For the Americans of the board...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are excellent sources of news out there who strive for unbiased coverage -- but it's not candy-coated Fox News or USA Today. And even then, don't ever assume freedom from bias -- even those who make this their goal are only human...I love NPR, but I hear its bias loud and clear and consider what I hear accordingly.
Oh, now Susanne you know you are my favorite person with whom I nearly never agree
default_wink.png
:

I don't find the Fox News to be candy coated at all. I feel they do a good job presenting both sides. When I think of candy coated news, I think of ABC really. I probably should start listening to NPR. I am pretty sure they have an NPR channel / station on XM. I have no problem forming my own opinions (right or wrong, no trouble drawing a conclusion), so would really like "just the facts" in my news.

Also, I heard at one point that a huge percentage of people get their news from The Daily Show!!! I think Jon Stewart (sp?) is extremely smart and funny (well, for a democrat), but... On the other hand, maybe if that was where I did decide to get my "news", I'd be in a better mood about it. :bgrin

Unless you are actually in the middle of it you have NO way of ever knowing if the news is right or wrong, and even then, you have to deal with the fact that your opinion too, is biased- that's just human nature, I'm afraid.

I was in the middle of the explosion at Hemel Hempstead- It all looked fine, but what about the aftermath- the fact that a lot of people are still homeless, that the businesses that were wiped out are not going to get compensation as it is cheaper for the Oil company involved to fight the compensation than it is to give it out- they are making Billions of $ PROFIT and they will not compensate homeless and destitute people made so by their incompetency.

Do you see this on the News??

You see mostly what your government wants you to see- any government, any country.

And then, just sometimes, the facts get through.

Well, some of them.

It never got on the news that my friends horse, that I was worried about at the time, was killed in the first blast along with five others in the field and that the Police, when faced with the frantic owners, told them not to worry about the horses as they were all dead.

Some things just aren't "news"

tigeress... please print out your posts in this thread... especially your long rant about Seattle and smog and such... and file them away. Take them out in 5 years and read them - and I guarantee you will be appalled... or maybe laugh your head off at the somewhat sanctimonious comments, the sneering, the generalizations... and so on.

Lastly, with regards to Seattle...it is quite smoggy, atleast compared with all the places I've been to and the place I live in. You also must know that prior to being in Seattle we were up in the cascade mountain areas in little towns in the middle of nowhere for a week. The air there was perfect and then coming to Seattle I noticed the change in air right away...like always. I live in an area with very little air polution, good airflow etc so I'm used to nice air. I don't know as though the smog was worse or better than Vancouver's smog problem but it was deffinetly noticeable.
There was probably an inversion. That happens in big cities everywhere. Seattle - being on the coast, usually gets the air currents off the Sound that keeps things pretty clear. But no big city is immune to that particular problem.

I was also annoyed while we were leaving because it's so peaceful where I am, even in the cities nearby but the minute I stepped out of the car in Seattle all I could hear were cars driving around and honking.
OMG!! Traffic noises in the city!! Who'da thunk it! Traffic noise happens in every city. Even in Calgary. I should know - I have been stuck in traffic there enough. I am curious as to what you expected to hear... *puzzled*

Another reason I was annoyed while leaving was due to the fact that the Seattle Aquarium was a very depressing place to go to...Many (not all) of the exibits were very poorly made, they were simple concrete cages with nothing but animal excrement in them...it was very disheartening
The Seattle Aquarium downtown is old but undergoing renovations. I have NEVER seen piles of "animal excrement" on display... perhaps they were about to clean those areas when you were there....

I did things like that in Seattle and got very nasty looks as if smileing and saying "thank-you, please, sorry" etc is a forgien language! I don't think it's a beautiful city, and I find it a very irritating place to be BUT I will likely go back because they have fab shopping and I didn't go look around the whole city.
When you make shallow comments (and yes they are) like that ^^^ , you do yourself no favours.

Thank you, please etc. is not a foreign language here... far from it. Of course, if you met a couple of folks who were not what you wanted them to be - that applies to everyone in an entire area. The only city I have been to that approaches beautiful (but again, not all of it) is Vancouver.

So you hated the Aquarium. Did you go to the VERY nice Woodland Park Zoo? I doubt it. The EMP? Stroll through Pike Place Market or Fremont on a Saturday afternoon? Check out the houseboats on Lake Union? Visit Seattle Center when a big festival like Bumbershoot is on??

Probably not. Yet you feel you have the "experience" to slap labels on places and people...

If anything Seattleiites are known to be disgustingly nice, polite and PC to the hilt compared to most major cities in the US.
Triggy is right about this. In fact, Seattle is often criticized for being too PC, too polite, too laid back and not being "New York" enough... guess the coffeee does not affect us...

tigeress - you hated London?? Wow... I am sorry that the history all around you and the people did not have any impact on you whatsoever...

But then, it's all about the shopping.
default_wink.png
:

I am not being harsh with you - you started this thread which was guaranteed to rile some people up - and then proceeded to lapse into sweeping generalizations and condemnations... and be exactly what you were complaining about. And youth is no excuse...

Last edited by a moderator:
lm not going to comment on the American part as my mom is a duel citizen born down in Sacramento and raised for 14 years in ElkGrove and all her family except her mom lives in L.A. so for me an American is just another person. l did just get back from Vancouver after hauling over some of the farms track horses and l don't have any great love for Vancouver but that doesn't make it a bad place. A good person is a good person till they prove otherwise for me and that makes no differance what country they come from.

lf the cities you go to are such a disappointment stay in your own backyard then you won't have to complain about them.

Latest posts

Back