Footmans loops, A driving question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerranger

Reaction score
The Exact Center of CA, 3,158 mi from the north p
Is there an exact spot that they need to be placed or is it a guess? I think I read that they should be placed 2/5 of the way back from the shaft tips, but Im not totaly shure if thats right. Ive gone back and cant seem to find where I read this. short of putting a harnessed horse between the shafts how do you know were to place them? Im finally finishing the cart I started last year and Im down to the seat and footmans loops before I paint it. DR.

I haven't heard of a "rule" for placing them but they need to be behind the point where the tugs will be on the shafts which will vary with each horse. If you are building this for yourself and a specific horse I would wait to put them on until you can get him in the shafts. If not, I would just tape them together and to the shafts and let the person the cart is for install them.

Hello All,

Footmans loops should be placed far enough forward on the shafts to create a more than less horizontal line from loop to rump. If not far enough forward, braking will tend to lift the shafts throwing geometry off in many area's and putting an unwanted stess point on the top of the rump.

Bb

Graham Carriage Works

And if they are too far forward the holdback straps will not be able to wrap properly and will pull the breeching upwards in the front, allowing the back to dip down and "scoop" the horse's hind legs. Yuck! So yes, placement is important. (Bob -Carriage- puts his just right on his carts.
default_wink.png
)

The easiest way to do it really is to put a horse between the shafts! If that's not possible then take a measurement from the ground to where the breeching ring would properly lie on the size of horse the cart is intended for (usually a little above the stifle but it can vary by conformation) and then with the cart propped up at the same angle it would be when driving, find the point on the shafts that is at the same height from the ground. This should always be behind the shaft or tug stops by at least enough to allow proper wrapping of the wrap straps.

Generally speaking I've found about ten inches between tug stop and footman's loop is correct for any cart Kody (33.5") is in. The distance from tug stop to front of shaft is the distance from point of shoulder to where the tug should lie vertically on the horse and will vary a bit more.

Leia

Thanks for clarifying Miss Leia,

I made an assumption I should not have. Yes they must be located behind the wrap stops.

A horizontal line is what you are aiming for. Braking action should take place on the horizontal axis and not the vertical.

Bb

Further clarification: "Horizontal line" means the holdback straps should form a horizontal line with the breeching itself. You'll see a lot of mini breeching sloping up in the front due to the shaft arrangement and a lot of large horse marathon turnouts with the holdbacks sloping way down to a low footman's loop on a bent shaft and neither is correct.

Leia

Thank you very much for your answers ! I had to go back and reread this several times and then compare it to some pictures to fully understand, but after the info sunk in and the light went on it makes it very clear that if in the proper place braking wont jerk up or down on the horse. this is very important to me in that there is almost no flat land around here. this cart will be shared by three horses, all upper B size [ 37-39"]. Thanks again DR.

Sorry guys,

My explanations always sound so good in my head.......... I am fortunate to have Miss Leia to interpret for me..........

Bb

Latest posts

Back