Finally getting our barn, so our boys should be here next weekend

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrichmond

Reaction score
Back in July, we put a deposit on a 2 stall barn that was supposed to be here in late September/early October. We found our colts at the end of July. They were weaned at the end of September and were ready to go October 12th. Due to lumber shortages courtesy of the pandemic, the barn delivery schedule got pushed off a few weeks.

Patience is not one of my virtues, especially with regard to these much anticipated horses. We’ve been joking that they’ll be grown before they get here, but it looks like we’ll have them next weekend...the barn is being delivered on Monday. Of course instead of the beautiful weather we’ve had, I’ll be putting up a fence in the rain this week. Oh, well, I’m sure it will be worth it in the long run. I can’t wait! 😁🐴🐴😁

I was thinking about you and wondering why we hadn't heard about you getting your boys home yet, so happy this is all it was 😊. You won't mind the fencing in the rain...much, you'll finally be ready for them. Looking forward to hearing how wonderful they are!!

May I ask where you are getting your barn from. Our therapy program is looking for one.
We went to our local shed company and looked at run-in sheds from Fisher Sheds out of Ohio. We wound up getting one 8x18 with 2 stalls and a feed room. I’m kicking myself that we didn’t get it larger. Last year we had this building built onsite by JDM Structures, also out of Ohio. I wish I’d used them again...I’m really happy with last years building. The local company dodged phone calls and would return them when I did leave messages. They’re literally 2 minutes from my house, which is the only reason we went with them.

Attachments

• 73675E4D-5786-40EA-A64E-A461E3308E22.jpeg
    73675E4D-5786-40EA-A64E-A461E3308E22.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 10
We went to our local shed company and looked at run-in sheds from Fisher Sheds out of Ohio. We wound up getting one 8x18 with 2 stalls and a feed room. I’m kicking myself that we didn’t get it larger. Last year we had this building built onsite by JDM Structures, also out of Ohio. I wish I’d used them again...I’m really happy with last years building. The local company dodged phone calls and would return them when I did leave messages. They’re literally 2 minutes from my house, which is the only reason we went with them.
I've been disappointed how poorly people have communicated this year.....our hay supplier, and people that had minis for sale. :confused:

Our boys are home! The previously liver chestnut who now seems to be black is Theo and the pinto is Ziggy (our working name, but not sure it fits). ❤️🐴🐴❤️ They seem to be doing pretty well. We had a thunderstorm with hail that finally got them to go into the stall where they got thoroughly rubbed down. We followed that up with an hour or so of playing in the sun to finish drying off. They’re not thrilled with halters going on and off, but they’re getting used to it. They’re very sweet boys, but seem to like me best when I’m seated, closer to their height. When I stand, they get nervous. I have a patio chair, but need a folding stool that can get out of the way more easily.

Edited to add: Not to worry, I won’t leave halters on them unless I’m right there watching them...I’ve seen too many ugly things happen.

F68ABC22-E3C4-47BB-822A-609C65BB3484.jpegB926C8EC-D872-4D34-A4D5-324E87940A5B.jpegA3A5C840-FFE9-447D-A17F-78FBC578C4BE.jpegACBB8190-3C56-4673-8676-23F3D7B7E1DF.jpeg

Welcome home!!!!! So sweat!
You can make the halters safe by cutting off the nylon the buckle is attached to and replacing it with something they can break if they have to. A shoe lace, leather strip, cable tie etc. It's not pretty but it works great.

A little off topic and a little on topic, what is the best way to get your mini used to being caught and a halter put on? I don't like ours running around with a halter but I also want to be able to grab her with out a huge chase....I can start a separate forum if need be.

