For those of you who can talk to animals...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
I have a minpin named Rudy. He is 9 years old and spunky as they come. He is extremely hyper, protective of me and has separation anxiety although he does work through it. We also have a girl named Vayda. We got her as a puppy and Rudy showed her the ropes. Our problem is that Rudy won't stop peeing on everything! We had him neutered when we got him at age 2. He has access to a doggy door 24/7 but when it starts raining or gets cold outside he just lets it go in the house. We've been trying different things to remind him to go outside but it's not working. We found a place in our hallway this evening where both of them decided to take a leak.

I feel like I have a good connection with him and I usually can guess what he's thinking but I can't be sure. I wish I knew if there is something else behind his behavior. I have never been around someone who can talk to animals and I am still not sold on the idea but everytime I read your guys' posts here about talking to animals I am intrigued to say the least.

For those of you who can talk to them.....do you have to meet them in person to know what they are thinking? I remember someone on the forum a few years back reading them through photos. If it's possible, could someone please tell me what Mr. Rudy is thinking. My husband keeps threatening to get rid of him. I would never let that happen but it puts me in the middle. I end up sticking up for a dog who is peeing on my husbands expensive equiptment
default_rolleyes.gif
My husband thinks Rudy hates him!

It's been rough around here to say the least
default_gaah.gif

Here he is

wedding14-1.jpg

DSC00434-3.jpg

DSC08129.jpg

and Vayda

DSC03070.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I can't communicate with them, but still had a few questions, as that may help someone else help you figure this out.

Has he always had "accidents" when it rains or is cold out? Or is this a new occurrance? Do the "accidents" happen everytime its rainy or cold outside, or just sometimes? How long have you had Vayda? Is she spayed?

My MIL has a male doxie who it fairly well housebroke, but he does not like rainy, cold or snowy weather, and he'll resort to peeing in the house. They do not have a doggy dog, so they have to let him out. He's 10 this year. He recently has become worse with this behavior, so my MIL took to crating him at night to help; my FIL gets up very early every day, eats breakfast then takes a nap in his chair, he usually lets the dog out when he gets up, but since crating the dog at night, he rarely wants or needs to go in the middle of the night and is just fine til morning. In winter, when the snow gets deep, they do have to shovel a path for him, or he can't get out to do his business, but otherwise, he'll go out. [This dog was just neutered 2-3 years ago when he had surgery for something else.]

Hahaha sound to me like you have a typical Min Pin lol. They aren't called the King of the Toy dogs for nothing! lolI have a 5 year old female min pin and she hates when its raining, snowing, or cold out. Her attitude is pretty much "Well it doesn't bother me". lol You really have to be on these guys. You might want to regulate water, and start superviseing potty breaks. Especially when the weather isn't quite up to their standards as worthy of peeing in. Do you have a potty command? I would start useing it during supervised potty breaks. Tell him the word, when he goes keep repeating the command, then make a party over it. Crateing will also help or confineing to 1 room. He needs to learn that its not his choice where he goes. He's required to go outside and thats it. If he doesn't follow through, then he will be sitting in his crate/room until you let him out again. You could also try putting some sort of canopy outside in his regular spots. That will at least help in encourageing him that he can still go outside and be protected from the rain/snow. I don't know if you jacket him when he goes out and its cold, but if you do, I'm going to recommend you stop. I used to with my little girl and it would just prolong her time outside. Now when its cold, she goes outside, does her business and comes running to get out of the cold.

Rudy feels like a very worried little dog. He stresses over every little thing. Vayda is much more secure than Rudy.

Rudy probably would benefit from using the crate method, as lilmiraclesfarm suggested. If used correctly it would become his "safe place" which could also help with his separation anxiety. I bet Rudy would also appreciate a toy or an article of clothing that has YOUR SMELL on it. And teaching them BOTH a potty command sounds like a good plan too.

We have a potty command for all of our dogs when we let them out at night and don't want to sit and wait. It does work. We tell them: "Do your business!"

