Food for backpacking or kayak camping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wee Mite Miniatures

Reaction score
Any great ideas for food to take along when water is very limited and space is an issue? Kayaks do not have a lot of room.

We have to carry all of our water in. There is no fresh water to even purify.

I find the prepackaged backpacking food too salty and spicy. I did how ever find some Indian food in a boil pouch that is good. Another night will be an angel hair pasta dish.

I have found the tuna salad in a pouch for lunch. Protein bars, nuts, oatmeal in a pouch. All the normal stuff. I know there are some weird things out there that make great meals. Not all stores carry the same things.

Any desert ideas?

All cooking has to be done on a single backpacking ultra lite stove. NO campfires.

We have to carry all of our water in. There is no fresh water to even purify.
So this is salt water kayaking? Cool...but usually there is at least a small stream somewhere? Bummer.

I can see why there would be no campfires...

Too bad you cannot get some military tration-packs; some of that stuff is very good.
default_yes.gif

Desert for me would be one of the bars. Love them.
default_biggrin.png

Will you have a cooler with you? If so, then some fruit or fruit salad with a cream cheese dip is always a nice space saver and yummy too! A classic would be s'mores, if you don't have a cooler and can lay a campfire. If you can pack some yoghurt, you could always make parfaits layered in clear plastic cups layered with yoghurt and sliced fruit, putting graham cracker crumbles or granola in between layers.

Yes on an island in a bay. No fresh water on the island at all.

No way to bring a cooler, there is just enough room in the kayak for tent, sleeping bag, stove, food, water and clothes for three nights. Even then it is a tight fit.

So far we have a boil in the bag Indian meal, tuna in pouch for lunch, Angel hair past one night, protein bars, oat meal, fresh fruit, and some other snacks.

Back