Folks, Count Your Horses!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

OMG what a way to start the day
default_biggrin.png

And must be something in the air....I woke up to my neighbors 2 big horses in my yard on sunday morning :DOH! :DOH!

Well - that was a scary story with a great ending - and the way you told the story was priceless!!!! Glad you got everyone home safe and sound!!!!!! Thanks for sharing your story.

I do count mine every time I feed - just in case someone is off in a corner of the pasture hurt or not feeling well. I make sure my husband counts them too - he wouldn't know who was missing but at least he would know if there was one missing!!!! He can't keep track of who is who - maybe because the herd continues to grow (not sure how that happens - haha!!!!!).

I'm very glad the story had a happy ending and I got a huge smile from reading it and more than a few giggles.
default_risa_suelos.gif

Thank you for sharing it.
default_biggrin.png

We haven't had the minis out but over the years the cattle have been out a few times. Really fun when we think we have them all in but none of us knew how many there were supposed to be. Really not funny when you total up 2 more than you found!

Glad you got them all in safe and sound.

Mark

Oh goodness..Its such a good thing you caught them all. I know I would have had a heart attack thats for sure. I only have 2 horses at the moment but I will keep this is mind for later..I am sure glad there was a happy ending though

One little mini likes sweet feed

One little mini had none

One little mini said No No No all the way home!

Glad you got them all home again Parmela! But WHEW you told it so funny!
default_biggrin.png

i'm reeeeally sorry it happened but i'm thankful you told it like you did. i needed a laugh in the worst way and the vision of you all running outside in various stages of dress, sans underwear
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
was just toooooooo funny!!!

default_biggrin.png
default_aktion033.gif
So how many horses DO YOU own?? LOL!!! So glad they all made it back home sdafe and sound! What a nightmare that was, but probably better that you got them all rounded up at that time of morning before too much traffice started for the day!
default_yes.gif

I'm glad to hear you got them all back home safe & sound; enjoyed the story! (It's always funny when it happens to someone else...and just plain fun when it happens to ones own self. Fun...or not.

When I first saw the topic heading I thought it was going to be about how an extra Mini wandered into your pasture & you didn't notice....or something like the time a neighbor came over to ask if we'd seen a blanketed horse wandering around anywhere. He had come home to find a gate open & no sign of a boarder's horse anywhere--it was late evening, getting dark....he drove all over looking for that horse and finally, after dark, he went back home, down the back road that goes past the back of his barnyard. As he made the turn the car lights picked up the horse....grazing peacefully at the end of his paddock, right where he was supposed to be, right where he'd been the whole time. The gate was open, but the horse was still home!

I do know how many horses we have here, and how many are in each corral & pasture, and I too count every time I feed, morning & night--just taking note that everyone is present & accounted for, and all healthy and uninjured.

A friend routinely asks me how many Minis are here. I won't tell him. I just ask how many do you think I have? Last time he said 6. Yep, 6, I said, that's a good number, I have six! Well, I didn't lie....there really are 6....plus a few more
default_biggrin.png

Oh yes, been there a few times too many :DOH! , looking for a jet black weanling filly in the dark of night is not a picnic LOL. Glad your story had a good outcome, it's always funnier the next morning isn't it.
default_smile.png

Jan

GREAT story!.............HAPPY ending! That's all that counts..........
default_biggrin.png
default_aktion033.gif

MA

Hehe i had to laugh read your post
default_biggrin.png

Kind of hard not to panic huh? I've had two or three get out before, but never everyone. Its always hard deciding who to get first, normally i go after the one i know is going to head south first LOL.

Glad you got everyone back in (or did you???
default_biggrin.png
default_wink.png
)
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I often do not know my exact total but I do know how many I have in each field- I even have it written down as I tend to forget these things!!!

I am glad you got them all back safe and sound, now all you need to do is find out how they got loose in the first place so you can stop worrying about that.
default_yes.gif

Thank goodness everyone's back where they belong!!!

We had a horse get out only once (so far -- knock on wood!). H had gotten out the door first to feed that morning and yells "Goldie's out!!!". OMG!!!!!! I am racing to throw on some clothes and wondering how on earth she could have gotten out, and why only her and not the rest of her paddock. As I get to the door, I see "Goldie" in the neighbor's yard and in an instant, I see it's not Goldie but Bacardi!!! My favorite! As I'm tripping out the door in my ariat mules on the wrong feet, H is going to our yard gate which Bacardi had been through on foot (vs. in trailer) only 1x before -- the day he got here. As H is approaching that gate, Bacardi comes FULL GALLOP to the gate and stops waiting for H to unlock it! Could have knocked me over with a feather! I guess no matter how much greener the grass is on the other side of the fence, he would not want to miss breakfast at Whinny For Me Farm
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Based on your thread, last night, I asked H how many horses do we have. He said 20 which is about right (19.5 is exactly right). Then I said "how many of them are here" and he thought a couple seconds (counting no doubt) and got the number right at 16. But, I can't fault him much because when someone asks me, I have to do a quick mental count off as well.

default_biggrin.png

When our farm was really at it's fullest, we'd look out at the herd & try count horses. There could be 3 of us standing & counting & we'd all get different answers! They were almost all appaloosa & trust me, those spots run together just like a herd of zebra stripes. They fool the eye. After laughing at our different "estimates," we'd usually get down to business & count them right. It even became a game at times. We were difinately "seeing spots." There weren't a 100 horses are anythng -- top count was 27.

Before we got really good fencing, sometimes we'd find a particular pasture had been vacated by the occupants. It also helps to know how many are in each pasture, if you've got separated herds and you need to go hunt one down.

Anyway, I'm glad your kids came home!
default_aktion033.gif
I know what a fright that is.

Latest posts

Back