Filly-Bubble Butt??? Concern?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amysue....read her posts more carefully...she says she DOES have hot wire running along the gaps in the boards on the portion of fence that is shared by her mares and stallion!

A friend had her mare bred through a 6' chain link fence....
default_whistling.gif

Amazing how fencing could be such an issue with such a little horse. They do know how to keep us second guessing our decisions!

Thank you all for the input. I’ve thought about what you all have said and made my decision/s. When I read on the internet, I try to exercise critical thinking, so when I read comments from people on this forum who have tens of thousands of posts and a farm url I can visit and snoop, I really respect their opinions.

My largest initial worry was the “bubble.” At this point, based on what the vet said in addition to what I’ve read here, I’m going to hold off on giving Baby a procedure (Caslicks) that could potentially be unnecessary.

Regarding fencing: That was a bit off-topic, but it has given me food for thought. I don’t want any more horses but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if Nicky bred the mare. I would be slightly less enthused if Nicky bred his own daughter, but on the other hand, from what I’ve read; horse breeders do just that and call it line-breeding vice in-breeding. So then, as long as Baby doesn’t have Caslicks done, if she were bred, it wouldn’t be the absolute worst. PLEASE NOTE... I have no plans to breed her; I am just really doubtful that Nicky would or could do it under our current fence conditions. I could be wrong. Hopefully I won’t be back here a year from now whining about unintended pregnancies.

The husband is on vacation and we have some work to do on that section of fence so we’ve talked a bit about various methods of “shoring” up. For example, amysue mentioned the garden fence; not sure if she meant the panels or the stuff on rolls. The rolled stuff is flimsy and hard to work with in my opinion, but the galvanized panels are really sturdy and pretty affordable. So that might be an option to add a little more security.

I’d also like to say a big thank you that no one lectured me about how I should geld our old, blind guy. I’m just not taking that risk to his health. One neighbor was visiting and after observing me cuddling Nicky, she commented that I loved Nicky more than my husband; she maybe was right, or close anyway.

I hope you girl doesn't need surgery. Poor thing
default_sad.png

As far as how far do you go to keep from allowing an accidental breeding, even if it seems unlikely to happen? You do *whatever* it takes. I went so far as to send my dream horse back to his breeder because both testicles hadn't dropped and I couldn't have him gelded. Sure, I could have kept them part with a lot of effort on my part. But in the end, I absolutely do not want to breed, do not want to risk my mares with pregnancy and did not want to mess him up mentally from being kept in close proximity to my mares without access to them (for breeding or just for company). I still wish things were different...he is an exceptional animal.

So property value, chunk of change or whatever. I'd definitely be separating them further.

A neighbor had a horse that had a Caslick's done more than once and almost died in a very short time frame from infection. They thought they had her cleaned out and did another- same issue. She got so sick so fast it was awful. I know of another that did die from an internal infection from it, so it is not as 'simple' as people make it out to be sometimes.

Thank you Laurie (HGFarm) I am nervous of having anything done that opens the animal to infection.

windgnut (Joy)... Nicky is my dream horse; I love him to pieces. From reading here, I don't guess his type is all that popular anymore; he's a big old chunky guy and mini-horse people seem to want to make their ponies look like Arabians or something. Additionally, I can't just send Nicky back somewhere, even if I were so inclined, because I bought him at a creditor auction when the Nordstrom daughter went bankrupt. Once I brought him home, he was mine; and by-the-way, he's cost me a fine chunk when he had his eye injury. Nicky has (what appears to me) fully developed, fully dropped, and rather large testicles. I'm not going to risk his health whacking them off. It really doesn't cause us too much effort or impact our property value or chunk of change or whatever.

Latest posts

Back