Final foal arrived safely!!! But what color?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimule

Reaction score
Finally a "textbook" delivery this year!! Watched the mare all day to have her foal at 4 am
default_wacko.png
. Oh well....worth it for a healthy, happy baby.

HE is definitely a dun but what color is he? His sire is a grulla and momma is a sorrel. This boy seems lighter than a bay so can he be a silver bay? His mane and tail have a "dusty" color to them.

lilboy04.jpg

lilboy05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He could be a silver bay but still could be a regular bay. You would be surprised how much he will darken, even his mane. We had a buckskin with really light mane and it turned black eventually and my liver chestnut had really light brown mane and tail and now it is turning a dark brown that looks almost black in some light. I would just call him a bay for now because that is how he looks to me but that is my personal opinion.

Congrats though he is a cutie!

He looks bay to me. A very cute bay, at that
default_wub.png

default_wub.png
AWWW...he is a cutie pie!!!! Looks light bay to me...does he have socks or is it just the lighting?

Dun tends to lighten a horse's color, so if he is dun, that is why he is lighter-colored.
default_smile.png
Lucky you!! I would love a dun, and of the four foals I've had so far this year sired by a stallion who carries a dun gene,none have inherited it. Three more chances!

Congratulations on your darling baby!!
default_wub.png

Has the mare ever had any silver foals before? I would *think* that a grulla would show silver if they carried it, but it could hide very easily in red. Hmmm...

Definitely dun.
default_biggrin.png
My stallion has sired 9 foals, 7 have been duns. One non-dun was a palomino, one silver bay, both out of my palomino mare. Not sure on the socks yet. It does look like he has white on either side of his tail, more than just the typical "foal tail" and a big star. Daddy is also LWO+ so he could carry a pinto gene.
default_yes.gif

lilboy.jpg

Congrats on your colt! He looks bay to me
default_smile.png
So maybe a bay-dun?

Finally a "textbook" delivery this year!! Watched the mare all day to have her foal at 4 am
default_wacko.png
. Oh well....worth it for a healthy, happy baby. HE is definitely a dun but what color is he? His sire is a grulla and momma is a sorrel. This boy seems lighter than a bay so can he be a silver bay? His mane and tail have a "dusty" color to them.

lilboy04.jpg

lilboy05.jpg
he looks bay to me (unless he has a dorsal stripe then dun would be an option) my silver bay was born with a lighter mane and tail. the black mane tail and legs darken with age.

Congratulations!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah I'm glad things finally went smoothly for you. He's a cutie pie!

I had a foal almost that same exact color with a dorsal stipe, born to my dunskin mare,, he shed out a very pretty grullo.

Latest posts

Back