Foaling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW videos like that show there are LOT's of people that should NOT own ANIMALS. Most people get envolved WAY to soon and do more harm then HELP. With all my years breeding I have NOT had a problem with mares foaling and always let the mares do their job. Stand back watch in case of a problem but GIVE that mare the time. Since when humans know more then NATURE?

WOW videos like that show there are LOT's of people that should NOT own ANIMALS. Most people get envolved WAY to soon and do more harm then HELP... Stand back watch in case of a problem but GIVE that mare the time. Since when humans know more then NATURE?
Exactly...I couldn't of said it better myself. The normal birthing of a healthy foal doesn't take that long that one should get in there and get aggressive...ever. I think that a few more minutes of waiting while the mare does as she is intended to do, isn't all that difficult after having waited almost a year for the birth.

when you "pull" on a foal, or insert your hand or arm in, it always stimulates a contraction, ALWAYS. Many vets(good ones, educated in equine reproduction)will insert a stomache tube when trying to get a foal out to prevent contractions, which otherwise had stopped because of time lapse. For some reason a stomache tube will help prevent contractions that are again stimulated by "pulling" on the foal. I have been delivering foals for 14 years and have had well over 120 births at my farm, some good some bad, but i have never had a mare"ripped or torn" from pulling a foal out. If you watch some of mine on U tube, you will see much of the same thing you saw in that video. As soon as i see a couple of leggs and find the nose in the right position, i assure you its GO TIME at Lil Hoofbeats, we dont mess around. Colorado State, and NC State have WONDERFUL seminars on foaling, and equine reproduction, i try to attend at least one a year to keep up with all the latest, very informative, challenging and above all educational!!! The man that delivered that foal did a wonderful job!!! Hmmmm...... i wonder if he lives close and is affordable?????

WOW videos like that show there are LOT's of people that should NOT own ANIMALS. Most people get envolved WAY to soon and do more harm then HELP. With all my years breeding I have NOT had a problem with mares foaling and always let the mares do their job. Stand back watch in case of a problem but GIVE that mare the time. Since when humans know more then NATURE?
Not get in and be aggressive like this man, no, but I do always get in there.

I sat and watched my first Arab foal die because I had been told not to interfere.

From that day on, I interfere!

If you have not had a problem, well, you are very, very lucky. I have had my share, in the years I have been breeding, even with me in there, with the mare, right form the first contraction, you can still lose them, but I am darned if I shall ever lose another because I sat and waited!

It can happen in a moment, especially with a red bag delivery.

As said, the wayhe pulled was totally incorrect, as was the aggressive way in which he did it. Since we suddenly appear to be bandying experience, I have lost count, long ago, of the number of births at which I have assisted, and I have been breeding horses for 45 years, and I would not have this ...man...on the place!

Last edited by a moderator:
Colorado State University does not teach foaling like this man did. He was too aggressive and too quick to jump in, even compared to when we were in "aggressive" mode.

Latest posts

Back