First Open Show in our Area

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteTailsMinis

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question and probably one to ask the show coordinator, but since they are big horses and not minis - they may not know how to advise us.

Therefore, coming to you at LB for the answers:

Hunter vs Stock ............... they have conformation classes in both.

The Hunter conformation classes are in a ring geared to Western classes.

The Stock conformation classes are in a ring geared to English classes.

Which should we enter with a miniature?

Can you enter both (stock and hunter just to see what the judges think they are? if they are not at the same time of course)?

Then they have a conformation class that is for both English & Wester 2 yrs and under.

If you enter the confirmation class for geldings/stallions, can you also enter the next class for 2 yrs and under also? I assume this is all genders in one big class.

Since there aren't any minis - we'll be up against big horses - so we want to pick the best class that is most appropriate to the miniature (so we don't look incredibly stupid LOL)

They also have a showmanship class for Novice Seniors (over age 19) which we would be novice of course.

If we were brave enought to try that (doubt we'll risk humiliation though), could we also enter the showmanship novice horse also? I'm thinking if you enter novice horse, then you better be darn good at showmanship - or are they simply judging the horse in this one? Whereas the Novice Senior the person is being judged?

If nothing else, they'll see our gorgeous Billy Idol son and get some idea of what we're breeding here in their back yard - marketing if nothing else - but more importantly to have some fun and maybe gain alittle experience in the ring for something bigger down the road maybe? LOL

Thanks for any info you can provide..... I know it's alot of questions/areas to cover but while we want to have fun - we don't want to be laughed out of the ring either LOL

well I did find one answer to my question - you cannot cross enter hunter & stock - you have to pick ONE or the other:

CONFORMATION Classes - a horse or pony may enter ONLY ONE conformation

class for both Year-End divisions and per Horse Show. You may not cross-enter

between Hunter and Stock classes. Pointed on the horse.

CONFORMATION DIVISIONS -

(Classes open to both English and Western entries)

2 Year Olds and Under – Open to horses/ponies of any sex ages 2 and

under. Both Stock types and Hunter types combined.

STOCK TYPE CLASSES: judged by the Western Ring judge – stronger emphasis

on the animal in relating to Western performance ability.

Ponies – Open to all age ponies 14.2 hands or under

Mares – Open to all age mares

Geldings/Stallions – Open to all age geldings or stallions

HUNTER TYPE CLASSES: judged by the English Ring judge – stronger emphasis

on the animal in relating to English performance ability.

Ponies – Open to all age ponies 14.2 hands or under

Mares – Open to all age mares

Geldings/Stallions – Open to all age geldings or stallions

NOTE: No one under age 19 may show a stallion.

AGE: For horse show purposes the age of a horse/pony is computed by

the calendar year starting with the first day of January following the actual

date of foaling. Example – a horse foaled in April 2008 is considered 1 year

old on January 1, 2009.

GENERAL: All of the above classes are shown in hand. Judges attempt to relate form to function. Factors considered in judging include: general appearance, balance and style, skeletal structure, amount of muscling, soundness, trueness to breed or type of characteristics, stride, and way of going, indications of disposition and blemishes. All horses and ponies must be shown in halters or bridles appropriate to their breed. (See rule #3 of additional show rules regarding attire.)

so based on that - do we do the Western or English classes for conformation?

Also found another class we could do (actually it specifies minis!) but what would be the appropriate halter for the breed type they mention? barn halter or show halter? Here's the description:

TRAIL IN HAND Class -- Open to all horses/ponies ages 2 & under not yet riding or showing under saddle and any age miniature horse. Animals may be shown in halter or bridle appropriate to their breed type. Handlers may be of any age. The handler is not allowed to touch the horse/pony in any way other than by leading. (i.e. handler should not pick up the horse’s foot and set on the bridge). Entries will not be disqualified for touching but it will be used as a major fault in scoring. See

4-H rule book under "Trail" for additional guidelines. If an entry is shown here they are not allowed in any other trail class.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be a dumb question and probably one to ask the show coordinator, but since they are big horses and not minis - they may not know how to advise us.