I just wanted to add that Teddy is the same way. Or was. He has to be with me non stop when I'm home, or where he can at least see me. He doesn't really have a yard where he can roam in because our big boys are in the back yard and our Border Collie tried to attack him through the fence one time. Our front yard is fenced, but we have a large area missing that he would surely get through. I seriously think that even if he had the yard to run and play in, he still wouldn't unless I was out there with him.

He WILL not let me know when he has to potty, so we have designated three times a day, where we put his little harness on and take him outside. If it is cold out, he sometimes refuses to potty, but we make him stay out there until he does (I hate standing out there in the cold as much as he does
default_crybaby.gif
). If after say 5 minutes he hasn't gone, then we come back in. If he hasn't pottied number one AND number two, then I crate him when I leave the house. If not, he's sure to get too anxious and potty on the floor. He never potties inside infront of me, or when I'm home.

He looks identical to your Rudy in that first pic, and sounds like he has the same personality traits. Now that I'm thinking about it, Teddy just might be a minpin/chi cross!
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for all of the suggestions! He's not usually too much of a problem in the summer. I know he really hates the cold and getting wet. He did start peeing on my husbands guitar equiptment when he'd bring it home from practice. I think it may have another animal smell on it. He does know what potty means and we use it all the time. He also loves his box(crate). It is his safe spot and we have considered starting to put him in it at night again to retrain him to hold it. I also feel like him having 24/7 access to the yard plays a roll too. Rudy likes to be where ever he's not supposed to be or can't get to. So maybe if I start limiting his outside time for awhile that might make him really want out there when it's time. As long as he knows I'm in the house he will spend hours out there on a sunny day bathing in the sun. But he does like to know where I am constantly. If I died in the woods he wouldn't leave my side until someone made him lol!

One word I have picked out of all your posts is structure. I will start using the crate more and trying to regulate when he goes outside.

Thanks again for all of the advice!!!!

Oh and we've had Vayda for 5 years. We had her spayed after her first heat cycle. I found pee everywhere today when I was cleaning! I was shocked! He's been even worse then I thought! So I have been locking him in his box for an hour at a time and then letting him out into the backyard for 20 min...then back into the crate he goes. When I go outside with him I keep saying potty until he goes pee. Once he does I get very excited, praise him and play. He seems to like that. Anyways, I think you guys are right. I just have to start from square one and retrain him.

I had two min pins, the last one lived 18 years and we lost her last summer. My impression is that you need to go out with him, no matter what the weather, min pins do not like to be sent out, but rather be taken out. Buy him one of those really nice coats that look like a tiny little horse blanket, got mine at the shop, looked like a horse "cooler" in fabric with surcingle closures. This blanket was warm even when wet. Not a weenie sweater, but a cool looking coat. Put in on him for all the bad weather. Get baby gates and keep him in sight when you are in the house. I never knew a min pin that would "ask" to go out, they have too much ego. Three times a day is not nearly enough times outside for a toy breed IMO. Crate when out of sight. You can try an xpen outside with a big tarp top. Put him in, step away, check with a flashlight that he has gone and bring him in. He will appreciate getting out of the rain, but the coat is a must do. One of my min pins was a great tracking dog, loved her to pieces, she died way too young at 10 of diabetes. She had the spirit of a lyon. best wishes
default_saludando.gif

My min pin, Molly, will tell me when she needs to go out! BUT hates the cold and not happy with rain. So when the door opens, she'll turn and run
default_wacko.png
Yep, perfect manners in Spring, Summer, Fall but she does not like winter.
default_rolleyes.gif
My gal loves her crate to sleep in. It's always open and it is her "safe" spot -- especially if she wants to get away from people.

They're very smart animals....sometimes toooooo smart
default_laugh.png
default_wub.png
Mine doesn't like a coat but loves to be warm. When she's on the couch with me, she'll tell me if she's wanting to be covered up
default_wacko.png
And I'd better do it!!
default_laugh.png

Typical toy dog! I have to carry my chihuahua out to go if the weather is not pretty. I have to keep the pee pads down. Give lots of praise when the job is done outdoors and remember they will go back to the "scent" they left in the house. After cleaning up the accident re-clean it with vinegar.

Back