Foal diarrhea

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynamic8999

Reaction score
Hello I am looking to all of you for any suggestions or tips that may have worked for you. I have a 8 month old colt that always seems to get diarrhea bad at least one to two times a month for several days. We have sandy soil so he is on sand clear at least one week a month, wormed regularly and no feed changes. The vet suggested using Probiotic paste as well as the sand clear. It helps a little but doesn't cure the problem as well as I would like. His diarrhea is projectile liquid in it's worst form and than gradually gets better with the paste and sand clear. Any one else run into something like this? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Otherwise my colt is a normal happy boy!

After you do the monthly sand clear do the sand test to make sure the sand is gone.

I had to treat my little mare for over a month to get all the sand out.

Sand Test

drop manure balls into pail of water and stir and let it sit for and hour, pour off the liquid and refill with water and stir let sit another hour. Keep doing this until all thats left is the sand at the bottom of the bucket if there is more than a pinch I would keep him on the sand clear product.

Ration Plus helped an aged mare of mine with cow pattie manure.

Back