First "Miniature" Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burrgundy

Reaction score
I am a long time "big horse" owner and rider, but I have been captivated by their smaller counterparts for years. I am a college senior, looking to buy my first miniature or shetland. I have a $1,000, budget on purchase price and have been looking for months. I know I want a taller horse, a type B, and I would like to eventually delve into Combined Driving and some breed shows with my horse. I do not have much interest in comformation classes, but I do want a well put together horse. I missed my dream horse a few months ago, due to my horse search being sidelined by the house hunt. She was a downright gorgeous blueroan mare, who just stole my heart. However, I do currently have a horse in mind, but I honestly don't know much about him as of yet.

I was just wanting to introduce myself, and see if anyone had any suggestions or opinions as I am an open book, and I would love to be privileged enough to soak up the wealth of information present on this forum. I am located in Lexington, Kentucky and if anyone else is in the area and willing to meet up or have me at their farm I would love to stop and chat miniatures!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Burrgundy -

Welcome from NC!

If you are into the "B" size miniatures, you should see about having your post moved to the main Mini forum instead of this section on ponies. You'll get more reads of your posts and "meet" more people. I post here as most of our "minis" are actually Shetlands, with only a few being true minis by size. I also post in the Driving Miniature Horses section and the Mare Stare section.

There are several folks from KY on this forum and a couple are active on the Driving Miniature Horses section, too. There is an active segment of Mini owners in KY and you just missed the AMHR/ASPC Convention which was held in November 2013 in KY. And right now I'm drawing blanks as to who is in KY... hate being sick! Befuddles the mind.

Anyhoo - welcome again, have fun in your new endeavor and for sure search out all the various sections of the LB Forums. Their GREAT!!

Oh thank you, I will message a moderator about having this moved!

Welcome to our forums! Good luck in your search, hopefully some of our members here will post with advice on what to look for and questions you need to ask. You are on the right track! having some knowledge can sure save you grief later.

Please make sure you first read our rules here

Welcome to the forums
default_smile.png
I to have gone from being a big horse owner and rider to the miniature world (will always have a big horse but not showing)

Oops, sorry for the link!! Wont happen again!

Generally, ebay isn't the place to buy harness. That one doesn't look to have proper proportions;straps(such as the neck strap for the breast collar and support straps for the breeching, are very 'thin', might well be prone to undue stretching or breakage.Ozark Mountain is one vendor who has some reasonably-priced basic harness; I'm sure others here can contribute the names of other vendors that offer quality at decent prices. Welcome to the wonderful world of minis, and good luck!

Margo in NM(driving for 28 years)

I have an appointment to go and take a look at an AMHR 35" gelding on Tuesday, and I will let everyone know how it goes. I have also purchased a few Miniature Horse specific books from Ozark Mnt. and I have my first driving lesson scheduled with the Gala Driving center in Kentucky for Friday. Hopefully I am on the right track!

I also did a horrible thing today and visited my local "catch all for the past 40 years" tack shop and found a box of old miniature horse tack! The owner started throwing out $5 and $10 prices and I started my new "mini" tack collection! Two leather miniature halters, one bridle to serve as a basic ground driving headstall in the very beginning, a light weight lead rope with a smaller snap, a miniature sized grazing muzzle (I was informed I would need this eventually!), nylon beginner ground driving lines (to be reinforced with my sewing machine), a 3 1/2" bit, and a lighter weight long line, I left, called my SO, and had a good laugh since I had went in there for just a dressage whip! Luckily he knew what he signed up for!

default_xreiter.gif

Wow! sounds like you are off to a GREAT START!!! let us know how your visit with the gelding goes.

WELCOME!!!
default_smile.png

My biggest advice is.......TAKE YOUR TIME. Too easy to fall in love with any and all minis (I'm guilty too LOL) so take your time looking for just the right one. He/she won't just be a mini, he'll be your partner and friend.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back