Fence Eating Minis-Any suggestions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Contessa

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here although I have been reading these posts for months now. I have 6 miniature horses-one stud and 5 fillies and mares. Our first foal (a filly) was born here 4/23/07 and is a beautiful sorrel and white pinto. They are all my "babies"!! My problem is that for some reason about three weeks ago, 3 of them decided it would be cool to eat the wood fence my husband so painstakingly built for them. One started it and within days 3 were chewing the fence! :DOH! I've gone through 2 bottles of Chew Stop, a bottle of hot sauce and give them all the hay they want plus miniature & pony grain. They will walk away from the hay to chew wood! I also have mineral blocks so I can't see where they are lacking in anything. It is the 3 youngest ones that are doing it. Any and all suggestions would be deeply appreciated.
default_biggrin.png
Tammy

They are probabally teething. Chewing is a TERRIBLE vice. that why I have electric fence.
default_biggrin.png
Are they bored? Try to give them suttin to do!

Well barring changing your fence to electric or smooth wire, creosote the fence.
I thought creosote was banned. We used it 20 years ago in New Mexico when we had Appaloosas and that stuff did work! Is it still around? I do like the idea of covering the edge of the wood with metal. We just built and painted this fencing this summer-can't replace it!

Putting metal on the edge may work...
default_biggrin.png

If it is a wood rail fence, top the boards with PVC pipe...
Hmmm I like that idea and yes it is a wood rail fence. Should I have it cut in half and push down over the tops of the boards or just tie the whole thing? Dumb question I know, but just wondered how you meant it. Tammy

Are you feeding enough hay?
Well, their nicknames are Pork, Chop and Wow Your Butt's Getting Big
default_yes.gif
Yes they are are getting enough plus some. I am beginning to think it's boredom and not enough exercise. They have plenty of room to exercise themselves but won't unless I make them. Right now there is alot of mud in the lower half of their paddocks and I haven't been pushing them for fear of them sliding and getting hurt. It's not a coincidence that the chewing came when the mud did. I just answered my question!
default_aktion033.gif

"Well, their nicknames are Pork, Chop and Wow Your Butt's Getting Big"

OMG that hit my funnybone!!

Good ideas here for saving a wood fence (adding to mental computer file)

Latest posts

Back