Therefore, coming to you at LB for the answers:

Hunter vs Stock ............... they have conformation classes in both.

The Hunter conformation classes are in a ring geared to Western classes.

The Stock conformation classes are in a ring geared to English classes.

Which ever class,Western or English, you enter be sure to have the correct dress for you and gear for the horse. I've been to shows that insist if you are showing in an "English halter" class that you wear the jacket(at the very least)and have an English headstall (or plain leather halter) on the horse and you could braid the tail and even a running braid on the mane (if you choose to). If you go in the Western, you should have a Western halter or a plain leather one and wear the boots, hat, etc.

Which should we enter with a miniature?

Can you enter both (stock and hunter just to see what the judges think they are? if they are not at the same time of course)?

Then they have a conformation class that is for both English & Wester 2 yrs and under.

If you enter the confirmation class for geldings/stallions, can you also enter the next class for 2 yrs and under also? I assume this is all genders in one big class.

If your mini is 2 and under then I'd go for entering that class as the other one puts him against more horses.

Since there aren't any minis - we'll be up against big horses - so we want to pick the best class that is most appropriate to the miniature (so we don't look incredibly stupid LOL)

They also have a showmanship class for Novice Seniors (over age 19) which we would be novice of course.

If we were brave enought to try that (doubt we'll risk humiliation though), could we also enter the showmanship novice horse also? I'm thinking if you enter novice horse, then you better be darn good at showmanship - or are they simply judging the horse in this one? Whereas the Novice Senior the person is being judged?

I've never been to a show where they had separate classes for novice people and novice horses. Normally showmanship is judged heavily on the person and not the horse. If you know how to do the showmanship class then try one of them. Please let us know how it comes out.

If nothing else, they'll see our gorgeous Billy Idol son and get some idea of what we're breeding here in their back yard - marketing if nothing else - but more importantly to have some fun and maybe gain alittle experience in the ring for something bigger down the road maybe? LOL

Thanks for any info you can provide..... I know it's alot of questions/areas to cover but while we want to have fun - we don't want to be laughed out of the ring either LOL

Trail in hand is a fun class and one that my mare excels at. I prefer to show in a Western halter as it gives me a big more control over her body but we also show in the tiny show halters that minis use. Even a nice (clean), well-fitted, nylon halter will work for this class.

Thanks Sandee for all the helpful info - now we just gotta concentrate on the attire ... guess we'll look foolish if we're dressed like the folks in rated shows? we couldn't do the black jacket and black pants sort of thing at this open show? It specifies long sleeve collard shirt, western jeans or pants and a HAT ......... good lord - all that for couple classes one day? LOL

now we just gotta concentrate on the attire ... guess we'll look foolish if we're dressed like the folks in rated shows? we couldn't do the black jacket and black pants sort of thing at this open show?
At our local open shows, they dress anywhere & inbetween of simple (nice jeans, long sleeved shirt, hat) to more dressy (slacks, jacket, felt hat). Doesn't seem to affect the placings. Except of course in showmanship. As long as you don't show in shorts & a short sleeved shirt you should be fine with whatever you choose.

In the performance & showmanship classes a nice fitting leather western style halter works well. They make some really nice ones now.

I've seen several miniatures kick tail up against the big halter horses. Your horses should do really well.

Have fun & take lots of pictures.
default_smile.png

At our local open shows, they dress anywhere & inbetween of simple (nice jeans, long sleeved shirt, hat) to more dressy (slacks, jacket, felt hat). Doesn't seem to affect the placings. Except of course in showmanship. As long as you don't show in shorts & a short sleeved shirt you should be fine with whatever you choose.

In the performance & showmanship classes a nice fitting leather western style halter works well. They make some really nice ones now.

I've seen several miniatures kick tail up against the big halter horses. Your horses should do really well.

Have fun & take lots of pictures.
smile.gif

Thank you - that makes me feel alot better! Thanks for the vote of confidence also - and we'll surely post some photos.

