First time clipping my mini - need advice.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christyinco

Reaction score
My miniature is a yearling and this will be my first clipping with him (I've never clipped a horse before). He was clipped once before when he was at the shelter (before I got him). I need advice on how to go about it, what type clippers are best, once clipped - do I need to blanket him at night, tips and tricks! I'm not showing him or anything like that, so my goal is to make it a positive experience for him and just get the job done. He has already shedded out a bit, but not enough with our days getting into the 80s. Right now the nights get into the 50s (in Colorado). Here is a picture of him - as you can see is hair is pretty thick and dense.

Thanks!
Christy

Pico&Christy1.jpg

Interesting - I just searched the sight and found responses to someone clipping their 7 month old and people suggested not clipping - instead let the coat shed naturally. I would love to do that, he just seems so thick right now. He does find shade in the pasture under trees and loafing shed so maybe I should just brush him out a lot and see what happens?

I clipped my guys the Spring they turned two... Whether or not it is a good or bad thing, I don't (professionally) know. I felt horrible as it was in the 80's and they still had a good mop of fur on them. That being said, the same filly I clipped turned 3 this year and blew her whole coat before I ever had to clip her (I did give her a bib clip).

If you think your little man is uncomfortable, apply a bib clip. It's quick, easy, and keeps them cool. It is a clip that Equestrian's often use in winter months when keeping their horses in light/regular work. It is hard to see the clip lines on the picture I added, but the gray/mousy color is where you clip.

9550383.jpg

underbellyneck.jpg

^ You clip where the white is on this "red" horse hehe.

Keep aware of the heat on the clippers as well as long, sweeping strokes with the clippers. I have no suggestions for clippers, but I use my Wahl (the same ones I use on the bridle paths) because I don't body clip. If I cilp anything it's a bib clip and investing in body clippers can be a bit pricey.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he has been clipped before it may have been a good or a not so good experience - the first clip should always be done sympathetically, unrushed and with great care so that the horse is relaxed and happy.

If you can borrow some clippers and simply start them up reasonably near to your mini, you will soon see whether he is calm or worried about them. If worried then I would forget about the clipping for now (no need to go out and buy a pair!) and just concentrate on helping him shed that winter coat. Yearlings always seem to have big woolly coats over their first winter and do take a while to shed them completely - must admit that I often use (carefully) a pair of scissors on my yearlings alongside regular brushing to help with their Spring shift of hair.

If you do go ahead and clip him then yes, in my opinion he will need at least a light rug at night (maybe for the early morning and late evening aswell) - the difference between the day and night temps can make us feel a little chilly and a horse is no different.

I love your little boy - looks really cute!
default_yes.gif

The key thing to clipping is that if you use the average consumer or pro-sumer clippers (i.e., Oster, Andis, Wahl), you have to have a clean horse. Otherwise, you will go through blade after blade after blade. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TNTLOG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you're not showing, see if you can find yourself clippers like these: http://www.amazon.com/Andis-68035-Progress-Cattle-Clipper/dp/B0018KOI2C/ref=sr_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1401495109&sr=8-3-spell&keywords=andish+cattle+horse+clippers

Yes, they are pricey...so see if you can borrow or find some on Craigslist. These are perfect for getting the bulk of the hair off the neck/body in no time and without bathing! I could clip my horse's body and neck in 20 minutes with these. I could then use my (now) Andis clippers: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TNTLOG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to do the finer clipping of the legs and head. There are less expensive 2 speed clippers out there by Andis as well.

If your boy has already shed out quite a bit, this second type of clipper is fine as long as the horse is bathed. Buy at least two sets of blades so you can swap out as they heat up. I have found Amazon to have the best prices on blades vs. buying them locally.

Go slow, don't rush. Give yourself plenty of time to work. I like to bathe in the a.m. and clip in the early afternoon or bathe late afternoon and clip the next morning. I make sure to have a deeply bedded (with straw) stall ready so I can take my freshly washed horse there to dry while staying reasonably clean. Depending on the time of year, they will get blanketed with the wicking blankets I have on handed to help speed up the drying and keep them warm if needed.

Use an "approach and retreat" method. I've found my horses (when younger) didn't mind the neck and body clipping much at all once they realized that noisy monster in my hand was not going to kill them. Again, you could get away with just body/neck clipping since you're not planning on showing.

