First winter in NC

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelridge

Reaction score
WE have already had our first frost and being from Florida, I have NEVER seen frost in October.

We are trying to hurry and get our stalls built in our barn for shelter for our horses.

I am wanting to get some of the heated buckets for the stalls, and maybe a heated tank for the paddock.

Please give me all your opinions and thoughts on them as to which is better or which ones NOT to use. And where is the best place to buy them, I have checked online and they seem to be in the $32 to $36 range plus shipping.

Thanks to you all for your input.

Angie

I have some stall heated buckets and they are a couple of brands. I do not really know enough about them to have an opinion on which are better.

However, as to a heated tank, I really like those big, blue "muck bucket" looking heated water containers for out in the paddocks. They hold 16 gallons each. I have been using those for years and really like them.

Here's a link to the outdoor kind I really like: http://www.alliedprecision.com/heatedbucket2.html

We use the heated "muck buckets" Jill referred to and we like those as well. We put one or two in a paddock with a number of horses. We do have other water tubs that have heaters in as well. What we use varies depending on the number of horses per paddock. If we have to keep a horse in the barn we do use the heated single water bucket. I do not know if one brand is better than another though. Most of ours came from Farm and Fleet (like a Tractor Supply Store). jennifer :saludando:

Check your pet section at a local Wal-Mart. They have had the smaller heated buckets that also work for minis. I have two or three of those too. Since we clean water buckets daily for stalled horses, it helps to not have to carry heavy buckets to dump. I think they run about $25 or so.

We use the "muck bucket" waterers outside, we did try a tub with a wire heater in it but our horses didnt like it. Then we have heated buckets inside the stalls.

We've used heated buckets here for about 10 years or so. We use to have big horses, and one would colic because of the cold and heated buckets "cured" that horse before he was put down at the age of 20.

Thanks for the input and for the link. I think I will get one of those big buckets for the paddock for sure.

If you have a local TSC go there. We use the 5 gal size in stalls and the big ones in paddocks.

Angie,

I didn't know you were moving. NC is so pretty- how very lucky you are!! We'll miss you in Florida!

I love the heated buckets! They work great and mine has lasted about years so far, which is amazing the way it gets treated!
default_yes.gif
: If you have a local farm store or something they would probably range in price but i paid 30 or 40 for mine.But it is worth it,by far!

HI Angie,

I'm with libby...TSC is the place to find all the winter gear your gonna need. we live in Ohio...so, we get plenty of the cold stuff...yuk...I am not looking forward to it at all.

good luck,

lis

p.s do you have long johns?? your gonna need them :eek: lol!!

"p.s do you have long johns?? your gonna need them lol!! "

Actually yes! I found some really cute pink ones at TS. LOL! I also gots me a pair of those 20 below boots. If my feet get cold,, its over,, I'll be in the house under a blankie with a cup of hot chocolate.

This will be my first cold winter EVER! But the best part is,, all my family is still in FL so I can go back and visit if it gets TO cold.

Thanks to each and every one of you for your suggestions!

Angie

Latest posts

Back