Open shows are a ton of fun to do with minis but the requirements are a bit different from breed shows.
default_wink.png
My local shows do have halter classes where you'd use a show halter and a nice jack/pant combo but it sounds like yours is more along the lines of my old 4-H shows and Sandee is absolutely right- you'll need to wear western clothes for the stock type class and English attire for the Hunter version. That is especially true in Showmanship! Showmanship is judged entirely on the person's ability to show the horse (which includes how clean you get the horse and how you set them up/train them but nothing on the quality of the horse itself) so your presentation must be impeccable. Use the same clothes for the in-hand trail class too, again showing either English or western style.

It's hard to know where to place a mini when the choices are "Hunter" or "Stock" but you're generally safe with stock for most minis unless they are completely show conditioned and very refined. Slap a nice western halter on them, stand them square and look proud and you'll do fine! For a lighter, more warmbloody-looking mini I'd buy an open snaffle bridle, dig out my old hunt jacket and breeches and enjoy showing them braided just like a big horse. I sort of miss that!
default_blush.png
But western is probably both easier and cheaper to pull together on short notice and that's what I'd enter if I was in your position.

I would do Stock-type conformation (2 year olds, gelding/stallion, whatever he was eligible for), Novice Senior Showmanship (but would probably skip the Novice Horse class) and In-Hand Trail and concentrate on having a good time and getting him to behave around all the excitement of a show. Teach him to set up square (you aren't allowed to touch the horse in Showmanship so he needs to do it off your body language, not hand-setting) and to stand quietly but don't worry about any stretching or halter-stuff for this. Does he know how to sidepass and pivot and such for trail?

If you have a nice western performance halter I'd use it, if not a plain leather halter, fancy nylon halter or plain nylon halter would all work in that order.

Good luck! Open shows are fun so remember to have a good time.

Leia

Open shows are a ton of fun to do with minis but the requirements are a bit different from breed shows.
wink.gif
My local shows do have halter classes where you'd use a show halter and a nice jack/pant combo but it sounds like yours is more along the lines of my old 4-H shows and Sandee is absolutely right- you'll need to wear western clothes for the stock type class and English attire for the Hunter version. That is especially true in Showmanship! Showmanship is judged entirely on the person's ability to show the horse (which includes how clean you get the horse and how you set them up/train them but nothing on the quality of the horse itself) so your presentation must be impeccable. Use the same clothes for the in-hand trail class too, again showing either English or western style.

It's hard to know where to place a mini when the choices are "Hunter" or "Stock" but you're generally safe with stock for most minis unless they are completely show conditioned and very refined. Slap a nice western halter on them, stand them square and look proud and you'll do fine! For a lighter, more warmbloody-looking mini I'd buy an open snaffle bridle, dig out my old hunt jacket and breeches and enjoy showing them braided just like a big horse. I sort of miss that!
blush.gif
But western is probably both easier and cheaper to pull together on short notice and that's what I'd enter if I was in your position.

I would do Stock-type conformation (2 year olds, gelding/stallion, whatever he was eligible for), Novice Senior Showmanship (but would probably skip the Novice Horse class) and In-Hand Trail and concentrate on having a good time and getting him to behave around all the excitement of a show. Teach him to set up square (you aren't allowed to touch the horse in Showmanship so he needs to do it off your body language, not hand-setting) and to stand quietly but don't worry about any stretching or halter-stuff for this. Does he know how to sidepass and pivot and such for trail?

If you have a nice western performance halter I'd use it, if not a plain leather halter, fancy nylon halter or plain nylon halter would all work in that order.

Good luck! Open shows are fun so remember to have a good time.

Leia

Thanks - great info - making me nervous again though! LOL

You're right about the 4H sound of this. They are literally a 4H club that does Open Show Circuit also but primarily follow the 4H rules of the show circuit.

First time for us - so we'll see - but if we don't try - we won't learn anything to try again right? Problem is the show is this Sunday - can't get anything shipped in time (afraid to chance it) and they don't sell anything MINI around here at the tack or feed stores ............ although .......... amish might have it since we bought our harness and such from them......... might check there for leather halter. Holly is going in the ring with him and she just received the gorgeous show halters she picked out herself - I'm pretty sure she wants to use that on him - perhaps we'll start a new trend with them at these local shows. LOL

thanks everyone for helping us along - - if I'm this nervous at local show, got help us if we ever consider ametuer AMHA shows. LOL

It's been many years since we had the time to do the local open shows, but I bet you will be surprised at how well you place there! If you go into the ring spit and polished like you would for a breed show and your horses are well trained you will be impressive.

