First show - are there REALLY 100 halter classes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakrunfarm

Reaction score
After 25 years showing AQHA, we stopped for various reasons and sold the last of our horses in April. I thought I'd be all relieved to be taking a break, but I am already missing owning and showing horses!

Posts on FB got me interested in the minis, so we are going this weekend to check out what appears to be a large show here in NC.

It is a 3 day show, and we are trying to figure out what day would be best to attend because we are driving from a couple of hours away. I noticed on the showbill that there are 100 different halter classes the first day. Will all of those have entries? Do they ever combine classes or show them concurrently? We are primarily interested in halter mares, and the first mare class is the 66th class.

On the 2nd day, the halter does not start before noon (due to H/J and obstacle driving). Then halter with stallions first, then mares. I'm thinking Sat. might be a better choice for us.

Any info and time frame ideas on how long things might take would be most appreciated!

Does this show also have ASPC Shetland classes? Otherwise there may not be entries in every class... But you never know!

I have to confess, I am not sure what the acronyms all mean, but I am assuming so.

The show on Friday is a ASPC/AMHR show.

The show Sat is divided into some classes for what I think (not sure) are ASPC/AMHR (Open Versatility and H/J and Obstacle Driving), and then AMHA in the afternoon and on through Sunday.

Does that help?

Thanks!

Yes, there are 100 halter classes and no, some may not have entries. I do not believe they ever combine them.

I did find the classlist, the AMHR mares are on Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wouldn't let me edit again, so:

No, they never run concurrently.

Plus, the AMHR and ASPC mares are Friday and the AMHA mares are on Saturday, so either day would work for you.

Thank you. I was unsure what to expect and what to be looking for. I'm just getting started on research and embarassed to admit I don't even really know the differences between the associations.

If I am mainly interested in the more exotic Arab type halter minis, which is the association more aligned with that? Is that both AMHR and AMHA?

Thx again!

I think you'll find the type of Miniature Horse you describe in both the American Miniature Horse Registry (AMHR) and the American Miniature Horse Association (AMHA). I would suggest you view both associations web sites to see which has shows in your area, then look for Miniature Horse Clubs in your area and again see which organization they are most involved with. Geography will probably lead you to the right association for you. Best of Luck, these little horses are great fun!

Jacki Loomis [email protected]

Thank you. I was unsure what to expect and what to be looking for. I'm just getting started on research and embarassed to admit I don't even really know the differences between the associations.

If I am mainly interested in the more exotic Arab type halter minis, which is the association more aligned with that? Is that both AMHR and AMHA?

Thx again!

You will find AMHR lean more towards the shetland type look, especially in the Over division. In the Under division, which will be your 34" and under horses you can find more of the type your looking for. BUT, in AMHA if you browse thru their World Magazine you will notice a lot more of that arab type. So which registry I would lean more towards too if I want that type would be AMHA, in AMHR you will find more of your shetland type miniatures especially when so many that are showing are your double registered shetlands showing as minis.

But you have to look at whats in your area and what registry is more popular. If you have a nice mini you can be competitive in AMHR no matter the type you have.

Only classes for Classic ponies and a few driving classes. Not a full ASPC show. Would have been there if the MP division was offered.

Welcome to lilbeginnings you have come to a great place to start your research. Going to shows will also be of tremendous benefit. Miniature horses/ponies unlike AQHA horses are put in classes by size besides the gender(in halter classes) so makes for more classes. Check out each associations website: http://shetlandminiature.com/ and http://www.amha.org/. I think both registries have the Arab looking miniatures. My advise(and I consider myself a newbie to miniatures after life long owning & showing APHA horses) would be TAKE YOUR TIME and pursue the look YOU are looking for. IF you are wanting to show consider what shows are in your area. Many miniatures are dual registered(both AMHA & AMHR) some even are registered as ASPC(Shetland) and/or PtHA(Pinto) which would open more doors to showing if these are offered I your area. Good luck with your research!

There should not be 100
default_biggrin.png

It is separated by height (Over / Under divisions), Gender (Stallion / Mare / Gelding), and Age.

^ That's all actually a good thing
default_yes.gif

They also offer halter classes for the ametuer, and AMHA has halter classes for the ametuer owner to exhibit. You are going to love this show! We went to it this spring, and wanted to go to this one, but just couldn't afford it. The facilities are really great, and the people are very friendly, and if you have any questions will gladly answer.

Riverrose, it is going to be a little strange for me. We've been showing QH at this facility since it first opened and there were only two barns finished!

It will be the first time I've ever been there and not been showing/riding.

I can't wait to see all of these beauties in person!

I'm not sure who is going to be there, but if Daniel Hill Training or RHA training is there, look them up they can help with anything you may want to ask.

Welcome! I've shown big horses my whole life until getting injured and purchasing\adopting my little guy sometime late last year (don't remember exact date). Now I am totally addicted and loving every minute of it, though I'm not showing just yet due to some training issues that needed addressing. Anyways as far as I know both registries have the Arab type Minis though mine looks more like a fat little draft, not a pretty little Arab. I think everyone else can give you better advise than me so I'll just say welcome and warn you that Minis are like potato chips so I would beware of ending up with more than you planned.
default_smile.png

Thanks for the warm welcome!

We are leaving first thing in the morning so we will be able to see as much as possible. We plan to spend the day. I wish now we'd done as we considered and taken our trailer and stayed. We'd already be there.
default_yes.gif

Can't wait!

How did it go? Did you go home with any Shetlands or Miniature horses??

I'm returning from Florida (celebrated 25th wedding anniversary w/ non-horsey hubby). MIGHT be able to go to the show next weekend (not taking ponies to show - may take a couple to see if they measure in as Minis)...

Latest posts

Back