Personally, I can't wait to get that hair off my horses in the spring, so they look like horses and not yaks :p So yes, since I clipped between mid-April and early May, I blanketed a few nights as needed. Once we got to mid-May I didn't need to at all. I'm in Maryland so it would also depend on where you are located.

One more thing, if at all possible, find a way to have warm water for the bathing. I am lucky in that I can run a hose from my washing machine water lines (I unhook the washer lines) in the basement. My horses are so much more relaxed during their baths now that I'm doing it with warm water.

He is a pretty boy! love your photo. This is good info about the bib trim. If it is way too hot and humid there, a simple venting like that will help your little guy.

Grooming and venting if needed are all a horse needs unless they are going in the show ring and have to be clipped.

I totally clip especially the young ones first who don't shed nearly enough. Its too hot under that mess and it has to go. I always say when you first clip, make a game out of it. Go to the favorite itchy place which is usually where they can't reach like the chest. I rub it up and down with the clippers and then I start clipping and they are in heaven with it and realize how good it feels. Then keep going and going from the chest to the neck, all the places they love first and that will usually take care of the fear. And be sure your clippers don't begin to pull or get hot as that hurts. Enjoy!

While I will say I do agree with the whole bath first thing, it is sometimes not practical the first clip of the year here in Montana. Weather is unpredictable and cools quickly and the long coats simply do not dry quickly enough and the horses get cold. So the first clip of the year I realize that I am going to have to sacrifice some blades to get the job done. I always so that first clip several months ahead of any show and find we do just fine. Even dirty I have had no problems with clipper lines, just the dulling of the blades. The next clip for the show they are short coated and I can easily bath and scrub them clean and then clip. By then the weather is warmer and more predicable and their coats are shorter and dry much more easily.

I have to say that I love my double K clippers and highly recommend them if you are willing to make the investment. They unfortunately do not come cheap. As for blades I usually use osters. Schneiders tack had a sale on them this spring buy one get one free made the cost per blade about $12.50 each. I usually buy 10's for body clipping.

Other than that go slow and be methodical, always clip the same way as in starting in the same place each time and your horse will get used to the routine. Clip against the hair. Keep an eye on the blades to make sure they don't get hot, I usually swap back and forth between a couple of different sets, make sure they are the same size blades.

As to blanketing I blanket mine at night when it is under 50 degrees

Good luck!

I recommend andis 5 speed (or 2 speed) clippers with a 10 blade. (i use the showedge blades) Go against the hair. Like the opposite way you would brush him.

Long strokes. Bathe him first if possible. Unless its 40s or below you dont need to blanket him he'll be fine. If you're not showing him he doesnt need to look perfect just get the hair off. It'll take a bit, dont rush. And you'll have to take breaks because the clippers will get hot since his hair is so thick and long. make sure you oil the clippers every few minutes also.

If you want him to be show clipped I recommend brooke the clipper girl's dvds. You can find her on facebook or www.theclippergirl.com

My first body clip was last year and honestly it looked awesome lol. Good luck don't worrry about being perfect!

You have already had a decent amount of explaining by other people but what I can and will advise is: Make it a good experience for them.

Nothing worse then having to clip a horse whose had a previous bad experience.

I always clip mine first thing in the late spring without a bath. A know it isn't ideal, but the water is too cold. Be sure your blades are sharp; dull blades pull hairs. I keep a jar of blade wash and as a blade gets hot I brush off the hair and drop it in the wash. I use 3 blades. by the time the 3rd one is hot, the first is cool. A drop of oil on the blade before using it is good. I have the Andis 2 speed and use #10 blades.

At a clinic, the demonstrator began on the horse's rear by the back legs and worked up over the rump, then across the body. So that is what I do. I worry most about getting the icky hair off, not whether the job is perfect. Always lay your hand on the area you plan to clip next so the horse is prepared for the clipper. So, if changing from belly to leg, lay your hand on the leg before the clipper.

Northern Tails blade sharpening has a very informative video about clipper/blade care. His sharpening is wonderful and he is quick.

If you know a dog groomer, perhaps she can help you the first time, as there is a knack to holding the clipper efficiently.

My hroses are so happy to get rid of the hot hair! They frolic and follow me around, as though to say "thank you!"

Sometimes it takes a year to do some parts, like ears or legs. Just go slow. I hope you will not twitch the ears; this makes it really difficult to clip ears in the future. And try not to hang onto the halter, as this can put severe pressure on the nose. Support the head with your hand.

This is my two cents!

I agree on Northern Tails for blade sharpening he does awesome work and has a great turn around time as well!

Back