If your horses are of the type seen in todays breed shows you will probably want to go in the 'english' type classes. Using an arabian style show halter and your attire being a jacket and pants like you would for AMHA or AMHR. (hair neatly confined always)

If you have more of a stock type (conformation) horse then a western halter and full western attire for the exhibitor.

For the showmanship classes I would choose the 'novice exhibitor' if you aren't very experienced with showmanship.

And you MUST report back with how your day went! (pictures would be good
default_yes.gif
)

Charlotte

Thanks Charlotte! wow!

So, based on your comment regarding "type", thought I might post a couple recent photos of our boy and let folks out in LB land figure out whether to do English or Western (the jacket and slacks would be so much easier than the western gear)- and Holly has a flashy rhinestone studded beaded halter she just got). He measures just under 30"

Destiny2y_1.jpg

Destiny2y_2.jpg

Destiny2y_3.jpg

Hi Marlene!

Being that I'm a huge expert now with 2 whole shows under my belt :::: big smart-aleck grin inserted here ::::: I'm sure I can provide some help.

At our miniature club shows, the style is geared for "stock" or Western style showing. For non-showmanship classes, people generally where nice jeans with a long-sleeved shirt of some sort. Some where button down, western wear type shirts while others wear "show shirts" which are really spangly-sparkly. ALL MUST BE LONG SLEEVED (say she who worn 3/4 length sleeves to the first show). Being a larger woman myself, I found a very light weight red dress shirt that I wear a black or red tank top under with my best "dress" jeans.

BOOTS are another necessity. Both my daughter and I are wearing black ankle boots that are actually winter boots.

Some people wear hats, others don't. I don't have an appropriate hat yet, so I don't right now.

For showmanship classes, a jacket, hat and gloves are *required*. I'll send you a link to some pics I took at our first show in may where I took some shots of the adult showmanship class to give you an idea of how folks were dressed. You cannot touch your horse at all in showmanship in our club shows. You can do some *minor* feed adjustments in halter classes.

I would likely lean toward to the "stock" classes because it's likely you have the clothes for it on hand for it vs. more formal wear for an English style class. You can always do the English style class next time!

And I should probably add this: walk with the horse on your right side. I made that mistake too!

We showed with "barn halters" the first two shows but at our show, everyone practically has the show halters so I've since bought two inexpensive ones and we'll be using them at this week's show.

You're braver than I....I'm terrified of open shows where it's likely that we'd be the only ones with minis. Mostly because I'm so clueless about showing period that at least at the mini shows, I'm with people who "get" my horse. LOL!

PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES! And be prepared to tell us ALL about the experience!

Hi Marlene!

Being that I'm a huge expert now with 2 whole shows under my belt :::: big smart-aleck grin inserted here ::::: I'm sure I can provide some help.

At our miniature club shows, the style is geared for "stock" or Western style showing. For non-showmanship classes, people generally where nice jeans with a long-sleeved shirt of some sort. Some where button down, western wear type shirts while others wear "show shirts" which are really spangly-sparkly. ALL MUST BE LONG SLEEVED (say she who worn 3/4 length sleeves to the first show). Being a larger woman myself, I found a very light weight red dress shirt that I wear a black or red tank top under with my best "dress" jeans.

BOOTS are another necessity. Both my daughter and I are wearing black ankle boots that are actually winter boots.

Some people wear hats, others don't. I don't have an appropriate hat yet, so I don't right now.

For showmanship classes, a jacket, hat and gloves are *required*. I'll send you a link to some pics I took at our first show in may where I took some shots of the adult showmanship class to give you an idea of how folks were dressed. You cannot touch your horse at all in showmanship in our club shows. You can do some *minor* feed adjustments in halter classes.

