Fly control for the barn

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAminiatures

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the only one noticing the flies are out of control. I clean daily, hang fly strips use fly predator. I was told about a mix of 1/3 cup Pine Sol, 1/3 cup bleach and 1/3/ cup water. Mix together in a spray bottle and spray the barn when the horses go out for the day.

This worked well. It didn't make the barn fly free but it sure helped.

I just read about a similar formula using the same except replacing the bleach with apple cider vinegar.

The flys have been awful here. Even in the barn with my Pyranah fly control system, the flys have really been bad.
default_sad.png

Our fly situation is not bad at all this year- it did start off bad, but then we started using fly predators and we are getting along great! Even with cows in the pasture, we hardly have any flies. Anyone else use fly predators?

I

. Even in the barn with my Pyranah fly control system, the flys have really been bad.
default_sad.png
Here to I just had the system overhauled and of course it is no comparison to not having the system but this is the worst time of year for flies I think. Sort of their last horrah before the first freeze lol

Yes, it seems to be the "Year of The Insect" everywhere!

Flies and mosquitos are terrible. We have the clear vinyl strips on several barn entrances, plus fans, and the metered insect sprayers. The horses can go out in the dry lots if they want or hole up in the barn. Most afternoons they're in the barn for coolness and protection. Works well.

I just go in at lunch spray by hand with the pyranah and again at night if we need it. I saw on line you can buy the concentrate for the fly systems that make 30 gals for like 130.00. Would that work in my spray bottle??? Is it the same stuff??

It would work yes. I often just take an empty spray bottle and dip it into my tank fill and spray

Latest posts

Back