Finding registration papers?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonnie's Mom

Reaction score
I bought a mini mare recently and her former owners lost her registration papers when they moved.
sad.gif
I am not interested in showing her or anything but for fun would love her pedigree, birthdate etc. Any way of finding this out. All I have is her name which is Bonnie Belle and her previous owner's name. In MI. She is white with a Palomino head and blaze. 32" Registered "A" I believe.

Bonnie's Mom

Her former owners can request a replacement certificate and then transfer to you. I suggest trying for that, you will be glad you did.

Thanks, may try that. Of course her former owner is in the midst of pregnancy herself and having some problems so not sure if that is high on her priority list.
rolleyes.gif

I am such a stickler for records and such I can't imagine losing something that is important like that. At least to me it would be.
unsure.gif

A pregnancy shouldn't keep her from picking up a phone and calling AMHA. It isn't hard to get a replacement certificate. She'll probably need 4 up to date pictures which you could supply. It is well worth it for you to have the papers.

Ginny StP

Maybe if I have the number all ready for her and photos and everthing she could do it. I take it there would be a fee? Any Idea the cost? I paid very little for this girl and wouldn't mind paying for new papers if necessary.

Hello Bonnie,

Yes there is a fee of $20.00 and you could pull the form off the AMHA website or should I say she can print a copy off the AMHA. If the mare is close to be coming perm then the fee is a extra 25.00 a long with the 20.00 for lost papers.

Hi

Thanks, that is helpfull. Just printed what I believe would be the 4 required photos and will check out the paperwork for the rest. Perhaps if I do the footwork I can get them before all is forgotten.
aktion033.gif

Tracy (Bonnie's Mom)

equestrian said:
Hi Tracy,
Sorry for calling you Bonnie and I hope this all helps you get her registered. I also look on the AMHA studbooks and there is no horses named Bonnie Belle. There must be some prefix to her name if she is registered with AMHA.

Darwin

493530[/snapback]

I had a similar problem. Here's the procedure:

Print the following documents from the AMHA website:

The work order http://www.amha.org/pdf/gap/WorkOrderFeeSchedule.pdf

and

For the ownership transfer: http://www.amha.org/pdf/reg/TransferSaleFormALL.pdf

For the lost papers: http://www.amha.org/pdf/reg/LostCertificateForm.pdf

Fill everything in (that you know, e.g. you probably don't know her registered name) and have the previous owner sign it. Attach four pictures ... one each from the left and right side (the horse must be completely visible including hooves) and one from the head (front with forelock pulled aside).

That should work. It isn't much work for the previous owner to fill in some gaps in the applications or sign something, so I think that should be possible.

Good luck

Carina

PS: All the paperwork must be signed by the owner of record. I'm just adding this, because in my case, the owner of record was someone else because the people that I purchased the horse from had never transferred ownership into their name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, you need a farm name. There is a horse with this name but it is not your mare. You need to get in touch with the previous owner- there is NO way I would buy a horse without it's papers!!!

I would definitely do all the legs work, take the pics, pay the fees, and drive over there for her signature. Do it! Don't wait for her to do it. It is sad that a horse with papers lose them for a silly reason. Someday, maybe you won't be able to keep her. You may have to sell her. A papered horse has a better chance in life. Might keep her out of a bad sale barn, just maybe. Good luck!

Thanks, You all have been a big help. Bonnie was bought for a pet and companion for my quarter horses. She will be here for life and if something happens to me I am lucky to have 3 horse loving sisters who will take her in a minute. We have discussed it. Also work in dog and cat rescue and have many friends that would help in a crisis situation. (boy I feel older than my years talking this way)

I had plans of getting a miniature someday as I used to work for relatives with a mini farm and they sold all of their stock and I missed them. But would not pay the prices they asked for their horses. That was several years ago. I heard of Bonnie and the price and figured, why wait. If I don't get the papers it will be fine. My quarter horses have their papers and it is nice to have but actually my one mare's worth isn't a bit higher because of them. She doesn't have good build and well, just aint a looker. She is 24 anyways now. I have had her 12 years. I do agree that in most situations papers are very important but in this one it will be ok. That said I am going to try to get them. We'll see. You guys have been great help and thanks much!!
smile.gif
She originally came from the UP In MI I think. Then to the owners I got her from so perhaps they never did transfer her. I am just glad she has had a great life so far and more to come.

Latest posts

Back