I would likely lean toward to the "stock" classes because it's likely you have the clothes for it on hand for it vs. more formal wear for an English style class. You can always do the English style class next time!

And I should probably add this: walk with the horse on your right side. I made that mistake too!

We showed with "barn halters" the first two shows but at our show, everyone practically has the show halters so I've since bought two inexpensive ones and we'll be using them at this week's show.

You're braver than I....I'm terrified of open shows where it's likely that we'd be the only ones with minis. Mostly because I'm so clueless about showing period that at least at the mini shows, I'm with people who "get" my horse. LOL!

PICTURES, PICTURES, PICTURES! And be prepared to tell us ALL about the experience!

Thanks Joy - I was smiling while reading your post - I always enjoy your stories!

No cowboy boots .... hoped that my Ariat/Roper boots would work? They are western ... LOL

Glad I don't have to dawn on a hat ..... and yes I like your idea of western vs more formal.

Right side no problem as I've always had big horses and showed years ago.

And two shows under your belt is awesome! (speaking of belt ....... I better find one as all my HARLEY belts and chains probably won't work! LOL Okay so that's some of MY humor in here too LOL)

Apparently you have "mini shows" in your area? We don't so if we want any type of practice for us and the horse, then we have to do this. LOL I'm pretty sure there have been a mini or two in these shows previously - would be fun to see them show up so we're not the only ones - maybe have a class to ourselves even!

Keep the suggestions coming - with everyone's help we should be ready by Sunday no problem! THANKS!!!!!!

Have some simple goals even if it is just to survive the experience and learn something. Our first goal is always "don't get hurt" so be sure to keep your distance from the "big" horses. Some of them are sure to be seeing minis for the first time and reactions may vary!

Our other rule is not to get DQd so this is where you need to know the rules. I once got DQd in a halter class at a Pinto show for "inappropriate attire" which had the people reading the judges' card really wondering what I wore!!! I had gotten soaked in a western showmanship class and changed to my DRY English attire for halter. I had checked the rule book and it should have been allowed, but these judges saw it differently. So attire for a halter class CAN be critical.

I wear my comfortable Ariat boots now and my competitors have followed my lead because COMFORT is so important. I buy black nylon barn halters which are handy for showing if you don't have leather.

Try to watch Showmanship before you go in and don't get frustrated. This class is all about the details but is good just to get the horse in the ring again. Your horse will likely need to pivot on the right hind foot for this one.

If you have (or can borrow) a belt with a trophy buckle.. some judges DO notice those things. Otherwise just plain black or brown works.

I wish there were more chances to do trail in hand at our open shows. Your horse will likely need to back, perhaps sidepass, and walk or trot over and around things. Think of it as fun and good experience. Trail and showmanship are like the big horse classes and one reason we got into minis. They were my FAVORITE classes and I realized I could do them with the minis - and I do.

ETA: For showmanship and trail I use a plain leather (or could be nylon) stable halter with a show lead (not a rope lead) and a stud chain UNDER the chin and attached to the UPPER ring on the right side of the halter. I would NOT use the stud chain if your mini isn't used to it, (some will rear), but it gives you a lot more control and you will see most of the big western horses done this way. It is standard for showmanship around here and also in most of the performance classes at any mini shows I go to.

Good luck, have fun, take lots of pics, and report back!

Pretty horse! That one I would go 'english' with.
default_smile.png
Depending on the breeds your judges are carded with you may want to set him up square. See if you can find out what breeds your judges carry cards in. That will tell you a lot about what the judge likes to see.

Charlotte

Have some simple goals even if it is just to survive the experience and learn something.
I have to heartily agree on this one! Our goals for the first couple of shows were to:

a) get there and back safely (i.e., get the horses loaded, trailer for the first time (me) and trailer for 2 hours each way...so it was a big deal and a big accomplishment all by itself!)

b) simply get into the ring

c) not worry about placement or ribbons no matter what

Our boots are basic winter weather ankle boots. They're black and can't be seen much under our jeans anyway. With the $ spent on getting to the show, prepping the horses and class fees, I have to keep the expense for my own clothes to a minimum for now. Goodwill is our friend in this situation for sure!

