Flu shots....are you getting one this year

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanny

Reaction score
Just being nosy and wondering about everyone's opinions for or against them.....

Our entire family got them yesterday. We get them every year, but I know many people that never get them. I am just curious as to why or why not.

Knock on Wood....no one in our family has gotten the flu in years, don't know if it is because we get the shots, or because we are super careful about washing hands and using hand sanitizer or a little bit of everything.

This year in particular being pregnant, if I get the flu shot it also protects the baby even after he is born.

There is so much talk right now about a flu pandemic and the horrible flu outbreaks in Asia and such that it is kind of scary.

Yup, haven't had the flu since I started getting them.

To be honest, I was not going to get one this year I did not last year & was not sick all year But.. I have become very conscientious about hand washing & hand sanitizers esp after shopping etc & naturally at work in the hospital Now I am having second thoughts I take care of my mom & the flu would be dangerous for her to get Also If I got it who would help her?

I know as a health care worker I should but I hate the thought of yet more vaccines

wIll be anxious to read more input from all of you
yes.gif

Nope never got one and don't want one, and don't believe in getting them.

Have no reason, just I guess will get sick once a year like always around Thanksgiving and suffer for a week.
rolleyes.gif

Nope, not getting one. Never have, never will. You literally can't within 15 ft of me wth a needle before I start freaking out!
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
sad.gif

l've never had a flu shot don't want one and seen people get them that have become deadly ill for the longest time. To each his own. My husband got his last year and was down for 9 days before improving but he opted out for this year.

I have been getting flu shots since I was 17 years old. Used to get severe life threatening bronchitis every winter (Later found out it was called walking pneumonia ). Since taking the shots I have not had them.

Did not get the shot last year because we moved and did not find a Doc in my area.

Am in the same boat this year. Last year we did not go anywhere, I did not want to get that sick again.

My Son has Asthma and normally gets the flu shots too.

So far niether of us have ever gotten ill from a Flu shot.

I do not know what we will do this year. The old Docs knew we needed to get the flu shots. Guess I had better figure things out for this year.

Yep me and raven have to go get them we are both well ok my oldest daugther as well are all asthmatic and prone to walking pnueminia as well

Never had a flu shot, and have only ever had the 'flu twice since I was an adult.

None of my family gets them, either, and the boys have so far, never had the 'flu, knock on wood.

Liz M.

I have only had one flu vacine in my lifetime and don't plan on getting one this year. Hubby always gets one though. I do take precautions, when flu season is on, such as avoiding crowds of people and do a lot of hand washing. I have been fortunate to not get the flu. If the Avian flu hits, and there is a vacine for it, I most definitely would get one.....that sounds deadly!
yes.gif

Nope - have never gotten a flue shot ever in my adult life. Not that I can remember any way. I am good for a flue episode every winter - and am still here to complain about it !
wacko.gif
Not that it's fun by any meens. But let's just keep the needles away from me please...
new_shocked.gif
no.gif
unsure.gif

Never used to get them but in my early 40's I got the flu so bad I almost died. Never ever will I go through that kind of excruitating pain again. Took me 6 months to recover. Getting the flu when you are older is nothing like when you were a young person. I do get the shot.

My 7 yo son Elliot has Asthma so I make sure the boys get them. I like to too but didn't last year but want to get in this year!

We get them( high risk children) as well as my work( health care field)- and have for years(6 years)- they seem to work- we haven't had the flu. So far so good!

No way! The first time I got one my arm felt like it was going to fall off for the rest of the day. The second time I got progressively sick through the afternoon until I could barely make it home from work and into bed. I guess I'm one of those people who can't take them - never again!

Shelley

You bet I will! I'm in one of the riskier age ranges(older), have never had more than a mildly sore arm afterwards, and, best of all, it is covered by my HMO! Last year I did without, due to the shortage(the health plan just didn't even HAVE any until 'way late in the season); I have always been a good hand-washer, but have become an even better one, plus using the 'sanitizers' where necessary, and I stayed away from crowds as much as possible(easier than for many, as I live 'way out, and am retired). I am by myself, and have all of these animals to care for, so CAN'T AFFORD to be 'out of commission' if I can possibly avoid it!) As to the efficacy of the vaccine--I feel that some protection is better than NO protection.

Yep, I get one every year, and plan to go in on Monday & get mine for this year. I do still get the flu once in awhile, but very mild. Until I started getting the flu shot, I'd get very very sick nearly every year, so after my lung surgery in 1985 my doctor suggested it would be a very good idea to start getting the vaccine.

Yes, I have asthma and will get very ill if I don't get the flu shot. In fact, I have already had pneumonia this year. I've been getting the flu shot for 9 years and will continue as along as my doctor recommends it.

I only get them if work gives them. Because of the shortage last year they didnt have them, not sure if they will or not this year.

I get the flu wether or not I get them anyway. I normally get it about twice a year. Already had it once this year.

Back