A little off topic and a little on topic, what is the best way to get your mini used to being caught and a halter put on? I don't like ours running around with a halter but I also want to be able to grab her with out a huge chase....I can start a separate forum if need be.
Not sure if this is how the big kids do this, but this is what worked for me. I sat so I was eye-level with them in their small paddock. I put a halter inside my sweatshirt so I didn’t have to search for it. I made a loop with a lead rope by snapping it onto itself. I put the loop over my right arm and took a small tray of pellets and shook it with my left hand. I very slowly eased the loop up over Ziggy’s ears as he began eating the pellets. Once he realized he was caught he pulled back hard. I held him firmly and talked quietly to him until he settled. I fed him more pellets by hand and then carefully lifted the halter up over his nose. It took a few minutes of talking to get the halter all the way on and buckled. I worked the lead rope back off and snapped it to his halter. I still had one more to catch and halter, so my neighbor Rich held Ziggy and blocked the way so Theo couldn’t sneak past. I used the lead rope lop, pellets and quiet talk strategy again, but Theo reared jp and hit the end of the rope nearly sitting down. We were near a solid fence, so he was limited in how far he could go. It took a couple of minutes for him to settle, but he got lots of “good boys” and “easy does it” Unfortunately I forgot the halter, so I looped the end of the lead rope over his nose and through the neck loop. He didn’t want to walk forward, so I pushed against his neck away from me, so he was moving and then asked him to come forward by tugging on his makeshift rope halter until we got to the one I’d left on the fence. I was able to get it on him without a problem. Rich and I walked them together for a couple of laps around the field. Theo was better walking than Ziggy, but they both did pretty well, considering they’ve only been walked a few times. We took the leads off and let them graze. It was interesting to try to catch them an hour later, but I was able to herd them back into their smaller paddock. I had to rely on the tray of pellets again, but caught each and led them into the stall they’re sharing. These 2 are the first horses I’ve had who aren’t interested in apples or carrots...I guess I’m lucky they’re really interested in the pellets. I’ll try this all again tomorrow. I think it will take a little time to get them to accept the halter, but they are really curious and really like the brush on their necks...here’s hoping they’d like to make it a habit. I’ll let you know how it goes.

If you're having problems catching Squirt you need to do some relationship type work with her. It's about them wanting to come over and be with you not having to be caught. To keep it really simple here you can go out to her paddock and walk towards her, as soon as she looks at you turn around and leave. Keep doing that till she is aware and looks at you when you first walk into the paddock. When she's looking at you walk over to her(if she stops looking at you move around a bit but not towards her, make some noise, anything to get her attention, till she looks at you again), give her a carrot slice, scratch in a favorite spot etc. then leave. Do that for a bit and she should start following when you leave or moving towards you when you go in. Then move on to putting her halter on, scratch etc. take her halter off, leave. When she puts her halter on well then take her for a walk. Think of it as building blocks, the first steps have to be good and then you can add the next till you have what you're trying to accomplish. It sounds like a lot to do but you can do it quite quickly, you don't have to stop after you walk away just give it a couple minutes and go in again.

mrrichmond, I'd do something like this with your boys too, but of course it's completely up to you. I wouldn't worry about the halter until they were following without one and standing with you for scratches and pats, then introducing the halter slowly shouldn't be an issue( use it to rub them then get them used to it hanging on them). Hiding a halter or anything you're trying to sneak up to them with tends to make them lose trust in you.

If you're having problems catching Squirt you need to do some relationship type work with her. It's about them wanting to come over and be with you not having to be caught. To keep it really simple here you can go out to her paddock and walk towards her, as soon as she looks at you turn around and leave. Keep doing that till she is aware and looks at you when you first walk into the paddock. When she's looking at you walk over to her(if she stops looking at you move around a bit but not towards her, make some noise, anything to get her attention, till she looks at you again), give her a carrot slice, scratch in a favorite spot etc. then leave. Do that for a bit and she should start following when you leave or moving towards you when you go in. Then move on to putting her halter on, scratch etc. take her halter off, leave. When she puts her halter on well then take her for a walk. Think of it as building blocks, the first steps have to be good and then you can add the next till you have what you're trying to accomplish. It sounds like a lot to do but you can do it quite quickly, you don't have to stop after you walk away just give it a couple minutes and go in again.

mrrichmond, I'd do something like this with your boys too, but of course it's completely up to you. I wouldn't worry about the halter until they were following without one and standing with you for scratches and pats, then introducing the halter slowly shouldn't be an issue( use it to rub them then get them used to it hanging on them). Hiding a halter or anything you're trying to sneak up to them with tends to make them lose trust in you.
That makes good sense, Taz. I guess maybe I’m rushing them quicker than I should. We have all the time in the world. Do you think it’s ok to leave them in the paddock with the stall open so they could go in at will? It isn’t supposed to rain for a few days. It was rainy, then really cold and windy the second night they were here, so I put them in. I just didn’t want them to be cold after getting wet.

I think it's perfect to have the stall open all the time they're out so they can go in to be out of the wind/rain/snow( 😩 ) and sun in the summer whenever they want. Do you have it set up as one stall inside for them to share? They are so cute!

Three of them were weaned together in one stall, so it’s what they’re used to. I don’t think it’s big enough for when they’re grown, but I think it’s ok for now.

Reactions: Taz

Latest posts

Back