Final conclusion from vet about the

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracerace

Reaction score
Sorry to start a new topic, but I want people to be aware of how this works.

Lacey was being treated from the start for an intestinal infection, and it was the infection that put her into the hyperlipidemia. Her trigliceride level rose so fast, so quickly that there was nothing that would have saved her. He said that vets are very cautious about treating with insulin (since that is the only treatment they are aware of for the lipidosis) as they can crash a mini with insulin. He also said he would not have initiated that treatment without the liver biopsy - and that would have taken 3 days for results, and she died in less than that.

He also said she was not obese (relief from my conscience), but he did say my pony IS obese, and we discussed a plan for him.

Ginia, I forgot to ask him about the karo. He'll be out again in a few days when the new filly arrives, and I'll ask him then.

SO, I've learned a lot.......I will take temperatures more aggressively because if I had taken her temp one day earlier when she seemed "stiff" (again, I misinterpreted it - she appeared stiff, but it was weakness) perhaps we could have got the infection under control before lipidosis set in. Perhaps not.

Thanks again everyone for your kindness and support.

Glad you found out what happened to lacey...I know I will put this in my horsey file for future reference if needed.....Sorry about your Lacey. Theresa

I'm so glad you found out what really happened with Lacey. Please don't beat yourself up with "what might have beens." Nobody knows everything, and we all learn new things all the time. We just have to be willing to keep learning, and go on. My prayers to you still as you deal with your grief.

Rita

I am so sorry I know how hard it is to not second guess yourself when something goes wrong but I have to say thank you for posting your story and information I am sure it will help others

I'm so sorry about your little Lacey. Thank you for posting this for us so that we may be better informed.

so sorry for your loss, but thanks for sharing the info on the results so that we may all be better informed.

nothing will bring your girl back to you but hope this helps"

"I'll lend you, for a while, a horse of mine," God said.

"For you to love while he lives, and mourn when he is dead.

It may be six or seven years, or maybe twenty-three,

But will you, till I call him back, take care of him for me?

He'll bring his charms to gladden you, and shall his stay be brief,

You'll have his lovely memories as solace for your grief.

I cannot promise he will stay, as all from Earth return,

But there are lessons taught down there I want this horse to learn.

I've looked the whole world over in my search for teachers true,

And from the throngs that crowd life's lanes, I have selected you.

Now will you give him all your love–-not think this labor vain,

I fancied that I heard them say, "Dear Lord, thy will be done.

For all the joy this horse shall bring, the risk of grief we'll run.

We'll shower him with tenderness and love while we may,

And for the happiness we've known, forever grateful stay.

And should the angels call for him much sooner than we planned,

We'll brave the bitter grief that comes, and try to understand."

I am sorry for the loss of your little mare Lacey but I thank you for your honesty and willingness to try to help the rest of us. This is a condition that I'm sure most of us are not aware of and it has really opened my eyes! Thank you again for this information and know that Lacey may be helping many other horses with this condition.

Bev

Latest posts

Back