Flax seed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetheart

Reaction score
I saw on a related post that a number of you feed ground flax seed and have a question for you: do whole flax seeds do anything for the horse or do you have to grind them for them to get the benefits? Do you buy them already ground or do you have to grind them yourselves (and if so, how do you do it?).

Thanks!

I buy it whole and grind it myself with a coffee grinder. I put it in coffee cans and freeze what I'm not immediately using. When the in use can is empty, I get a new one out of the freezer (can be fed straight away, it doesn't freeze into a solid form).

It brings out the shine and gold tones on the horses and it is a healthy fat. It aids in shedding in the spring. I'm very happy with how it has helped my horses' coats look.

I feed it whole because one of the forum people suggested that the horses are able to grind it themselves.

I also eat flax myself every morning on cereal and was told by the health food store that once it's ground it needs to be refrigerated because it is like peanuts, and will get rancid if kept too long in the ground form before using.

I started with flax last year for the horses and had a couple of issues (we have 31 horses) that made me wonder if the flax had anything to do with, since it was the only change I made and it wasn't a problem I had ever had prior.

I was assured that feeding flax would not have been the cause.(the issues were 2 aborts at around 5 or 6 months gestation) I stopped the flax and so did the aborts, however people said it could not have been the flax.

I feed whole flax seed really more for its "psylium effect" then anything else.

I do believe though that to get the "coat enhancer" effect it needs to be ground.

I feed about 1 tablespoon a day of the whole flax seeds

The horse can not digest whole flax seed, it cannot break open the tough shells. However, because of this, whole flax seed can be used as a psyllium effect (it gets gooey and has the same laxative effect as psyllium) to help clear sand out of the gut. You will see the whole flax seeds pass in the manure. Feed about 1/2 cup for the first seven to ten days of each month for this effect.

To release the wonderful Omega 3 fatty acids in the flax seed, grind and use immediately. Feed daily for best coat results. Be aware that flax seed does go rancid once it is ground, it does not store very long although you can store it for a few days in the fridge.

Some places are now carrying "cold milled ground flax seed" which has a much more stable shelf life. I have seen it at www.kvvet.com it is called Omega Plus.

Andrea

To release the wonderful Omega 3 fatty acids in the flax seed, grind and use immediately. Feed daily for best coat results. Be aware that flax seed does go rancid once it is ground, it does not store very long although you can store it for a few days in the fridge.
Andrea, if it goes rancid, does it smell "off"? What I've been feeding all this year is what I ground up LAST year and froze. A container lasts us a few weeks stored in the house. The rest has been stored in the freezer and like I said was ground last year. I'm thinking if it were rancid, it would smell but it doesn't (so hoping it's okay? no one's been sick).

Where can you get large amounts of flax seed ? I'm aware that you can buy it by the jar in grocery stores - which I'm sure is also expensive if using alot. So where do you's buy your flaxseed ?

most of your feed stores can get it, they may or may not have it in stock, with 2 feed stores here its a special order, some others farther away I think they have it in stock. I paid $28 for a 25lb bag, I split with a neighbor.
default_smile.png

Karen

most of your feed stores can get it, they may or may not have it in stock, with 2 feed stores here its a special order, some others farther away I think they have it in stock. I paid $28 for a 25lb bag, I split with a neighbor.
default_smile.png

Karen

OH OK ! Cool ! So how long does a 25lb bag last for one horse ? (or you could just tell me what the approx feed ration should be of it and I can figure it out for myself )
default_smile.png

well, it will last quite a while, I bought mine about 3-4 months ago, and I've used about a 1/4 of a bag. I completely quit feeding my horses for a while though they were WAAAYYYY to fat, on the verge of founder fat, they are also out 24/7 on grass. They have all but one slimmed down nicely. I feed 1/4 a cup once a day, ground fresh before I use it in a coffee grinder.

Karen

Question : how much are you eating yourself? Just curious :)

Latest posts

Back