT ALL! She is at day 333.

I have two others day 323 and 321 that have had forever udders too....

I thought full moon might bring them on.... nope, not yet...maybe the cold rainy weather this week has them waiting... but now it is going to get hot here... I am hoping for Easter babies now... at least Easter Weekend...

Has anyone had mares bagged for 1.5 to 2 months before delivery... I don't mean a old faithful mare that always has a bit of fullness down there... truely filling.

I am getting impatient :arg!

Well I'm nowhere near the 2-month mark with mine, but she's been so full for the last two weeks that she squirts milk if you give her udder just a light squeeze. A couple years ago I had a mare go 354 days, and she had a large udder for a full month before foaling. The only discernible difference there was from the time it got to that size to the time she foaled was in the quality of the milk, and that didn't change until the day before she popped. Aren't they fun?
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My first mare due has had somewhat of a bag since January. When is she due? Good question. I did test her milk last Saturday and according to the changes she is almost a solid 3. on the list of six stages.

If the mare has a very obvious full/firm bag but is not allowing you express milk, it is because SHE is not letting you!

I would suggest you get a warm, moist wash cloth and begin washing and massaging her in that area - and massage her tummy too........It's something that one should be doing anyway.
default_wink.png

After doing that try "milking" her.....You just may relax her enough to express something.

Yes, I have. My one mare was a maiden last year and she had a forever bag. Matter of fact she is due early June and she started bagging last week, I noticed.

Sir is impatiently awaiting his second grand baby.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back