Foals and Vaccinations - When?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimarron

Reaction score
What is the schedule for foals vaccinations and west nile shots. How old do they have to be? Sheila
default_smile.png

Everybody gives there shots differently. FOr me, our foals only get them if they are sold and the buyer requests them. Then they get them when they are weaned. (typically 4-6 months). If we do not sell them then I do not give them until they are yearlings.

The vet here in TN said I could start the WNV for foals at age 3 months, which I will do. I asked his opinion on 5 or 6 ways and at what age to begin those and he replied "You will get a different answer from everyone you talk to." So, I have decided to give EEE, WEE, VEE and Tetanus (4 way) approx. 2 wks after the foal has been weaned, depending on each individual and how the handle weaning. As yearlings I will give 5 or 6 ways, depends on what is available. If I plan on showing a weaner, I may vaccinate with a 5 or 6 way (booster as well) or if possible just leave the foal on its dam's side. Lots of things to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been wondering this too. My bet said at 3 months and a booster at 4 months. I am sure the booster was in reference to the WN. I have to check when I get home.

What about wormining?

I deworm my horses on the 1st of every month. Foals get wormed once a month until they are an actual year old, horses over 1 year of age, get dewormed every other month.

Do you rotate? Or use specific kinds per time of yr? THanks

PS I love your quote!!

Our vet recommends vaccinating foals at 4 months if their dam wasn't vaccinated. If the dam was vaccinated prior to foaling, the foals begin the series at 6 months.

I think you'll find every vet and every breeder gives the foals their first vaccinations differently. A lot will depend on the mares' vaccination schedule too.

As to worming, we start the foals at age 2 months with either Panacur or Safeguard.

MA

Boosters are nessesary for almost all the vaccines, not just west nile. Just like children
default_smile.png
You just are thinking west nile because that one is given to a lot of adults too.

Latest posts

Back