Foal with amniotic fluid (we think) somewhere

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueStar

Reaction score
Our little filly born on 3/21/09 has a little raspy sound. Most of the time it is when she is sleeping and very relaxed and kind of sounds like snoring, which we thought maybe it was at first. She also does it sometimes while just standing now. Otherwise SOOO very healthy, active, good appetite, no temp, poo and pee factory in great shape! A true spitfire. We didn't want to take any chances so took her to the vet...who said that everything looked and sounded good and it was probably just a little amniotic fluid and it would clear itself up.

Now has anyone dealt with this and what is your experience? how long before it goes away? Is there anything else we should be concerned about that maybe the vet missed? Any info you could pass along would be great. Just want to cover all our bases.

Thanks in advance!!
default_saludando.gif

several yrs. ago, I had a mini filly born with that sound to. Took her to the Vet & he said that some of them have a narrow nostril inside & that make that noise. She was 4 or 5 yrs. old when I sold her & still made that noise. I think they can do surgery to open it up more, but we didn't have it done. We always knew where she was. LOL

Our vet also said that as well before seeing her, however upon checking her out was convinced that was not the case?

We just had one born 2 weeks ago that was what i call gurgly. It was a bit of a rough delivery and im sure he swallowed some fluid. Later that day though he seemed fine. By day 3 he was just not himself. Had the vet out and do an IGG which came out fine. But he did hear a little fluid in his lungs. PUt him on smz's for 5 days and he was right back playing and doing great. The vet felt that a small infection was just starting in his lung so we caught it fast so it didnt become a big deal

I agree, sounds like she may have aspirated a little fluid - ask your vet about putting her on antibiotics.

Jan

We did have the vet check her. She is showing no signs of illness or infection at this point, however, the vet sent us home with antibiotics to use if she does show any signs of infection. For now she said it has not progressed from just being fluid and making sounds. Poor little girl....IF she ends up needing the antibiotics, she will have to have 4 shots a day......
default_no.gif

If it is warm enough to let her out and run, she should be able to clear this fluid herself.

If it is warm enough to let her out and run, she should be able to clear this fluid herself.
Joanne,

Yes, she has been going outside. She runs around so much I swear she is part thoroughbred!! LOL They get daily turnout as long as it is not pouring, and thus far they have been lucky!!

I had a foal born several years ago that made a gurguly sound.vet determined that it was a flap or something in the throat-not fluid in the lungs.Kept an eye on her and she outgrew it-just like vet said.Antibiotics are good, but only if necessary according to your vet.Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back