FINALLY! A hay guy worth having.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]Last year we had the hay guy from *^^%*&. He wouldn't answer calls, then would show up out of the blue. He left the second cutting in the field before baling for a WEEK. He let the 1st cutting get rained on because he cut & baled several DAYS after he told us he would (when the weather was perfect), right before a STRONGLY predicted storm. Then the bales were crap. The round bales fell apart when we tried to move them and the square bales did too.[/SIZE]

This year we thought we found a good guy. He kept in touch, baled the first cutting when he said he would, even put our half in the barn, because when the weather cooperated, we were out of town. Then he dissappeared, phone disconnected and after 6 WEEKS of trying to reach him because the field was ready, he actually called and said he told an aquaintance a MONTH before that he couldn't cut our hay, assuming the word would get passed on to us eventually
default_frusty.gif
: I wanted to call him, but Steve wisely would not let me :new_shocked:

So, one of our neighbors volunteered to cut it. WOW, we have USEABLE hay...what a novel experience. He says he wants us happy, so he can come back next year. :new_shocked: We have plenty of hay for next year, round and square bales and it's IN THE BARN...I have a wonderful husband
default_wub.png
: !!

The last of the hay was put in the barn Monday and today we have had a steady, soaking rain that should continue through tomorrow at least. Maybe our hay luck is finally changing!!!! :aktion033:

We've experenced some of those very same things, I wonder if these guys travel around the country doing cruddy work or maybe they are all related? :eek:
default_wink.png
:

The neighbor who is doing our hay now is fantastic! His wife is a horse person so he knows the right way to mow and bale hay. YIPEE! When I open a bale it is so nice and green and smells so sweet. Cattle men aren't as worried about hay. So if it lays in the field for a few extra days before or after bailing, or gets rained on, they don't stress they just use it. It took forever to teach my hubby that all hay is NOT equal!

So sorry for your bad experience!

We have a hayman worth his weight in gold. I look at good hayman like a good auto mechanic....just keep him happy whatever it takes! LOL!!!! :bgrin He is ALWAYS tops on my Christmas card list......

A good hay guy is worth his weight in gold! :aktion033: I do hope that your "hay luck" is changing.
default_yes.gif
:

The guy who harvests our hay is extremely conscientious, and keeps on top of the weather reports and harvests accordingly. All of our hay has been absolutely wonderful. It sure beats having to hunt down good hay to buy!
default_smile.png

[SIZE=12pt]Steve and I had the hay guy talk recently and I am NOT wanting to offend anyone who does this for a living, but when Steve asked why we were running into so many flakes, I said that maybe the guys who do this for a living,and are NOT prebooked every year, do seasonal work because they don't actually want to really work. The guys who are booked for every year, ahead of time, work their buns off, the guys who have just shown up wanting to cut our hay have been pretty flakey.[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back