For people who jump their minis...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHunterHorseFan

Reaction score
We have a dry grassy area that has hard ground. Is there any kind of protective boot or clip on shoe that you use on your mini's feet when you jump? You know, to obsorb shock.

I jump on grass so theres no need to. Ive used polos to help but no boots.
default_smile.png

I usually jump in a grassy area where the ground is pretty forgiving, so don't use anything. I also jump in our sand ring where the surface is even softer, but I avoid really deep sand. We don't jump in the winter when the ground is frozen - I may have to stop soon as the temps are going to be in the teens tonight! I also won't jump if the grass is at all wet, as I don't want them to slip.

I have not heard of a clip-on shoe that will help absorb shock. Riding horses have sports boots to help reduce the impact, but so far our Minis have not been blessed with anything so technological. Some vendors do sell protective boots, but I'm not sure how much they reduce impact.

If you think your surface is too hard to jump on then I would try to find another place to practice. The general rule of thumb is if you can't see your horse's hoofprint then the ground is too firmly packed. (Grassy areas are the exception since the grass prevents hoofprints.) Jumping in an area where the ground is too firm can cause long term damage and compromise your Mini's health and comfort. Splints can form on the legs, and are not only unsightly, but also can be a medical problem.

I jump on grass and I really like it. Unless it rains... then I have to wait for it to dry
default_smile.png

Good luck!

Riding horses have sports boots to help reduce the impact, but so far our Minis have not been blessed with anything so technological.
Oh, but they DO.
default_yes.gif
I have two sets of a sports medicine-type of boot for miniatures. They are manufactured by "Pro Choice", I believe. I have used them when starting a horse, but seldom compete with them on.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but, Allison, do you know where I can get those boots? They are from ProChoice, correct (as noted by Sue)? I got some boots from Chiacum Tack, which are ok, but I'm always looking for more and better sport boots for my horses. We have some ProChoice that are full size and I like them very much, but I have not seen any place where they carry mini sized boots.

Ditto to you, Allison, as well...when riding or driving our (big) horses, we nearly always have protection on, at least if we are jumping or working hazards. Seen one too many injuries that could have been prevented by some good leg protection. However, I also don't think that minis are quite at the risk horses are from jumping and galloping--the weight is less, there's no rider, and they (generally) are not regularly jumped as much for practice as a big horse would be (jumping lessons and such). Their bones, ligaments, and tendons are much studier as well. So I see both sides, but would err on the side of caution.

The boots from Chiacum:

e7c531b3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, those are the ones I have...in black. 1st Choice...not Pro Choice. My regular horses wore the Pro Chioces. :DOH!

I am looking for a pair in a very small pony-size, for my big B-Boy. Have you seen anywhere that I could find them in that size...the mini ones are too small/short, and the regular small pony ones are too big.
default_rolleyes.gif

Actually, for competing, I prefer to wrap, but it does take a lot more time.

I always use boots that look like the 1st choice ones or wraps depending on the size of the jumps. I just can't sit there and take a chance with my horses legs...Not to mention I also come from a H/J background too...

I have two jumpers a B division gelding and a foundation shetland gelding.

A trainer i was talking to a while ago told me on these miniature jumpers (and big horse jumpers) to make sure the hooves are kept trimmed and angled propper so the horse can take off correctly. If the toes are a little long like they can be when nearing that next hoof trim, the horse cannot propel themselves up and over as well, especially on the front end. A horse is most likely to hurt itself jumping bc of their hooves. Just thought i would throw that in as that can be as big a factor as leg protection.

Do i use leg protection? Okay, im a bad horse momma because no i dont use it. I dont ask my horses to jump anything nearly as high as what AMHA horses normally do. Once in a while i work them up to that top notch but 99% of the time my jumps are set at mid height unless the horse has allot of extra energy that day.

Has anyone found a pair that fit the smaller guys? I have a pair similar to 1st choice which are too large for my 31", and a little larger than I would like for my 34". IMO, they just don't make the proportions quite right for the minis, the boots are too bulky and take up too much of the leg. I prefer polos, although they don't provide as much protection and are no good in wet conditions, but at least you can make them fit properly. I would rather use no boots at all than ill fitting ones, as they can do more harm that good. If anyone knows of a maker of quality, proportional boots, I would love to hear.

Hey jleonard...what are the measurements of yours? If they are larger than the 1st Choice...where did you get them? Perhaps I could get a pair to fit my big-boy.
default_yes.gif

As far as bulk goes...that is the way they are supposed to look. Check out a large/regular horse with them on...they are "huge" considering the leg-size...but they do a great job protecting and supporting those tendons.

I was thinking about getting both splint and bell boots for my minis for practice jumping (same as I used on my big horses). But, Are you able to use them in a show in a jumping class?

But, Are you able to use them in a show in a jumping class?
I will have to look at the rulebooks for that one to be sure. We don't show sanctioned shows...and do wear wraps or boots in jumping/hunter classes.

l don't know about the R but for the A yes front leg wraps and/or boots are optional for jumpers.

All ours that are any good at jumping have only been used on grass or sand...we have never wrapped nor trained any of the minis for jumps they either do or they don't and if they can't jump there own height and have there knees tightly tucked we don't use them for jumping...because we tend to be on the lazy side
default_biggrin.png

Yes, I have seen Pro Choice, but do they offer any impact protection? Or just protection from hitting the jump? I have asked this of vendors who sell them but never get a responce. Riding horses have boots that actually reduce the impact the legs feels when landing. THAT is what I would love for our minis!
default_yes.gif
Not just protection from hitting the jump. Does anyone know of protective legwear like that b/c I have not heard of it and would love to get leg gear like that if it would actually burden some of the impact from landing instead of my horses' legs! I loved for our Minis to have some of that advanced leg wear available!

This sport boot in the link below claims to reduce shock:

http://gifts.horse.com/products/gift-0__sku-BGP03.html

1st choice boots do not mention impact protection: http://www.jtidist.com/proddetail.php?prod...607d399deb82dfc

Edited to say: Sue C. just told me the 1st choice boots are the same as her riding horse boots and they do offer shock protection. Very cool! I didn't know that! I'm going to have to get a pair now!! Thanks Sue and Allison for sharing!!!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back