Filly colicking with cycle?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeperofthehorses

Reaction score
This is in regards to my shetland filly, but thought I might get more answers here. My 23 month old filly has acted colicky for one night every 28 to 30 days since April. And tonights the night for June it looks like. I just pulled out all of my bills
default_wacko.png
: and confirmed the pattern. The last time was May 23. This is the same as the last two. Fine at breakfast, then quiet, doesn't finish lunch, doesn't want dinner, subdued gut sounds, just wants her head in my lap. No rolling or going down yet, touch wood.

Banamine and oil has brought her around easily each time.

The mare next to her was acting crabby today, the 'bad mare day' thing, and I'm pretty sure she's coming in. I'm wondering if the filly could have sync'd with the mare's cycles. Have any of you had mares that get real ouchy with their cycles? Or could this be a filly/puberty thing? If it is her hormones, is there anything I can give her to make this easier for her?

I no more than get one vet bill paid off and I'm making another call...

I have a couple of mares that will act colicky during their heat cycle - right on schedule - month after month. It is expensive and frustrating, but you really have no choice but to treat them because sometimes when they are in heat and urinating frequently they actually DO dry themselves out and kind of get impacted. It seems to run in one of my mare's bloodlines and several of her daughters have acted this way - altho she never has.

I can totally sympathize with you from both the emotional toll it takes as well as the financial one!

If you find an answer I would love to hear about it. I do know that the herbal liquid "Hormonize" helps somewhat, but not completely.

Stacy

Yes, I had this a few times now- they do grow out of it!!

I treated with Banamine at "aspirin" level, the same way you would yourself.
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back