Foal with diarrhea

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoey3

Reaction score
Our 6 day old foal has yellow diarrhea this weekend. Our vet came out and she took some blood to check his clostridium level and that was good. Should I give him some Kaolin-pectin untill i can talk to the vet. Thanks for any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Our 6 day old foal has yellow diarrhea this weekend. Our vet came out and she took some blood to check his clostridium level and that was good. Should I give him some Kaolin-pectin untill i can talk to the vet. Thanks for any help
I hope the vet checked Colostrum levels and they were good; as Clostridium is a family of bacteria. [Just making it clear for others reading this.]

Good clarification, chandab!

I sometimes give the foals some peppermint Kaopectin if they are very runny. They get to like it and run to me when they see the syringe - YUMMMM!!
default_yes.gif

When they get the runs I always coat the rear end with vaseline.This kleeps poop from getting to the skin and causing a blistery problem.Keeps the little one's butt from getting sore.Diaper rash creme will also do the same thing.Hope the runs are just caused by mom's foal heat-if so it will go away quickly

Back