Flood At Nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppyHollow

Reaction score
Kathey, Tina, Jean and I got to Tulsa about 6:30 am on Friday the 7th after driving straight thru from Greer, SC. We were in Barn C on the first aisle right by the practice arena barn. So we spend Friday getting settled in, adding classes, checking where people we know are stabled and then we were ready to make a fairly early night of it. We were sleeping in one of the stalls when all of a sudden about 1 am or so, there was a huge rushing water sound. Got up and started yanking horses out of their stalls because they were flooded! At least an inch in three of them and the one on the very end across from the tack stall had more. Luckily empty stalls an aisle up so got them in the dry. Then back to rescue our belongings. Everything scattered down the hallway and then had to move it all further up the hallway as the water advanced. We had a WATERFALL :new_shocked: behind our stalls. And all the water from the upper building came right in the side of ours. I think the first two stalls all the way down the outer aisle up to where the upper building ended flooded and all of ours on the first row did. They ended up giving us the stalls we moved into and gave the other people new stalls that they put up overnight in the Super Duty Building. We were standing there in the alley by Star Lakes booth trying to keep the drains from clogging up while the maintaince people brought more bags of shavings to try to stop it. One of them told us that there had been 2" of rain in 15 min. I know there were at least three times the waterfall started up.

I got a video of the waterfall. It's kinda dark and loud but best I could do under the circumstances. I just wanted proof of it!

Luckily the storm that was right behind it went north and no more downpours and then the rest of the week was great. Also luckily we didn't show until Sunday afternoon! We and the horses needed it after that wild night. I think we finally got back to bed about 5:30.

Any other flood stories?

Is that why all those bags of shavings were in the aisle next to Star Lake Tack? Well I was wondering why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, they were trying at that point to keep the whole barn from flooding as the water just kept pouring it. The first aisle on the right (coming from Star Lake) was covered in at least 1" of mud all the way up to the 5th stall in from the outside. We were so glad they worked something out so we didn't have to stay there.

We missed it all, thank heavens. Was all gone when we rolled in on Monday p.m., and so was the heat from the week before. Had fantastic weather the rest of the week. Sorry you had to 'swim' for a bit. We heard 7" in an hour! Wow. We could see the storm ahead of us as we headed East to get there, but only got a TINY sprinkle on the way.

Yes went to the Microtel to take a shower, as everyone else was staying at the motel but I opted for the barn, I left going back to the barn mid way through the storm and the road from the motel to the barn (B - the side towards the motel) there is a "slight" dip and when I drove through it the water was up to my DOORS (handle) of the truck!!!

Luckily none of my stalls got flooded, or any water in them

Wow! :new_shocked: We were in barn C as well and didn't see a lick of water on our side thank goodness!

Hi,

We were 3-4 aisles down the line from you in Barn C and we also got flooded. I put our suitcases on the floor of the tack stall the night before. When we were awakened @ 4:00 AM (we slept in our tack stall) it was flooded as was our horses stall...shavings were fully soaked. The clothing in our suitcases had fully absorbed the water, so we had nothing to wear until I did laundry. My purse was on the floor, when I picked it up water ran out of it. Checkbook was totally soaked, etc.

We were lucky that was all that got wet.....shavings, clothes and purse. Sounds like you folks had show clothes and all drenched, since you got the waterfall from the roof above you.

Our neighbors had clipped horses the night before and left their clippers on the floor overnight when they went to the motel. When they returned to their stalls the next morning, the clippers were ruined from the water.

We spent the better part of Saturday morning hosing out our tack and horse stall, placing fans on the floor to dry it out and moving back into the stalls.

It was an inconvenience but things could have been worse.......no humans or horses were harmed because of it.

Steph

We had gone back to the hotel about 11, took our showers and was ready for bed, when I remembered I forgot to turn the fans off the horses. After a debate between my husband (who does not do the clipping) and myself about whether it will make their hair grow too fast, we drove back to the barns for a quick run in, turn fans off and leave. I came out of the last stall, turned around and the water was running up the middle of the aisle and had already got into two of our friends tack stalls. I had left my cell at the hotel (not smart) and borrowed the peoples on the next aisle to call my friends. I couldn't get into their tack stalls as they were locked. One of them was in a trailer at the grounds and luckily the other was at the Microtel right there on the fairgrounds. We stayed and pushed water out with brooms until round one was over and made it back to our hotel several miles away around 2:30am. After we left, round two came in and I think everyone else was there until after 3.

Yep!!! We were in Barn D (Super Duty Barn, had the best stalls there, until the flood. We came in the next morning, and new stalls had been put up where our 2 picnic tables had been. At least we got to enjoy all the extra room for a few days.

Latest posts

Back