Finally got those test results back...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RainSong

Reaction score
I was really starting to think there was something wrong- the blood was drawn on the 12th of February, and here it's nearly March! So, when the phone rang (weird, it never rings that early?) and I saw "Women's Health..." on the caller ID... I pretty much knew what was up.

Turns out my Testosterone levels are hight (thus, the horribly embarrassing facial hair growth), and my Triglycerides were high. However, my overall cholesterol is normal- and my blood pressure is low. The Testosterone and Trigly's (plus the hair growth and other symptoms) provide a positive diagnosis: I have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. The one curiosity is the low blood pressure- apparently a lot of women with PCOS have high blood pressure.

I've got an appointment for the 14th- I'll be prescribed a low dose of a med that should work to lower/correct the testosterone and trigly levels. It's a med used for people with high blood pressure, apparently- so I'll have to be watchful for dizziness and the like, and we may have to switch meds.

It means that Nathan truly IS an angel and a gift, as one of PCOS's "lovely" effects is a large decrease in fertility. Considering everything- I'm actually not surprised, and I'm sort of glad we'd already pretty much decided he'd be our only kid! It explains (to a small extent) the weight issues I've had since puberty (no matter how much I ate or did not eat, how much I worked, I couldn't get below 150lb, when I should be closer to 130lb!).

It's kind of a relief to know -why- the female workings have never worked normally! It's also a relief to have part of my health issues finally diagnosed. Just one more piece for the puzzle! And one more step to possibly being a bit better off!

I've got PCOS,too. It's a condition that varies widely in severity and symptoms. I'm not too bad off, sounds like you aren't, either. Guess if we have to have a health issue, this is "better" than many!!
default_smile.png

I've got PCOS,too. It's a condition that varies widely in severity and symptoms. I'm not too bad off, sounds like you aren't, either. Guess if we have to have a health issue, this is "better" than many!!
default_smile.png
It is, really. It's got it's bad points, but if you compare it to cancer or something... it's really not so big a deal!

It may be the cause of quite a bit of my fatigue, though- that's a lot harder to deal with. It's pretty hard to get up and go when all you want to do is sit down and sleep.. all the time.

I'm the same way at work - tired all the time, hard to get motivated - really I feel like I could lay down and take a nap anytime! And yet somehow when I'm outside doing physical activity I'm a completely different person!

So bring on SPRING!
default_smile.png

Now you know and can move forward with what treatments

they offer. That's a big step forward.

Hopefully the meds offer you some assistance with the

tiredness, too.....

Beautiful Nathan is truly a gift whether he be one of one or

one of many.......

I did find it odd I was so happy to have a diagnosis- even if it was "You're sick"!

I am a little more energetic in spring/summer- but lately even good weather hasn't made me more active, just a little happier. I haven't been sleeping well, etc o.o That's a huge part of it- not sleeping.

Nathan got a lot of cuddles today, and honestly, I'm so blessed to have him. Even if I don't always know it and see it. He doesn't know what's wrong with Momma- I was contemplating going for a walk with him, but my sciatica returned yesterday in one blindingly painful stab, and I'm not getting around well. But he was so sweet and took a nap with his poor tired Mama.

I was very very lucky. Still am- one diagnosis of many still needed, but one step along the path of help to get better!
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back