I agree with more English attire for that boy. Jacket and slacks for the handler for halter classes. No boots needed in a basic halter class unless you want to wear them. For Showmanship, boots, hats and gloves are required. Most Showmanship is done in Western attire for horse and handler, however, you can do English but you need to dress the part. Either Hunt Seat or Saddle Seat for the handler with an Arab style show halter on the horse.

Whatever you do, have fun!

so much good info - thanks everyone!

Targetsmom I never thought about the BIG horses ....... you are right about keeping our distance and being cautious. Thanks for that note and all the other great info - we're taking notes!

Charlotte - thank you. I'm thinking there is only one judge in each ring. I don't know enough about judges and cards so your tip is appreciated. Since asking once we get there will be too late to prepare - I believe I can ask the club folks or the show director that question tomorrow. It seems from the schedules that they have the same judges usually.

Becky - thanks - that's another vote for English. And slacks and jacket are something we do have. LOL I work and black is my main staple - got slacks and jacket covered.

Too bad Holly can't enter him in one class and then I enter him in another so we have the English/Western clothes covered LOL Unfortunately, we have to pick one.

I'm pretty sure we are skipping showmanship our first time out.... we will be a spectator for that class this go round. LOL

I've shown open shows for forever...Show your guy as an english type...If you do hunt type, you show dressed in hunt and the mini wears a hunt bridle,and mane and tail should be braided in hunt fashion. You can't wear an Arabian style bridle unless your showing him as a saddleseat type, then you may wear the type of clothing you wear at regular rated shows.Western halter..leather halter, nice western shirt, jeans,belt, hat, boots if you have them.

In showmanship , for english..your english clothing, and again the english bridle.. for western,(a stock class) mane would look better banded, even if long, nice leather halter with matching lead, you do not have to use a stud chain if you don't need to, a nice western shirt,tucked in if cotton and ironed,left out if the "jacket" style, jeans(for the cotton type top)or showmanship pants,(for the blingy,zip front lycra type tops) if you can, match the pants color to the show shirt...belt,(unless your using the jacket type top and it covers the waistline, there are both longer and shorter versions) boots, also try to match these to your pants color,(easiest if your going black) and western hat...Gloves aren't used in showmanship anymore..

My grand daughter who shows our QH may not always have all the expensive show clothes but she is always clean and neat, boots polished and hat cleaned and brushed...I would suggest e-bay for future purchases..That is where I find all of Olivias showmanship and horsemanship outfits...

Please don't this scare you! Open shows are fun!Our horse club actually has mini classes at our open shows..Everyone always oohs and ahhs over the minis! I know I've probably either scared you or confused you....remember..We ALL start at the beginning...otherwise how are you to learn if you don't just DO it?? Now go show!!!! If you have any questions I will be glad to answer them!

penny is correct. If the class is "hunter type" then you should be showing hunter style--horse braided & wearing a hunt bridle, or at least a plain leather halter, with the horse being posed like a hunter. Ideally the handler would wear hunt attire, but you might get away with long sleeves & dress pants--no jeans.

If the class is merely "english type" then your Mini/Arab style show halter is appropriate, as that is suitable for a saddle seat type of English horse. You don't need saddle seat attire, just slacks & long sleeve shirt. This is the way we always showed our Morgans in open shows--we presented them as Morgans, with Morgan type show halters, and posed in a Morgan pose (stretched) and we wore slacks & long sleeve blouses, and running shoes--all accepted Morgan show attire. When we entered the yearling and 2 year old classes there was often no English/western designation, it was just open so we were up against stock type breeds as well as English and hunter type breeds. We still presented the Morgans as Morgans, and won plenty so the judges (mostly western breed owners) didn't discriminate.

Here many of our open shows and fairs offer Mini classes. At those that don't, the mini owners usually enter their minis in the pony classes, not the horse classes. Some of the fairs have classes for 11.2 and under, some for 12.2 and under and others 14.2 and under--so based on size that is where Minis are expected to show.

Latest posts

Back