Fighting to save another foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppyLover2

Reaction score
http://www.marestare.com/cam.php?alias=triplek

4:11 - They've turned the camera off. Sure doesn't sound like good news. Is this a worse than normal year or am I just connecting to the difficult births? MareStare is showing 13 Angels for February already.
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.marestare.com/cam.php?alias=triplek

4:11 - They've turned the camera off. Sure doesn't sound like good news. Is this a worse than normal year or am I just connecting to the difficult births? MareStare is showing 13 Angels for February already.
default_sad.png
I honestly don't know if its a worse year, or if we just know about more of them, because more are using services like mare stare.

And now, an angel foal at MRF. They say trouble comes in cycles, hopefully the cycle has bottomed out and we are moving into an upswing!

It sure seems like everyone is getting more than their share of bad foalings. I must admit that it is making me kind of nervous. My first mare up is a tiny maiden mare.

Man I gotta stay away from MareStare. The last 3 I've watched have been Angels. I feel so bad for everyone and am beginning to feel like I'm jinxing everybody.
default_sad.png

The season often starts out with lots of losses, but gets better as it goes along with less problems and losses. Just something I've observed over the years.

The season often starts out with lots of losses, but gets better as it goes along with less problems and losses. Just something I've observed over the years.
I wonder if that doesn't have something to do with how early in the year some of these foals come, nature intended for mares to foal with spring grass and sunshine, not hay and snow. Just a thought. No matter the reason, its so sad.

Interesting observation, Kim.... Perhaps it's because the earlier they happen, the more human interference?

Plus with the ability to share on the internet, we hear of more problems.....and it's the problems we tend to remember.

Interesting observation, Kim.... Perhaps it's because the earlier they happen, the more human interference?
Plus with the ability to share on the internet, we hear of more problems.....and it's the problems we tend to remember.
I think part of it is because it's out of the natural season for horses, but part of it could also be you hear about more and remember the problems.

I do think that problems can occur and do at anytime, but seems to be higher in the early months.

with the ability to share on the internet, we hear of more problems.....and it's the problems we tend to remember.
I suspect this may be a large part of it. At the farm I mentioned, they had 4 relatively uneventful foalings with good outcomes, prior to the one that turned out badly. They have also had another since then that was so uneventful, they almost missed it! It does seem that we have a greater tendency to remember trauma rather than joy.
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if that doesn't have something to do with how early in the year some of these foals come, nature intended for mares to foal with spring grass and sunshine, not hay and snow. Just a thought. No matter the reason, its so sad.
There is spring grass in CA and in some places here in Nevada. I had a mare (big horse) foal Feb 4th and it was 4 degrees when she foaled. We dried the foal and for a day or two she wore a down vest (I didn't have a foal blanket) and she was fine. I do not the time of year has anything to do with the number of foals dying. I do think it could be the amount of human intervention there is. There are some mares foaling that wouldn't get pregnant with out drugs and human help.

If mares are going to foal out too early, well you will see it earlier in the year!

Sometimes there is a problem, so the mares will foal early to terminate the pregnancy? So you see it a lot earlier in the year?

Plus, everyone is hyper-vigilant about their own expectant mares and their foals are not safe on the ground yet, so it does stick out in your head when you read about something going wrong.

I don't think it's more than usual, myself...

Andrea

I agree- one of the most common times for mares to abort is in their 8th or 9th month and I imagine that would be about now for many of these mares......... so I dont think it is unusually high in early spring- that is when things are going to be hitting this time frame.

Back