Bark eating!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlottein

Reaction score
Arrrg. My daughters 2 year old filly has taken to eating the bark off my fruit trees! I have most of them protected by lattice, but I thought the mature plum and apple would be fine, but she is damaging them now. I used lattice to protect the apple, but I have 3 plum trees and that is gonna get pricy... Sigh. It is def. a habit or I guess boredom and not nutritional and their diet is well balanced. Anyone else have this happen and have suggestions other than just blocking them?

Do you think spraying them with something bitter would work? I don't know how often you would have to reapply, though.
Is she alone....Farah was eating the bark on the Carrot Wood tree, but, she only did it when she was alone.

Hmmm... My horse pasture is full of fruit trees, plums, peaches, apple, & pears. I’ve only noticed my biggie eating the leaves this past fall. The minis haven’t touched the trees that I’ve noticed. Does she have enough hay and grass available to her? My grass is sparse in the pasture but mine have access to unlimited hay. Maybe a muzzle might help?

Good luck! Keep us updated!

I use t-poles and circle of wire mesh fence and protect the trees when they are young. Usually they don't do too much damage to an older tree, but if they are determined I guess they can. I would think boredom, plus it probably tastes good. There are a lot of things you can try but save yourself the aggravation and put up a physical barrier. Pretty sure plum is toxic to horses, just like cherry, but I haven't researched that lately so you might want to check into it.

The plum pits are toxic I think the bark is ok. I read that fruit tree bark is tastier. She is with my gelding, so not alone. And she isn't cribbing luckily! My gelding has been around these trees 10 years, and other than some leaves now and then he leaves them alone.

You can buy a spiral plastic wrap for trees that is economical. It winds around them and expands. We had to protect several of our trees from porcupines and deer. And horses. My horses enjoy elms, mulberries, and pecan. They would certainly damage the fruit trees if they could get to them. My horses are not bored or starving--they just enjoy different menu items and possibly the novelty of seeing what they can destroy.
The spiral wrap is worth looking into for young trees. We had to put a chicken wire fence around the mulberry for the first 5 years or so; they couldn't resist it. Guess it is too tough now.

Latest posts

Back